Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest may finally have a reasonable chance of voting a union in...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

120% Torque

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aCke89dDAcbU

This policy change will not allow the apathetic pilots that never take time to find out whats going on to hurt a vote. Also it will make it more difficult for the David Livingstons under the direction of Ford/Harrison to parrot "dont pick up the phone".

The majority of those who vote yes or no will decide but you have to vote to be counted as a yes or a no. Good news!

I think we may have a pretty good chance of at least certifying SAPA. The "we have it better over here" mentality is rapidly changing at SkyWest. I know we are in the great recession but the erosion of benefits and quality of life here over the last year or so have been enormous.

Thanks for all you do

Whatever you do, don't vote in ALPA!

Carriers have de facto corporate unions in the form of the ATA and RAA. Why should we not have an organization protecting our interests? It seems like a bit of a double standard.

I think we may have a pretty good chance of at least certifying SAPA. The "we have it better over here" mentality is rapidly changing at SkyWest. I know we are in the great recession but the erosion of benefits and quality of life here over the last year or so have been enormous.

Thanks for all you do

While most of what you say is true. I'm wondering why you think THIS TIME management has gone too far? Management has a long and successful track record of screwing the employees just enough to make them mad, but not enough for employees to do anything about it.

Clearly management HAS gone too far, but the bottom line is the score is about 10 - 0 in favor of mgmt. You'd have to be a sucker to bet that employees will actually take any action.

....to be voted off every regional carriers property and get their own representation that looks out for their interests. Not ALPA's.

I may have never met you before, and I know I'm totally sh!tfaced at the time, but I think I have my first bro-mance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aCke89dDAcbU

This policy change will not allow the apathetic pilots that never take time to find out whats going on to hurt a vote. Also it will make it more difficult for the David Livingstons under the direction of Ford/Harrison to parrot "dont pick up the phone".

The majority of those who vote yes or no will decide but you have to vote to be counted as a yes or a no. Good news!

I've been through two union drives at Skywest. I asked a lot of Skywest pilots for their thoughts on UPA and ALPA during those times and I didn't find anyone who was 'apathetic'. All the pilots I talked to had a good understanding of the issues. The issue is not that a majority or even some of the pilots were apathetic. A majority of the pilots at Skywest made the conscience and informed decision not to vote for ALPA or UPA.

If I were to think about it a bit I would probably be insulted at your insinuation that the only reason why someone would not have wanted ALPA or UPA at Skywest was a lack of concern for their future, their career or our profession. I have never found any evidence to support the idea that the union drives failed at Skywest due to some of the pilots being too lazy to pick up the phone.

Cheers,
Scott

....to be voted off every regional carriers property and get their own representation that looks out for their interests. Not ALPA's.

As appealing as that sounds, you might want to look into the economics of ALPA as it pertains to where the money comes from. I have, and the "majors" basicly support the regionals in the ALPA world. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a seperate union to represent the Regional airline pilots, but the economics just are not there. The regional pilots as a whole take much more from ALPA than we contribute to ALPA in the form of dues. There is a possibility that with some really creative alliances (ie. APA, SWAPA, USAPA, and the IPA) that the regionals might have a chance at finally getting some stand alone representation, but it wouldn't be in the near future. Of course with anything there has to be a start to the whole idea, and this comes from the pilots themselves. If you think Regionals can do it better on their own, then I would encourage you to voice this to your reps and MEC officers....

Latest resources

Back