Scab Stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow- what a great thread

This is one of the better threads I've seen because it hasn't degenerated into a scat throwing contest.

No doubt, as everyone simply tries to make their career the most successful one they can, when confronted with all the variables within the airline business and human nature being what it is, the difference between hopes and expectations versus the eventual outcomes can lead to some deeply visceral feelings of disgust and disappointment. It's certainly evident here. Mine sure isn't ending up the way it was appearing to head just 5 short years ago.

Some may think I'm wrong, but when it comes to strikes and the perceptions of what companies (and their employees- in this case pilots) should do during a strike seems a little out of whack. Isn't the general idea of legally withholding your services to your employer the central way to economically motivate management to return to the bargaining table? Then, don't both sides give a little in order to return to business and start making money again? Generally speaking, it's a war of attrition- who can hold out the longest (or who's the stupidest)? For years, airlines had mutual-aid pacts to help each other out during labor disputes. Heck, no offense, but NWA probably made more money during their numerous strikes than when they were operating back in regulation days.

Speaking of regulation and now, Alfred Kahn. Once all that was thrown out and there was "no holds barred", business was free to jump all over a struck carrier. Do you believe that pilots forced their employers to fly struck routes? In fact, it was an open policy to force a stubborn carrier to return to the bargaining table to have other airlines scooping up their customers if they were content to have their airplanes sitting at the gates. I'm not saying that working carrier pilots were doing a noble thing, but niether was it dastardly either, as some posters on this board would have you believe. If (in the case of CAL) there is some heartburn about the passengers that were flown by others (and their brothers) they are forgetting that Frank in the foreground and Alfred and the powers that be in the background had other agendas than simply providing good air commerce at a fair price with fair wages for all. Lots more going on.

Now to ALPA. I wear the pin. I've be very mildly involved. I too have a star on it- whoopee! It means I struck. It was a time that I would not wish on anybody. ALPA is what the members make of it. I believe that 95% of the rank and file are willing to let the other 5% run it. The result is that human nature- the best of it and the worst too, is well represented there. It's no different than any other organization where it has its great points, and its not-so-great points. For people to complain about it means that they forget that (just like government) you get the one that you deserve. Obviously the 95% of the members that don't get involved are apathetic enough and happy enough to let ALPA do to them whatever injustices they perceive are being done. Get over it or get involved. If your ideas are sound, one man (or woman) CAN make a difference!

Jeez- this started out to be a scab story.....what happened?

As a new 727 f/o, I was on reserve in SFO. One of my first line trips was with a Captain, I'll use his name here, Fred Sells. I noticed right away that he did not sport his ALPA pin so we all know what that meant. In briefing, he turned out to be a nice gentleman and was very competent. During the first leg, he asked if I'd like to fly all of the rest of the legs for our two or three day trip? Being young and eagar and needing the "reps", I gladly accepted.

As we flew along, he didn't say too much. He spent a lot of time looking out the side window and doing the radio work. Occasionally, we would talk a bit and I learned that he had done a lot of work at the Training Center. Through his work he had gathered over the years, many friends both on the line and within the management ranks.

When the strike came down, he struck just like the other 94% of us did. Over the next 29 days, he would be called repeatedly by his "friends" in management who used every trick in the book to try to make him cross the line. I suppose, absent any local ALPA hand-holding of "weak sisters" the company psychological ploy worked and he returned to work- and was branded a scab.

An interesting thing happened then. After the back-slapping and telling him that he did the "smart and right thing", his company friends began to treat him differently. Because he didn't go out and cross the picket line immediately at 12:01 on strike day, he really wasn't "one of us" loyal company employees, as they were called. He was a second-class citizen to them- not really to be trusted, and a scab to us. He was a man with NO support system now who had just chosen a life-altering course of action. He was essentially alone.

The strike ended and Fred returned to the line. Since he was a respected peer before the strike, he was treated simply as what he chose to be- a scab. Shunned, with no interaction from the people he used to enjoy as friends and colleagues, going to work took on a whole new set of emotions and fears. At work with a normal operation, he was more alone than ever.

Fred told me that he would meet me at the airplane with the paperwork before each leg. I don't know where he went to. All I know is that he was an otherwise nice man who made a poor choice and was in a living hell for it. We ended our trip together and that was the last time I saw him.

A few weeks later, I was in DEN on a trip when the second officer came into the cockpit with a story of what he had just witnessed in the terminal. "One of our Captains just collapsed in the terminal". Of course I wanted to hear all about it and he obliged. It seems the Captain was walking along and simply collapsed. The paramedics were called and were quickly at his side. It didn't take long for the lead paramedic to call off the lifesaving operation- he said that the Captain was dead before he hit the ground from what looked like a massive cardiac episode. I asked my flying partner who the pilot was and was told he was a Captain named Fred Sells.

What a sad way to go: friendless and hopeless.

Union thuggery really brings out the worst in people.

Good thing their influence is coming to an end.

I'm sure the great god of ALPA (PCL128) will be along any minute to pontificate and lecture on how this man got his just deserts.

Last edited:
Some of you guys seem to think this profession would have been better off without the sacrifice and courage of the early ALPA volunteers.

Do you know many safety regulations were enacted at the behest of ALPA?

Do you wonder why FDR recordings don't replay on the 6 o'clock news?

