Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SHHHH this was supposed to be a secret!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you "they do it all the time over there" guys have any idea what it takes to get a JAA license?

Yes, the Europeans and the US Military have great success with 300 hour pilots. I did some Initial Flight Training for the USAF, and those guys and girls were mostly outstanding (the others got weeded out pretty quick)!

But going Zero to Hero at AllAtps (or your puppy-mill of choice) is a far, far, far cry from either.

Here's the problem though, the crashes they cite - at least two of them had experienced Captains. (Pinnacle and Comair).

I wouldn't really consider Jesse Rhodes experienced (Pinnacle). Please don't place him into that category, for then he equals the rest of us who are. Incompetent, absolutely. If he were experienced, he wouldn't have done what he did.

Do you "they do it all the time over there" guys have any idea what it takes to get a JAA license?
Thread creep, are you wanting to know what the average Brit has to do to get a pilot license? I think it consists of several big tests, not worth the paper it"s written on unless you have the right to work over there. There are schools in the USA that are certified to give the tests.

Last edited:
In Europe and Asia it's normal for Ab Initio students to go directly to aircraft such as the A320 with less than 300 total time and less than 100 hours multi-engine time, no big deal, they do just fine.

uh huh...just read about some of their accidents.

http://www.flightsafety.org/asw/oct07/asw_oct07_p44-49.pdf

It was just a go around. CFIT my a$$. He didn't lose positional awareness, he lost control of the aircraft. FO acted with too little too late.

Did not understand automation of the aircraft. Lack of CRM and fatigue (even though they had 24 hrs off prior to duty). The controllers were had more PIC authority than the CA. Shows how much Eurasians let CA's make decisions.

Very low time compared to the average American 320 crew.

FO looks to be a product of a eurasian ab initio program. ATR and TU-154 FO prior 320 FO at 1100 hrs. No crew PIC experience. I would be willing to bet that he mostly sat on his hands after starting his airline career.

Last edited:
In Europe and Asia it's normal for Ab Initio students to go directly to aircraft such as the A320 with less than 300 total time and less than 100 hours multi-engine time, no big deal, they do just fine.
Having instructed for one of those places I can tell you there is no comaprison. Their selection process of who gets accepted (no, a credit check is not the criteria). Here it's anyone who can pay gets accepted to train. And the "customer card" doesn't work in their schools. The training is done by experienced (that is, former jet pilots) and run by airlines, not investment groups. No comparison.

It's now on the front page of Yahoo! in the form of an ABC News video from Good Morning America yesterday...

Here is that clip from Yahoo (ABC news)....

I am impressed that ALPA went on and said experience does matter......that is progress....The RAA of course said it isn't.....

Kudos to ALPA....and I don't say that often....

Who was the ALPA guy they had on....I'm guessing he is a NWA ALPA guy....

http://www.yahoo.com/s/797891

Wait, you mean a cockpit full of electronic gee whiz gadgets ISN'T a substitute for experience?

Uh oh.............

Latest resources

Back