Scab Stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T-Gates said:
Tram just epitomizes the real problem in our industry. Nobody has thier own opinions anymore. Nobody will go out and educate themselves and form thier own views.

I think this generation of pilot is nothing but a group of followers.

Sad.

You know T-Gates... until you wrote that post, I couldn't figure out what had irritated me about this guy Tram. Reading what you wrote sums up perfectly the reason for my responses. Outstanding observation.

T-Gates said:
Boeingman, thanks for being one of my continually favorite posters. It's refreshing to see other opinions not of the normal Flightinfo variety.

Thank you.

Boeingman said:
My guess he was part of the seniority lawsuit against CAL as well right?

Your guess is wrong..

T-Gates - I tried to have an opinion..

Last edited:
Hello,
An earlier post in this thread really hit the bottom line in this debate. ALPA, will NEVER be a national union for airline pilots. This is practically an absolute in my opinion. The only effective way to really have clout is to have a national union. So, this is why managment really has airline pilots by the proverbial short-hairs. My understanding of the "Scab" definition is either crossing a picket line or working struck work.
My biggest problem with the way the Scab-word is thrown around is examples of people flying struck work that belong to the same union. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this occured before? And ALPA didn't act or comment on iota. Furthermore isn't this also a reason for companies like Go-Jets, UPS, AMR, etc... have unions like the Teamsters or an in-house union to get around that? Management probably would encourage even welcome ANY union on their property instead of ALPA for this reason.
Unlike the European truck drivers, pilots in the United States just don't have the ability to paralize the transportation system by a nation-wide strike over, say a small ALPA carrier Midwest. I don't think that the national leadership would encourage that type of "brotherhood". Take the Japanese pilots, they were going to ALL strike over having a third crewmember on flights over a certain length a couple of years ago. Guess who caved on that one? Not the pilots! You won't see that EVER in the USA.
I am not sure honestly where I stand on ALPA, and I just joined the union only because the cost to administer the contract just happens to be the same as our membership dues. I think that 99% of the rank and file, local MECs are all great people with the interests of the union and profession foremost in their actions. I don't necessarily feel the same toward the national leadership, because I don't know that they really care about anyone but the higher salaried pilots (more money, more dues, more votes to stay in office )

Boeingman - I was just curious as to what exactly I said that set you off on me? I am still trying to figure out exactly what I said..

I am not trying to ask in a beligerent way or anything of the sort.. It seems to me that there is some very bad blood between you and Eastern guysnand perhaps that is what set you off, other than that, I cannot think of anything else...

T-Gates said:
I cringe at the fact that newbie Regional captains salivate at the prospect of kicking a scab off the jumpseat. I know people that are just waiting for it. Why would someone be that small?

Don't think that theese guys don't know what they did when they come and ask for your jumpseat. 15-20 years later you are not gonna change the world by kicking anyone off the jumpseat. 1/2 the people that I know that are all piss and vinegar about scabs were age 10 or younger in 1989 (Even younger when we are talking about CAL). Myself included. They just wanna do it because it's what the "big boys" do.

I guess you are refering to those in my position. I do carry a copy of the list. Only pulled it out once when a mainline guy was giving me attitude. But what would you like me to do? Just forget about the past and give these guys a free ride? I think I owe it to those who came before me to honor those who walked the line and punish those who chose to cross. Oh by the way, I was 24 and worked in the airline industry during the Eastern strike of 89.

Wow-

This thread has really brought some sharp emotions to the table.

I have an opinion. I understand what opinions are compared to. I will keep my opinions to myself (...your welcome).

100% IPA

Unions are outdated and usless. The only time I hear about them is when union members disrupt life for everyone else.

I didn't read the whole thread, but thisis a reallystupid post dude, get over your self, hire a hooker and she'll tell youa nything youwant to hear, what a douche. I'm not saying scabs are good, but c'mon, get a life!

Ok, this isn't a scab story but it's kinda sorta related.

Back in 2001 when Comair was on strike, I was working for a non-union 125/121 international operator at CVG as FE on a 72'. Here I was, on the job for little more than a month or so, still as green as they get, and every day to go to work I had to walk past the Comair picket line. It was scary to say the least.

Now for a bit of clarification, my airline did it's own thing entirely. They had one scheduled run to Cayman and everything else was vacation charter, so there wasn't anything being stolen from Comair by us.

Some of the looks I got from those Comair guys were just downright venomous, the thought of it still gives me the creeps. I could tell they were looking at me like I was just another worthless POS scab. It's not like I was stealing anything from them. I didn't even look like one of them, they had the black and gold Delta-style uniform while I had my blue and gray USAir-style uniform. It's very unnerving when you're just barely realizing you're finally an airline pilot and you were instructing in a beat up 172 not 3 months before.

Anyway, that's my story, for what it's worth.

I didn't read the whole thread, but thisis a reallystupid post dude, get over your self, hire a hooker and she'll tell youa nything youwant to hear, what a douche. I'm not saying scabs are good, but c'mon, get a life!
As usual ... Flechas is the only person here making sense. Hookers rule! :D

For the original poster ... man, you sure got a lot of stuff figured out for have'n only 800 hours and probably 20 or so years of life on planet Earth.

Minhberg

Latest resources

Back