Do you wonder why we don't have cameras in the cockpit?

Do you wonder why the FAA revisited and clarified that reserve pilots are either on duty or on rest (nothing in between) or that 16 hours duty is a hard limit (a Pan Am III pilot was fired for refusing to go over)?

Do you wonder why Air Zimbabwe can't fly between LGA-ORD?

Quit running down an organization that has spent blood sweat and tears and improving your profession.

By the way, I am a union volunteer. That 1.95% is the wisest investment I make. When a CP tries to pee on my cheerios or a Fed second-guesses me in an emergency I know there'll be someone in the room with me.

-- Proud union goon

Now wait a minute...

I really have to take exception to your ideas about "Union Thuggery".

Thuggery would be where somebody takes somebody out and beats the heck out of them or threatens their children, etc. Anything less than that and still branded thuggery is simply incorrect and prejorative.

I always marveled at how truly civil the UAL pilots were as I never heard of a story where there was any physical assult or thuggish behavior toward Scabs.

I have former friends and acquaintances who have done something I considered beyond acceptance by me. I simply have nothing to do with them anymore. I suppose that you feel we were being mean to them whenever we would break out the clickers when we saw one too.

LL, those guys did more than went to work to do their jobs. In UALs case, they re-bid the airline to take our positions away. A psychological ploy by the company- yes, but all too real. Every situation at each company is different, but each has their own set of issues too.

Simply put, you and your wife have a pretty great marriage, but like all relationships, you have the occasional up or down. During a down time, one of your friends comes over while you're away and starts telling your wife that she would be better off without you and he wants to start dating her. How do you feel about that "friend" that you thought you knew now?

I won't make a judgement about you and you certainly are allowed to have your own opinions, but for you to make such statements sure let me know that you have....no, sorry, I said I wouldn't.

UAL78

ATPRN said:
Unions are outdated and usless.

Until the day you're called on to the carpet by your cihef pilot or a Fed. Then their your best friend and the dues are worth every penny.

I think the unions are a very necessary evil, for the reasons stated.

That said, I think that too much emphasis has been placed in the wrong areas, and that the so-called brotherhood is a fairly tale.

It probably does not matter to you why I think that, but my personal experiences certainly provide me with enough reasons to question whether the union has evolved into something new that is a whole different animal than it used to be.

I do not support scabbing, nor would I ever do so. How I would treat a scab would depend a lot on the circumstances.

In one extreme case, if some guy did it because he had a child who couln't make it without the health insurance or his paycheck, I would understand. Heck, I might even scab at my own airline if I had a seriously sick child and I could not otherwise afford care. I could certainly live with a bunch of pi$$ed of coworkers before I could live with the alternative.

Of course we all know that the reason most people scab is much more selfish. Thay want quick advancement at the expense of others. This is inexcusable in my opinion. If everyone ignores them at work, then so be it.

However, many people want to raise the level of verbal attack to uncivilised levels. It is one thing to smack each other around on a message board. It is another to call someone a POS to their face. And worse to damage their property. (We all know these things happen).

If I flew with someone who was a greedy scab, I would probably limit conversation somewhat. From a safety standpoint, it is not conducive to have the CRM in this state, however.

If there were extraneous circumstances, then I probably would let bygones be bygones.

I guess I've taken so many financial beatings and setbacks in this business that I really have a fatalistic attitude toward job security. Therefore, it just ain't worth getting that fired up over.

Mostly, though, I think it is my free-market mindset. If a half-dozen people scab, it won't really help the company that much anyway. If lots of them scab, then we did not do a very good job of unifying the group (I am speaking of same-airline scabbing, of course, for those who are new-hire scabs, there is no excuse).

It's a free market of ideas, and we all roll the dice.

GogglesPisano said:
Quit running down an organization that has spent blood sweat and tears and improving your profession.

So why did they stop?

I believe the quick and dirty answer to your question is that they haven't, but now the institutions who might be perceived as their adversaries have networked with others- i.e. government, politicians, big business which has a financial stake in outcomes of the industry, etc. There is a ton more of "interconnectedness" with various constituencies having interests than there ever was before.

Let's not forget the mindset of the population in general and pilots in particular either. Exhibit A would be the variety and number of posts on this forum decrying unions ALPA in particular.

On another subject of what would 100LL do, it might interest you to know that in very rare cases where a pilot had a sick member of their family who absolutely needed the medical benefit to remain uninterrupted, those people, generally were told to go to work and would have "dispensation", so to speak. All they had to do was to communicate the need. The problem with striking now is that people view issues in "shades of gray". Everybody is a relativist. Is there nothing that's truly right or wrong anymore? This trait does not bode well for any issue that our society must face today. I truly worry about us. But I digress...

Of course, virtually every scab had a sob story- like nobody else had a problem in the world, right? FWIW, I had more respect (if that's possible) for the rare scab who said: hey, I did what I wanted to do or did what I thought was right. Those guys were scarce as hen's teeth.

Take it from me, once you get a group of people who have scabbed and you get to observe them, when looked at objectively, the majority have traits of being naiive almost to the point of childishness. It was interesting to see- and sad at the same time.

Last edited:
UAL78 - This is off topic - but.. is that your 8 in your avatar? We've got a 6..

Latest resources

Back