• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regions Air????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope you're right, Belch. To say these planes are MX hogs would be an understatement of the year. Reliability was improving and then it got cold outside. Management couldn't have possibly baked MX issues like these into the business plan or else they would have run from these planes. The leasing companies that own these airplanes should be paying RegionsAir to put up with this BS. Somethings on the horizon for RegionsAir, though. Let's just hope it's not the end for Regions.

The change of seasons always spurs a rash of problems. I bet the jballs are doing some wierd stuff too...they always did for the first couple of weeks of cold. They don't like it any more than I do!

Well, the older and more clapped out the airplane, the cheaper the lease...I don't know what the difference would have been to go ahead and get -B or B+'s that hadn't been parked for as long, or to sent a crew and mechanic to check the airplane out (rather than two pilots to bring it home regardless of the condition) and really I do hope it works out. But the whole thing looks like it was a good plan that was poorly executed.

The big question is "have they learned anything?"...

only time will tell.

Last edited:
The change of seasons always spurs a rash of problems. I bet the jballs are doing some wierd stuff too...they always did for the first couple of weeks of cold. They don't like it any more than I do!
Cold weather is good! The engines will actually make power, and the freon can stay MEL'ed until next year.
Well, the older and more clapped out the airplane, the cheaper the lease...I don't know what the difference would have been to go ahead and get -B or B+'s that hadn't been parked for as long
I don't think there were any.
or to sent a crew and mechanic to check the airplane out (rather than two pilots to bring it home regardless of the condition)
That's part of the problem. Very few of the MX guys had any Saab experience. The ones that did only had experience in the B(+) models, and that was over ten years ago when they all worked at Eagle at BNA.

Any of the old timers that see this know any of the corpexers that commuted out of JFK or EWR...we had a couple of FO's that went to Continental Express. If you have contact info please PM me...thanks!

The freon system on the jball is a 120 day mel as I recall. They should be written up in Feb., no later than March if they don't work. And yeah, cold is good for engines. A Lycoming O-320 rated to 160 Hp will put out 180 Hp when it's -30 F outside! The airframes like it too. Not so good for true airspeed low but that's where performance we care about counts-close to the ground! Who cares what happens at altitude-you have time to deal with the problem...

As for the questions to my last post...no, they are all straight 340 or 340A and no B or B+ as far as I know-and I know the leadership well enough to guess that they would not go with the best of the lot. If you sent a Mech along and had pilots that would ask the right questions it wouldn't matter cause they would know where to look in the manual to get an answer, experienced with that AC or not. Oil consumption can only be determined after time of operation. That shouldn't preclude parking a POS halfway home and telling the lessor to piss off, especially if you have management that is end goal oriented-they can't achieve their goal with a POS either!

But after so long with only negative activity out of HQ a new type is exciting to everyone, regardless of the condition...I can sympathize with that, even if from the outside I can't justify it.

It goes back to the old saying "you get what you pay for." I didn't invent it, but I've seen the results of managements that are willing to spend a few more bucks up front and those that don't and for the most part it remains true. Both in equipment and people (excluding upper management and their golden parachutes)...if you were to buy a clapped out 1978 Toyota Corolla that's what you get!

Ya got to take care of your people and the tools that they use to get the job done! It doesn't get any more simple than that!

Last edited:
As for the questions to my last post...no, they are all straight 340 or 340A and no B or B+ as far as I know-and I know the leadership well enough to guess that they would not go with the best of the lot.
I meant that there were no B or B+ models available at the time. They were all in service already, so they went with the A's. Not that I think they would have actually spent the money.

I doubt that. There are some B's in IGM. But there was NO WAY Regions was going to spring for them. The first 2 A's they got were the old Fina Air's. If you look at the Viva stuff when it was coming out, they (Viva) had their eyes on 2 A models that were once flown by a Puerto Rican company. 99.9% sure those are the ones 3C ended up with.

It's sad when we have FOUR airplanes and we have to cancel flights on a TWO aircraft schedule because all of the aircraft are in mx. It's been said that Continental is having Colgan bring two Saabs up to Cleveland. Does anyone smell a contract burning?

It's sad when we have FOUR airplanes and we have to cancel flights on a TWO aircraft schedule because all of the aircraft are in mx. It's been said that Continental is having Colgan bring two Saabs up to Cleveland. Does anyone smell a contract burning?

Oh Dear God...well, good luck guys...those other saabs might be for the stuff that Regions didn't get awarded.

Latest resources

Back