Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest may finally have a reasonable chance of voting a union in...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not so sure ALPA was pushing hard to get the age 65 thing to pass. It was a ICAO deal, that the FAA decided to accept. ALPA changed their tune after it was going to be a sure thing. Helped shape the regs...not push for them.

The Skywest pilots would, under ALPA or UPA, have stronger grounds and a far better support system which we could use to sue the company for breech of contract, which I think is what your getting at.
I've always loved hearing that out of a reps mouth.
Who signs the paycheck? Not ALPA.
Who's company is it to run? Not ALPA.
Who's company is it to shutdown after losing a big lawsuit? Not ALPA.

The fact that these ALPA chest thumpers actually believe that they can keep an airline from shutting down, accepting or declining aircraft....they need to pull their heads out of the sand.
Management has been pushing ALPA around for the last 75yrs. No? Look at all the pay cuts the pilots have taken and all the multi million dollar bonuses management gets.

Its is a legal buffer between to the company, the FAA and you.
These are ancillary benefits. The primary purpose for ALPA was to ensure decent wages for the pilots....not just the executive officers and Prater's fat ass.

These are ancillary benefits. The primary purpose for ALPA was to ensure decent wages for the pilots....not just the executive officers and Prater's fat ass.

Don't you think that the buffer of which I spoke, included something called the RLA? Work rules, safety, etc all ancillary? Get that word from the thesarus?

This rule can be used in reverse to toss unions. All it will take to decertify is the same majority of voters. This will end up tossing more unions than putting them in place.

Incorrect. Under the current rules, apathy was far more likely to result in a decertification being successful. If you go to a decertification vote under the current rules, all it took was 50% +1 to forget to vote, and all representation would be decertified. Under the new rules, that risk disappears, and it's far easier for an incumbent union to protect their bargaining rights at the carrier.

The primary purpose of ALPA was pay. Everything else was/is secondary. Didn't you read Flying the Line?

Also incorrect. When created, ALPA's primary purpose was protecting its members from getting killed in incredibly unsafe working conditions. Pay was secondary.

Also incorrect. When created, ALPA's primary purpose was protecting its members from getting killed in incredibly unsafe working conditions. Pay was secondary.
Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Read Flying the Line and Hopkins spells it out for you. Safety was a byproduct. You need me to quote it for you?

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Read Flying the Line and Hopkins spells it out for you. Safety was a byproduct. You need me to quote it for you?

Go right ahead, hot shot.

After the union drive

Intervewing ton's of ex union airline pilots right now, all trying to gets jobs flying on-demand air cargo out of YIP. ABX, DHL, Midwest Express, NJ and others. Union did wonders for their careers.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back