• Start date
  • Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
go to UPS without questions!!! It's a no brainer. Just look at the history of each company. cal pilots talk about the great things to come a year or 2 from now. Have things ever been great at cal in terms of job security and pay? The career today is all about job security and it's with, and always has been, cargo.

Just recently had an 18 year NWA Captain start with UPS.....that's gotta say something......

As for the uninformed people saying things about the back of the clock and time zone changes (Like CAL doesn't fly international) don't listen to these guys. Ignorance is bliss and idiot thats have no clue give out bad info. I got recalled to Delta and bypassed and haven't even looked back. My buddy just went back and he's flying 80 to 90 hours a month hard time and bitchin up a storm. To each his own I guess.....has your buddy ever been furloughed? Where does he want to live or commute to? Be based? How much money does he want to make?

Upgrades and movement? Both have good career progression, but I can tell you first hand that the left seat at UPS in ANC is around 4 years and with a little extra flying (400 to 500) hours a year working the system you can clear 300K... thats on the low side and 4th year pay. Not bad if you ask me, but its not for everyone. With the like of skybus(who res), VA, MaxJet, EOS, and all the new douc hebag airlines that'll start up tomorrow..... you have to think about stability more than the "childhood" dream of flying pax across the pond. Thats my take on it..... the whole starting over, getting furloughed, mergers, bankruptcies ... blah blah blah... UPS and FEDEX are not the end all be all, but more stable than any other flying job out there. Good luck to your friend....

and for all you informed pilots that only think of night flying when you think UPS and FEDEX.....

the only decent airline out there I can think of that does not do all nighters is Southwest....
and remember... I said decent airline not a pos start up. And let not get started about the idiot that posted the multi time zone changes, cause that CAL 777 going from IAH to LGW always... always...... stays in the same time zone and flies only during the day :rolleyes:.

I would stay at CAL, EWR is an easy commute from just about anywhere. ANC can be a real pain.

I have been on both sides and even though the boxes don't talk back, I do miss the FA's and the pax from time to time.

At some point you need to just be happy where you are and accept it. Right seat in 777 and not working much is a pretty good gig.

Don't listen to anyone on this board. Talk to your family and come up with a plan on your own.

Good luck.

Well, I have 6 more months till my probation year is over at CAL. I have to admit, getting through your probation year is harder than I thought. Luckly, I have a supportive family and a wonderful wife. Also, I REALIZED I NEEDED TO SAVE MONEY to get through my first year, so that's what I did. If you plan it right, it's not a big deal. But, with that said, I don't have a huge amount of debt and no kids. So, if I'm having a hard time with my first year, I can't imagine how it would be for someone with a family. I think I'll get an offer soon for UPS, but I'm not too sure if I'd go. My wife and I just moved up to the Northeast and love it. I just decided to be happy with where I am and to stop trying to make the "best" decision. After awhile, you have to stick with something and stay. If you want to go to UPS, fine.....if CAL, fine. Who really cares!! If you and your family are happy, that's all that matters. Either place, you'll make good money. Enjoy your family........

I was saying as a 2nd year FO at FedEX, you can make 128 an hour. You have two options for this:

One: Go to SFS (available as a new hire almost always)
Two: Go to ANC (was available as a hire option for a while, also available as a quick bid out of the FE seat)

Takes a LONG time to make that money at CAL.

Not sure about UPS though, and since this is a CAL and UPS thread, I apologize for hijacking it with FedEX stuff.

I smell a poser here. The first thing you said was:

So far, W2 wise, I definitely did the right thing. (128 an hour currently, vs the 65 an hour I would be making at CAL)

First you're making 2nd year wide-body pay after 6 months. Now suddenly you're talking what a 2nd year FO could make. I thought you were happy with your current W-2.

Also, if you were really at Fedex, you'd know we don't have "quick bids out of the FE seat". It's been well over a year since our last bid. Anyone hired into the back of the 727 since Jan 2006 (supposedly a year before you) - is still there unless they traded training dates with someone.

Dude, give it up - you're not fooling anyone.

Want to redeem yourself in case I'm totally off base.... What's the title of the latest Airbus FCIF dated 6/29/07.

Fox-Tree: Right on, right on.

HIRED in 2007??? dude your not at 128 an hour till year 2 pay... and right seat in the bus is what you have listed? We havent hired anyone except a couple Subic guys into the bus...

The last Subic, right seat, newhire was in my class in Aug 2006.
Delusional.

Airbus FCIF?

Want to redeem yourself in case I'm totally off base.... What's the title of the latest Airbus FCIF dated 6/29/07.

Fox-Tree – I’m not purple but may I take a guess? Please??

Is it:

Airbus FCIF "RUDDER USE FOR DUMMIES" (“dummies” a.k.a. “pilots” in Aibus lingo) 6/29/07

Am I right?

Last edited:
Please let me debunk the myth that only cargo carriers do all that night flying. I just got back from a 3-day Paris on the 767. On Monday night we took off from EWR at 100 pm and landed around 4:30 am (eastern time). We got to the hotel around 6:30 am (eastern time) and I napped for 3 hours. I walked around the city and took a boat ride on the Seine. Went to bed over there around 10 am (700 pm eastern time) and woke up around 8:30 am (2:30 am eastern time). We flew back after a 9:20 flight arriving back in EWR around 500 pm. I got about a half hour of sleep on my break in flight. I'm beat. I've slept about 10 1/2 hours in the last 48 hours. To make things even better I have another 3-day to Oslo tomorrow night doing a very similar type schedule. I'm just tired thinking about it. Europe is great and all but the international flying is all at night. So please don't believe only the cargo carriers fly at night. Let that myth die now.

Latest resources

Back