• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYWEST Pilots: SAY NO TO ALPA!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
interesting to see alpa spend money to get skywest pilots tied into the whole alpa gig. 2% of 2500 pilots making average of 50k/year is about 2.5 million dollars/year would sure give all those hard-working alpa secretaries/executives/whoever a nice bonus check.

wait, weren't alpa employees on strike since we weren't making enough money? hmm...

sounds like i need to buy stock in alpa.

Skywest pilots: Time to know what ALPA is and is not. ALPA is not managment. ALPA and Air Line Pilots do not run airlines. For some reason Skywest pilots think that ALPA ruins airlines? If so, they explain how and why? Keep in mind that a CBA is an agreement. With the RLA the company only has to agree. They are not forced. Why would a company agree to a contract that would put thier labor cost out of control?

Right now SW pilots have no voice. It is not that no one hears you, it is you have no lungs, throat, voice box and mouth to expell air to make noise in the form of words and sounds. You have no house. No office.

If you choose a union then you will get delivered to your property the nails, tools and raw materials to build your house. But YOU will have to build your house.

If you want the best materials for pilots then ALPA is your source.

ALPA is a resource not a service.

P.S. When the Skywest pilots have an aciddent... will the NTSB include you?

From any given accident listing on the NTSB website.....

Parties to the investigation are the Air Line Pilot Association, Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, Federal Aviation Administration, Northwest Airlines Inc., and the Professional Flight Attendants Association

Now because many of the fence sitters have jumped over to the side of legal representation, they can all of a sudden talk about a raise again. I don't like being lied to, I could care less if we get a raise unless it's significant. I don't think it will be much in these times anyway.

I hope you don't think ALPA is going to get you a raise...if they do it won't be anything noticeable in your paycheck..we have a ton of great benefits for extra pay here at skywest...then it'll be in place for 3-4 years as a contract...THEN you'll have 4 years + of negotiations for another raise...ask an ASA guy when the last time they got a raise was? 7 years ago, and still no sun on the horizon...I would support an IN HOUSE union, just GOD forbid we get ALPA...

I hope you don't think ALPA is going to get you a raise...if they do it won't be anything noticeable in your paycheck..we have a ton of great benefits for extra pay here at skywest...then it'll be in place for 3-4 years as a contract...THEN you'll have 4 years + of negotiations for another raise...ask an ASA guy when the last time they got a raise was? 7 years ago, and still no sun on the horizon...I would support an IN HOUSE union, just GOD forbid we get ALPA...

You are so amazingly clueless it isn't funny. I think the 12,000 hour SkyWest captain you're berating knows all about the "great benefits" and "extra pay" you get there junior.

Bonus question: if management wants to play obstructionist tactics to prevent any meaningful negotiations from taking place, what difference would it make if ALPA, Teamsters, or an in-house union was sitting on the other side of the table? The end result would be the same, no?

Skywest pilots: Time to know what ALPA is and is not. ALPA is not managment. ALPA and Air Line Pilots do not run airlines. For some reason Skywest pilots think that ALPA ruins airlines? If so, they explain how and why? Keep in mind that a CBA is an agreement. With the RLA the company only has to agree. They are not forced. Why would a company agree to a contract that would put thier labor cost out of control?

Right now SW pilots have no voice. It is not that no one hears you, it is you have no lungs, throat, voice box and mouth to expell air to make noise in the form of words and sounds. You have no house. No office.

If you choose a union then you will get delivered to your property the nails, tools and raw materials to build your house. But YOU will have to build your house.

If you want the best materials for pilots then ALPA is your source.

ALPA is a resource not a service.

HELP ME, HELP ME, I have no voice or throat or thoarax, but I'm trying to build a Tuff Shed.....

So dramatic

HELP ME, HELP ME, I have no voice or throat or thoarax, but I'm trying to build a Tuff Shed.....

So dramatic

Well, at least it got your attention.

CFIT, your arguements against ALPA are from a position that ALPA is this organization that decides for you. Rather ALPA is more democratic than the US gov't.

ALPA is the resource. The car, the map, the gas, and support. However, the Skywest pilots will have to get in the car, work together and firgure how and where they want to go. Problem is, often, ALPA is brought on the property and pilots sit around and say "I'm not going to do it, you do it" and the organization gets a bad reputation. This is why ALPA wants to see some sort of an organized structure before before they go live.

CFIT- time to change your argurment. Get rid of the street education on unions and how they work and start debating the issues from reality. Your favored child status will not last forever. The RJ era is ending. The BK era is winding down.

When the music stops will the Skywest pilots have a say in their placement? In addition, the outside world is getting closer with foreign control and globalization. Do you have sound arguements as to how the SW pilots will be immune to these forces?

Simply put, the SW pilots are a state with no representative in Congress.
If the SW pilots had charges against them the District Attorny would be thier represntation.

You have no voice or if you do have one it doesn't have your sole intrest.

The time to "build your Ark" for the coming rain is now. Don't wait for the flood. Sorry for the biblical reference, but it is applicable.

Last edited:
ALPA is the resource. The car, the map, the gas, and support.

Sounds like the car is broken or breaking down, the map is useless, gas is running out and there is no support at most, if not all, ALPA regionals. Hmmmm, no thanks. Not a very good 'history' of the 'resource.'

However, the Skywest pilots will have to get in the car, work together and firgure how and where they want to go.

I want to work for a company that is strong now, prepared for the future 'rainy days,' and is nimble and willing to adjust to an ever changing and more competitive market. So far (without ALPA), I have those things.

Your favored child status will not last forever.

34 years plus and counting...........

When the music stops will the Skywest pilots have a say in their placement?

Will the ALPA regionals? Please give current examples of how union pilots at Mesaba, Comair, ASA, etc. are 'strong arming' their managements in having a say?

In addition, the outside world is getting closer with foreign control and globalization. Do you have sound arguements as to how the SW pilots will be immune to these forces?

Do you have equally strong, or better yet stronger arguments (since you're trying to sell this idea-don't burn down my house unless you can build me a better one) how union represented pilots will be immune to these forces?

The time to "build your Ark" for the coming rain is now. Don't wait for the flood. Sorry for the biblical reference, but it is applicable.

who is currently experiencing a 'flood' and who is 'rising above it' thanks to their 'ark'?

signed,
Former ALPA

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back