• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skybus Toast

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude.... Did we go to the same school???? Pretty much sounds like my college education as well... I bet we had way more fun then UND/ERU grads and we ended up in the same spot as them... Not bashing them..... But COMON guys..... ITS COLLEGE.. Did none of you see Animal House.. Graduate with a 3.0, drink as much cheap beer as you can, and chase *&SSY.... Best time of my life....

Best time of my life as well;party like there was no tomorrow,red the books once in a while,enough to graduate in accounting but totally obsolete.would need to go back to college and start almost from scratch.

However, what is really the deal here?

Is GIA and Skybus counter to what we stand for as free market capitalist in a ultra competitive hyperconsumption market place?

You might know my postion on Wal Mart....

As pilots we shame pilots for "whoring" at GIA and Skybus. We chide passengers for paying $99 Transcon fares...

but isn't that what our economy is all about? Because as pilots, we will quick look for the cheapest product and serivces in other industries but demand economic buffers and excemptions for ourselves!

Look, I am playing devils advocate here... and also stating that we as pilots can be hypocrites.

Discuss?

To say most pilots are hypocritical is to try and treat this issue as black and white. There are degrees of unethical behavior. Becoming a scab is the worst degree. PFT when it is all but obsolete and at 30 grand to boot in order to avoid an interview is also far from ethical. By the way, working at GoJets is definitely as close to becoming a scab as one can get. Unless you grew up Amish, ignorance in this electronic age is fairly inexcusable. All it takes is a cellphone call or an internet search to research the popular view among the pilot community of carriers such as Skybus, Gojets, Mesa and Gulfstream. If I switched careers, it wouldn't be hard to figure out what's looked down upon in that profession.

Most newbie pilots don't know about flightinfo, Jetcareers, and other pilot sites on the internet. They do their research by visiting the many websites of the aviation schools and comparing them to each other. From the view of a consumer, that makes perfect sense. When they see that some schools offer a guaranteed job at the end of training, they view that to be a better "value." They aren't thinking of it in the same terms that you and I are, because they are new to the industry. You have to try to put your mind in the mindset of a complete newbie that knows nothing about this industry. From their perspective, your assertion that they should "know better" is absurd, even in this internet age.

To say most pilots are hypocritical is to try and treat this issue as black and white. There are degrees of unethical behavior.

But who decides what is ethical? the Moniker Messageboards?

Becoming a scab is the worst degree.

There is a solid, "black and white" line.

PFT when it is all but obsolete and at 30 grand to boot in order to avoid an interview is also far from ethical. By the way, working at GoJets is definitely as close to becoming a scab as one can get. Unless you grew up Amish, ignorance in this electronic age is fairly inexcusable.

But it is also the American Way!

All it takes is a cellphone call or an internet search to research the popular view among the pilot community of carriers such as Skybus, Gojets, Mesa and Gulfstream. If I switched careers, it wouldn't be hard to figure out what's looked down upon in that profession.

Yet, we are not talking about switching careers. We are talking about niave, excited young kids...

So really.... whats the solution? More moniker messageboard hatin?

If GIA is such a cancer then how do we stop it?

If anyone knows about this issue it is PCL. He's learned from his mistake and is willing to work the issue. Chiding him is wrong... he's a great way to educate the newbies. Lucky for you guys he is smart enough to stay issue orientated and not pack up his marbles because a few emotional GIA haters treat him poorly. That says more about them than him...

Last edited:
From their perspective, your assertion that they should "know better" is absurd, even in this internet age.

But they should damn sure know better than to get all self-righteous about the paychecks of guys that didn't pay for their training. Skybus lowered the bar, but your PFT gig hit everyone else in the face with the bar.

You have zero credibility.

Trying to pass yourself off as the authority on how pilots should behave is embarassing. You are just one step above the lowest of bottom feeders.

Yes, keep worrying about the tiny 1900 operator in Florida with 200 pilots, meanwhile real problems are actually threatening your profession. Glad your eye is on the ball. :rolleyes:

But they should damn sure know better than to get all self-righteous about the paychecks of guys that didn't pay for their training. Skybus lowered the bar, but your PFT gig hit everyone else in the face with the bar.

You have zero credibility.

Trying to pass yourself off as the authority on how pilots should behave is embarassing. You are just one step above the lowest of bottom feeders.

Why you hatin'?

But who decides what is ethical? the Moniker Messageboards?

There is a solid, "black and white" line.

But it is also the American Way!

Yet, we are not talking about switching careers. We are talking about niave, excited young kids...

So really.... whats the solution? More moniker messageboard hatin?

I think the general pilot community considers what's ethical and to what degree and clearly Skybus and Gulfstream are shamed more than average. Not just on the message boards, but hanger/crew room talk. To say it's the American way to further your way at any expense or at the expense of others is poor citizenship. I certainly wouldn't call Jonathon Orstein an all-American business man. There are plenty of respectable success stories of making it without trampling over others to such unethical degrees.

I think the general pilot community considers what's ethical and to what degree and clearly Skybus and Gulfstream are shamed more than average.
Most pilots don't even know who GIA is. When I tell Captains I fly with that I worked there, the typical response is "who's that?"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back