Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice looking bird..

100LL... Again! said:
I'm sure the great god of ALPA (PCL128) will be along any minute to pontificate and lecture on how this man got his just deserts.

Hardly. I don't wish illness or death on anyone, not even a SCAB. I'm certainly in favor of denying jumpseats and shunning SCABs while at work, but "thuggery" is certainly unacceptable. Slashing tires, beatings, vandalism, etc... are all things that are completely unacceptable. If that is what you mean by "thuggery," then no, I don't advocate that.

I've known many SCABs in my short time in this career. Many of them worked at Gulfstream and we have a couple at Pinnacle also. Some of them were very nice guys, and some of them were complete jerks. In the end though, they all crossed a line and stabbed their fellow pilots in the back. They knew what they did was wrong, and yet they did it anyway. They ruined families and great airlines. The fact that it happened many years ago doesn't change the fact that it did happen. We shouldn't just forget it because it happened so long ago.

As for your mocking of ALPA and unions in general, as GogglesPisano said, I'm sure you'd change your tune if you were about to lose your job and you needed the help of that "useless" union. No matter how much some of you attack ALPA, ALPA is always there to help you out of the jams you get yourselves into. That measly 1.95% of your pay goes quite a long way. Aeromedical, legal, safety, scheduling, hotel, communications, etc... are all provided by that little 1.95%. All of us would be working 26 days a month for minimum wage if it wasn't for the hard work of ALPA for the past 75 years. Most of the safety improvements in the industry for the last 75 years are a direct result of ALPA's leadership role in safety. ALPA may not be perfect, but it does the job it's supposed to do. Mistakes are sometimes made, but that's to be expected. No organization is perfect, no matter how hard it tries.

Well atleast I'm not alone in my opinion..

Engine Thunder-

You would be amazed at how little interaction there is with a scab on a 4 day trip. We've all had lots of experience at it at UAL. We go to work, meet them in dispatch, don't shake their hand, review the flight papers, and see each other again at the plane. Only flying and safety-related issues are discussed. It gets pretty quiet during cruise.

It's funny when a scab would meet a new guy or someone who didn't know that he was a scab. Their faces would light up and they'd start talking a mile a minute- until the person finally realized that they were a scab.

Oh, I just remembered a funny story for this thread!

Once, a couple of years after our strike, I was jumpseating to go to work. There was someone on the scab list (we all carried them at that time) who had the same last name as mine. As I showed the captain my ID and introduced myself to him, he looked over at the first officer and said my last name to him with a huh? after it. For purposes of clarity, we'll use the name Smith here. So he said, "Smith, huh?" to which I shot back- "oh no, I'm not that fxxxxxxx scab, that's somebody else, I'd like to meet that bxxxxxxxxx someday and tell him he's a disgrace to the Smith name". At that point, a big grin came over both of their faces and the captain slowly turned around with perfect timing and pointed his finger at the second officer who was sitting there with a somewhat sheepish and ashamed look on his face. The captain said "I believe you just did!" It was priceless. That second officer never said a word. It was GREAT!

UAL78

Super seniority

Yeah- that was a great psychological ploy and they all did (no, there were a few people who chose not to participate) re-bid themselves all into 747 Capts, etc. When we came back, it didn't take a judge long to invalidate that little excursion into labor relations. He was back where he should have been.

Amen Tram!!

Amen Tram!!!

To refresh a few memories, Eastern did not increase activity in IAH during the CAL strike in any signifigant amount. Eastern did build a hub there well after CAL had returned to flying only to have Frank Lorenzo destroy it in his garage sale at Eastern. CAL owes a good amount of its growth in IAH to the destruction of Eastern by Frank Lorenzo.

geojet707 said:
To refresh a few memories, Eastern did not increase activity in IAH during the CAL strike in any signifigant amount.

Now that is odd. I mean I was there living through the actual strike and tracking this very type of thing in the strike center in IAH. Now just what were you doing during this time in your aviation career? Were you even out of Junior High yet? Elementary school? Are you living through events through a relative like Tram?

geojet707 said:
Eastern did build a hub there well after CAL had returned to flying only to have Frank Lorenzo destroy it in his garage sale at Eastern.

Better check six on your airline history pal. Eastern already had a hub there in IAH. It was closed long before Frank got his hands on Eastern.

geojet707 said:
CAL owes a good amount of its growth in IAH to the destruction of Eastern by Frank Lorenzo.

Is that right? Aside from some decrepit Airbus's that were sold to TAC thenleased to CAL at userous rates, Eastern assets did little to fuel the growth at IAH. Fact is IAH due to lack of gate space had little growth over that time frame. The exponential growth at IAH occured long after Eastern tanked.

Any other airline history you need correction on, let me know.

Latest resources

Back