• Start date
  • Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude, I know the guy, he is at Fed Ex. Now back to the subject.

Yeah, but the thread hijack was better than the thread.....

how did u come up with 4 yrs since the most jr anc capt was hired in 2000.....

Brownie,

I understand that.....

Don't forget that UPS didn't hire from 2001 till the end of 2004. Thats a huge gap for this pilot group. With all the new positions and planes MD11 left seat is going to reach 4 to 5 year guys. Now with the sim mishap and training all screwed up.... this might stretch it out a bit more. A buddy of mine in the nov 18th class is only 200 numbers from MD11 ANC Capt. slot. With all the guys settled in their cushy scheds and waiting for the state side upgrade, it will go that junior. IMO its still a better deal than CAL, but thats just me......

Not sure if there was a NOV18 class. I think it was a 16NOV class. If your buddy was in that class and we are talking 2006, you buddy would be sitting at around a 2760 seniority number. The junior ANCMD11 Captain is sitting at 2083............about 676 numbers away.

…but I can tell you first hand that the left seat at UPS in ANC is around 4 years and with a little extra flying…

…I understand that…Don't forget that UPS didn't hire from 2001 till the end of 2004. Thats a huge gap for this pilot group. With all the new positions and planes MD11 left seat is going to reach 4 to 5 year…

- Well, currently the most junior captain was hired in September 2000 so to say it takes 4 years to upgrade is simply not true.

- 4 to 5 years to upgrade in ANC in the near future? Maybe or maybe not? With the 65 years rule it could easily become 8-10, no one knows. I think your prediction sounds very possible but no one knows for sure.

Still, it’s irrelevant because I think it’s like comparing apples and oranges; frankly, with the new contract a “senior” UPS first officer will be making more money than a “junior” captain at CAL so it’s all relative. Also, if CAL & UAL would merge, the relatively quick upgrades at CAL would probably slow down when the 2 seniority lists become 1 (Gordon Bethune seems to be in favor of the merger - and investors seem to be listening to him even though he’s “retired”).

Of course, it’s hard to make decision on ‘what if’s,’ however a large percentage of airline analysts seem to agree that a consolidation in the passenger airline industry will happen within the next few years whether we, the pilots and the flight attendants, like it or not.

Personally, I think UPS is a better and a safer bet but of course I’m very biased here.

Both airlines, in my view, are very good companies to work for.

With the like of skybus(who res), VA, MaxJet, EOS, and all the new douc hebag airlines that'll start up tomorrow..... you have to think about stability more than the "childhood" dream of flying pax across the pond….The only decent airline out there I can think of that does not do all nighters is Southwest...and remember... I said decent airline not a pos start up. And let not get started about the idiot that posted the multi time zone changes…

Hey, what’s up with all the name calling? You left the pax business behind you, remember?

Let it go - those “pos start ups” don’t threaten you anymore. ;)

Cheers, we'll be OK:beer:

Last edited:
Mrvmo.....

First class on the front side of this hiring wave was November 18th 2004...... and my buddy is sitting about 200 numbers from upgrade. Not a lot of people with all the bypassing because of the scheds in ANC for the left seat. Still a sacrifice, but the left seat nevertheless.........

AV8OR.....

LOL... you're killing me man.... yes I know to let it go and I really couldn't care less about these new POS startups, but I can still give out my opinion on the fact that we (as pilots) are still our own worst enemy.

And I'll never say that we'll be alright.... dunno really, but I feel much safer on this side of the fence than the pax side. I think they're both good companies CAL and UPS.... its just what the individual is looking for and willing to sacrifice.....

AV8OR.....LOL... you're killing me man....

Oh, I don't want to do that! Wait, are you senior to me? :D

...but I can still give out my opinion on the fact that we (as pilots) are still our own worst enemy...

Very true, but can you honestly say that if you were let's say a Saab driver, or even an RJ driver for a small crappy regional you would turn a job at Skybus or Virgin America down just for the principle of it? :confused:

And I'll never say that we'll be alright.... dunno really, but I feel much safer on this side of the fence than the pax side. I think they're both good companies CAL and UPS.... its just what the individual is looking for and willing to sacrifice.....

Exactly, you never know what each and every one of us is really looking for. I feel, just like you, much safer on this side of the fence and I think for the first time in my life I actually feel content with my life. But I understand why others may choose other routes…Cheers:beer:

Just recently had an 18 year NWA Captain start with UPS.....that's gotta say something...

That trumps my story. I had a UPS newbie in the jumpseat the other day. He had 10 years seniority at Northwest and gave it up to start over at United Parcel Service.

I bring this up at the risk of insulting agitated Mesaba pilots who seem to think I'm pissing in their Cheerios when I recommend proceeding with extreme caution in buying a flow through with that company.

Of all the legacy passenger carriers in ALPA, it's my opinion that Continental has the best management at the moment. Freight carriers have better job security.

Latest resources

Back