• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic Airways posts first quarter loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To blame this on airtran is crazy.Your company and NWA and TPI did you in.
2008 was a very bad year for Midwest financially. There were three primary causes for the huge losses Midwest suffered in 2008. The first was the quick run up of fuel prices. The second was Airtran adding significant capacity to MKE adding competition to all of Midwest's bread and butter routes to East and West Coasts and Florida. Airtran had a huge advantage as their fleet of 717s/737s were more fuel efficient than Midwests 717s/MD-80s. Also, Airtran knew alot about how to hurt Midwest as they had learned alot of info about Midwest during their takeover attempt. The third reason was Tim Hoeksma really did not know how to run a profitable airline. Great service but bad economics.

So I would blame Hoeksma, Airtran, and fuel prices for the demise of Midwest and not Republic, Northwest, or TPG.

What?!

Roger, WTF are you talking about?! That is the most illogical, ill-informed and unintelligent gibberish I have ever read on this forum.

Your pay scale was better than ALL regionals out there. How can you blame any regional for that? I only blame Republic for that because Republic is the only one flying our routes for half the pay. I guess I should have made a point and called the company and said you know, the Midwest guys want their money more than my family needs mine, right? Sounds silly, doesn't it? I can't even count the number of times I've heard Republic pilots justify their culpability in lowering the bar for the aviation industry. You can't even see that you're selling out your future self. You people are so short-sighted that all you care about is putting food on your table today - when are you going to start worrying about what you're doing to this "profession" and understand that your actions today will prevent us from ever getting the industry back to a livable condition?! When we negotiate this next contract, then you can start pointing fingers if we accept a substandard contract. There were still YX pilots flying the line when there were Republic pilots on furlough. YOU are the blame for that. Doesn't sound cool when the tables are turned, does it? You were screwing your brothers and sisters. I agree sibling screwing is unacceptable so don't do it again. No I do not need to be reminded about our pay scale. But you know what? There are some things you need to be reminded of. How in the eff can the tables be turned?! Were Midwest pilots flying jets with Republic painted on the sides for approximately half of the hourly rate the Republic pilots were getting paid (on the routes that were formerly mainline routes)? Of course not!

borg,

hows life in the MCI area?

borg,

hows life in the MCI area?

I'm well. I've been enjoying time at home with the wife and son and have been doing a fair bit of contract work in Citations (which looks like could turn into a full-time gig soon). I'm admitted to law school for this fall, so trying to decide whether to hang up the headset or press on. If Republic is my best option that won't be a difficult decision...

MKE Airport management made an accounting error. They double counted the Skywest flying. Airtran reported their passenger number for the combined operation, then Skywest reported their own numbers again/separately. FL/OO would have had to run a 93.9% load factor to achieve those numbers. New Frontier is still in the lead. Analysis here:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4807858/

Dot market share stats are fine, but if you are selling seats for less than it costs to move them, you are not going to be there for the long run. RAH buying F9 to get their costs in line for "branded" flying expansion was a smart move. If you can go forward and narrow the CASM/RASM gap (from your Q1 financial results) then you will stay around (the "branded flying" of course). Your fixed fee for departure will always be there since you don't pay for gas.

Latest resources

Back