• Start date
  • Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What did you say?? All I heard was $128/hr as a new hire (Jan 07) and nothing else.
WD.

I was saying as a 2nd year FO at FedEX, you can make 128 an hour. You have two options for this:

One: Go to SFS (available as a new hire almost always)
Two: Go to ANC (was available as a hire option for a while, also available as a quick bid out of the FE seat)

Takes a LONG time to make that money at CAL.

Not sure about UPS though, and since this is a CAL and UPS thread, I apologize for hijacking it with FedEX stuff.

And you think the EWR commute is bad, try commuting to the PI for your trips. If you started Fedex in Jan '07, you're still on first year pay. So you're not making 128/hr. It's always nice to look ahead, but you got almost a year before you make those bucks.

Aviator7576

And you think the EWR commute is bad, try commuting to the PI for your trips. If you started Fedex in Jan '07, you're still on first year pay. So you're not making 128/hr. It's always nice to look ahead, but you got almost a year before you make those bucks.

Aviator7576

I was saying as a 2nd year FO at FedEX, you can make 128 an hour. You have two options for this:

One: Go to SFS (available as a new hire almost always)
Two: Go to ANC (was available as a hire option for a while, also available as a quick bid out of the FE seat)

Takes a LONG time to make that money at CAL.

Not sure about UPS though, and since this is a CAL and UPS thread, I apologize for hijacking it with FedEX stuff.

Fellas, I can't seem to hear a thing other than $128/hr as a new hire!! My ears are still ringing with that.lol

Thanks guys, I am sure he meant some other time other than new hire.

WD

I apologize in advance because I do not fly for either airline but would really like to fly for one (only one.)

First, I think "NON UNION" should reveal a lot about the poster "who has a friend" with 2 job offers. This whole thread is based on flamebait of the most blatant flavor.

Second, assuming for a split-second that it isn't flamebait, how could someone not find the answer to this question in their own heart? There is a big difference between flying for a traditional legacy and a big cargo carrier. They both have their pro's and con's. If you're a pure, non-emotional, Mr Spock speadsheet kind of guy you simply look at payscales and job security and the obvious choice is UPS. If you're still trying to fulfill your childhood dream of flying widebodies across the pond for a traditional carrier (ala Pan Am/TWA) the obvious choice is CAL (merger rumors be danged!)

If one is lucky enough to be have 2 job offers (ie "competetive" -- ie "experienced") how can anyone not know which type of pilot they are at this stage in their careers?

Pure flamebait.

PS: Flying cargo is not for everyone! And money does notbuy happiness

Last edited:
Not really. I've helped several guys who left CAL for UPS and FedEx. One was a Texan...living in Houston. Tough choice but the stability in the business was attractive to him. I'm sure he's happy--but he also probably looks at the CAL 777s when he's commuting back and forth too....

He should go to UPS if he wants to ruin his life. Are you kidding me? How many pilots has UPS hired in the last 5 years? maybe 350. How much has their fleet grown? Try none. I think they have fewer airplanes now then they did 5 years ago. He would be junior forever at UPS. It doesn't get any worse than being junior at UPS

Ruin his life?

Ok dramaqueen. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ups !!

A buddy of mine was in the very same predicament.

He interviewed and was put in to the pool before he got hired at CAL. Right after he finished his one-year CAL bootcamp, UPS calls. He wrangled with this decision for weeks ultimately deciding to stay at CAL.

Personally, I think he was crazy for not choosing UPS. Sure CAL will get better in time but it will take us years to catch up with UPS. All that said, getting through the first year at CAL is tough (pay, no med, proby pilot reports, etc). I think he just didn't want to go through that marathon yet another time in his career. He was 40 at the time of the decision 6 mos ago.

The whole first-year thing in this career is demeaning to the profession, but that's another thread.

If your friend can handle it, I would go with UPS.

Your friend is senior to me, he should definitely leave.

Seriously, it really doesn't matter which one, either airline will provide him with a good career.

Latest resources

Back