• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sign of the coming hiring boom

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that you are passing this on, but I do have to question the logic here. Are all low time pilots excellent, but then become poor performers the more experience they get? If so, will hiring <800 hour pilots mean they will become poor performers between 900-1500 hours at the regional? Or do they only lose brain capacity while teaching others how to fly? How does this work?

Yip himself and those at his conference are trying to create this false narrative about the 1500 hour rule to try and undermine the new law. Disregard his spin on this matter. Actually, disregard most of what he says.

Last edited:
WRONG! You should really do some research into the figures your spewing as facts.

straight from the FAA website they issued 8,559 commercial certificates and 4,677 ATP's this is in 2011 alone! data for 2012 is not yet available.

I think the ATP numbers are because regionals are handing them out to fo's during recurrent sim checks. Don't know about the commercials.

Not good for our pilot shortage though......

WATS (World Airline Training Symposium) @ MCO pilots and the no show rate for interviews and class date is increasing. All regional reported they have almost no pool to draw from. You might be able to pull this stuff from their web site

I remember being at the Job Fairs in the mid 90's all the majors said that had 12,000 applications on hand from qualified applicants, by 1999 those 12,000 had been hired and they were having trouble finding expereinced pilots.

So you're a management pilot, right? You seem to be very concerned about a pilot shortage which I imagine soon will be or presently is a problem. I would also assume that good airline management recognizes problems down the road and plans for them now.

What specific, concrete steps are you and your management team taking NOW to assure that you have the pilots that you will need to run your airline 6 months from now? A year from now? 2 years from now?

So you're a management pilot, right? You seem to be very concerned about a pilot shortage which I imagine soon will be or presently is a problem. I would also assume that good airline management recognizes problems down the road and plans for them now.

What specific, concrete steps are you and your management team taking NOW to assure that you have the pilots that you will need to run your airline 6 months from now? A year from now? 2 years from now?
Thank you very much for the promotion at my company, I hope it comes with a pay raise LOL.:laugh: I am a guy who trains and checks DA-20 pilots. I have very little input to airline management on how they will approach this problem.

I also administer the recruiting program. I have watching this hiring situation for over 45 years. It comes in cycles, the term "Hiring Boom" may be a bit of a misnomer, that ticks you off, but swings in hiring are very real in this business as we all know. We see the start of a hiring change on the lower end of the business first. The places that have the least desirable jobs, on-demand and regional. I saw in 1989, 1999, 2006, and see it starting again.

My company upper management does not seem to concerned about future hiring. In fact they are profiling that we not hire pilots who are looking at passenger airline career path. Don't hire the young guys who will be looking for other jobs, only hire local guys, only hire pilots with prior experience in the on-demand business, Nice profile if you can find them.

We have been living with a 25-30% no slow rate for both interviews and classes. All I can do is take the raw material they give me and pass'em or bust'em.

Last edited:
Ever think of what is going to happen if you are on the tail end of the hiring?
People in training now are not going to be able to go from zero hours to 1500 to regional airline captain to majors on less than 10 years. We are already seeing 5 year plus upgrades at the regionals. Figure 2 years min to go from zero to 1500. 5 years to upgrade. 2-3 years as captain to get hired at a major. 10 years give or take.
Those who are starting today are going to be very disappointed at the time it will take to "make it".

Yip adds interesting opinons and perspective to these conversations. Don't bash him just because you don't like what he is saying.

Thank you very much for the promotion at my company, I hope it comes with a pay raise LOL.:laugh: I am a guy who trains and checks DA-20 pilots. I have very little input to airline management on how they will approach this problem.

I also administer the recruiting program. I have watching this hiring situation for over 45 years. It comes in cycles, the term "Hiring Boom" may be a bit of a misnomer, that ticks you off, but swings in hiring are very real in this business as we all know. We see the start of a hiring change on the lower end of the business first. The places that have the least desirable jobs, on-demand and regional. I saw in 1989, 1999, 2006, and see it starting again.

My company upper management does not seem to concerned about future hiring. In fact they are profiling that we not hire pilots who are looking at passenger airline career path. Don't hire the young guys who will be looking for other jobs, only hire local guys, only hire pilots with prior experience in the on-demand business, Nice profile if you can find them.

We have been living with a 25-30% no slow rate for both interviews and classes. All I can do is take the raw material they give me and pass'em or bust'em.

Well, no wannabe airline guys, huh? So much for your advertisements about guys going from your airline to the majors!

Those who are starting today are going to be very disappointed at the time it will take to "make it".

I've already been in seven years with no "making it" in sight.

Well, no wannabe airline guys, huh? So much for your advertisements about guys going from your airline to the majors!
That is my recruiting promotion, not exactly what management would like. however they are faced with the dilemma, if they wait for the perfect local guy, the classes will go unfilled, because that guy is hard to find. So we get the time builder who is looking for TJ PIC, Check airman letter and moves moves on. They do a good job, I pat them on the back when they leave and wish them the best. I stay in touch wit h many of them and most have no hard feelings about their time at USA Jet. Besides by replacing a 5 year guy wit ha 1st year we are saving the company money.

WRONG! You should really do some research into the figures your spewing as facts.

straight from the FAA website they issued 8,559 commercial certificates and 4,677 ATP's this is in 2011 alone! data for 2012 is not yet available.

It does not show how many of those commercials were to foreign students too. I fly with a bunch of new FOs who have been instructors and most of them have been training all foreign students

Latest resources

Back