Skybus' "rules of the sky"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Careful

I'm also aghast at the wages and level of service.
But, they haven't crossed any lines. Don't cheapen the meaning of scab.

I think they are going to do just fine. You'll be shoulder-to-shoulder with trailer trash fatties with t-shirts, flip flops and body odor, but hey, the ticket is cheap.

So it will be like Southwest and Airtran then? They will do just fine!!

Sounds like a Ryanair wannabe where most of the revenue comes from inflight sales, baggage fees, and advertising. As a passenger, I would fly this company. I don't need a lice ridden pillow, to watch some shi%%y movie, with my watered down cup of oj. Many of the legacies have an inferior product to the LCC's.

As a pilot, this company nauseates me. I hope they have a short history. Plus I think CMH severely lacks the O & D traffic to support their operation.

This rat hole circus act of a company needs to be nipped in the bud quickly. Can you imagine, if they have even the slightest success, all the clones to follow?

Taking from the website:

On Skybus, you pay only for what you check. The first two bags are
5 bucks apiece. After that, it’s $50 a bag (yeah, so pack smartly).

Most people love our full cocktail bar and food menu, but if you’re not
into that, it won’t cost you a penny. Why should your ticket price include
your neighbor’s dinner? That also goes for blankets and pillows–which,
by the way, you get to keep if you buy. Oh, and don’t sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the whole plane.

We don’t have a phone number. Seriously. We’d love to chat, but
those phone banks are expensive. And a good website like skybus.com
is even more convenient.

You probably won’t see any agents at the gate until boarding time. Remain calm. Just print your boarding pass at skybus.com and relish in the savings.

Yeah, we’ve got preferred seats. Sort of.​
There are no fancy reclining beds onboard, but you can pay 10 bucks extra
to board our brand-new A319 airplanes before anyone else.

Tickets are nonrefundable.
Refunding a ticket costs everyone, so we don’t allow it. Of course, our tickets are so cheap that it wouldn’t have been much of a refund anyway. If you need to change a ticket, your punishment for breaking a date with us is $40.

Where do I apply?:nuts:

$60K/yr Captains and now this..

God help us all! Where are we going? Where I ask?

No flame here, but I would not underestimate the price sensitivity of the US consumer. If Skybus makes a go it (ala Ryanair's business model in Europe), it will be because they make enough revenue from tickets to just cover the cost of ACMI, and the profit margin comes from advertising and other fees.

My in-laws live in CMH, and although they are not trailer-trash, as retirees I can assure you they would buy $10 tickets and put up with a lot of hassles to fly confirmed to many destinations with little or no frills (and their daughters fly for Delta, American and USAir!). The leisure traveling public could care less about the amenities that passenger carrying major airlines provide, which is one reason Southwest is so successful. Just give them a cheap seat and get them there in one piece. Anyone can suffer for a couple of hours on a plane to get where they want to go for little or no money.

This is a major threat to our industry (my wife is a pilot for Delta), and if successful, every MBA from Stanford to Harvard will try to figure out how to incorporate these business practices at the majors.

Although I am skeptical that Skybus will be successful or profitable, it will be worth monitoring closely. The future impacts of this business model could be very significant - in a bad way.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

Latest resources

Back