Reality Check for NetJets Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks FL717

I don't remember who it was that knew him, but he alledgedly according to this person who outed him is a Contenental B-777 Captain who was ex-AirForce and a Thunderbird pilot who scabbed to get on at Continental in 1987 or 1988 when he separated from the AirForce. He's a "bad apple" as someone else put it... so believe me... take what he says with a grain of salt.
There you have it folks, the one with the biggest mouth turns out to be a SCAB. I doubt we will hear from the SCAB again.

Bravo! GV

Excellent post in defense of our military pilots! Your comments re: Army transition to fixed-wing, mirrors our conversations w/the Army couples we came across. They felt very lucky to be there. Getting into fighters in the AF, though not as difficult as the Army move, was not easy and timing definitely played a large role.

My faith in humanity has been restored! Thank you, gentlemen, for being honorable and kind. (geez, it was getting kinda nasty for awhile!)

sikntired

My faith in humanity has been restored! Thank you, gentlemen, for being honorable and kind. (geez, it was getting kinda nasty for awhile!)
Blood pressure...goin' down!

sikntired

Much nicer in here, now.

SnT, In writing an earlier post, I found myself being censored (showed up on the preview so I changed it) for the stronger version of "darn". I was saying someone was ...dam lucky, but I had spelled it properly. The whole thing strikes me as rather bizarre, considering the very PERSONAL insults that you and I have endured at the hands of the SCABBY TOAD...LOL There HAS been a lot of support shown lately, and the "Ignore List" button is an excellent feature. Picture this...Les Paul standing in an empty room calling out, "Hey, where'd everybody go?"...."Who turned out the lights?"...LOL

While you're here...:)..I want to ask if your "hubby" has ever received a tip from an owner? Did you read all of that particular debate?
LaVonn-NJW

Last edited:
Reality Check For NetJets Pilots

Les Paul said:
Here is some business savvy realism for your little fantasy world:

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT THE CLIENT IS WORTH......! Client net worth doesn't generate profits. What matters is how much revenue is generated on a given flight. (Quoted from page 1 of this thread)

My Comments:

I am not an MBA, CPA, or transactional attorney. Nor am I affiliated in any way with a fractional. I was wondering, though, if revenue per flight is quite the measurement with fractionals as it is with airlines or with a "pay as you fly" 135 operation, etc. The number of pax/cargo on board multiplied by the fares paid by each would work for a "pay as you fly" operation. But a fractional's revenue stream includes initiation fees, monthly/annual fees (all very substantial) and, lastly, per flight hour revenues. To take an extreme example, take an owner paying $1M of revenue into the fractional in Year X who flies one time in Year X. Is the revenue generated by that one flight measured solely by the flight time-based revenue? I would think that how much revenue is generated by flight time-based revenues is only one revenue consideration in assessing a fractional's actual or projected profitability. Actually, it's probably a pretty complicated accounting scenario. So, while the passenger's ("owner's") net worth is not a measure of the fractional's profitability, that owner's usage-based revenue is not the only revenue stream attributable to him by the fractional (the aforementioned monthly/annual fees, etc.) Would be interesting to hear from a qualified individual on the interplay of these factors in assessing company revenues and profitability, and, if at all, crew compensation.

As for this thread, wow, it is intensely personal for some. It went astray with details of particular pilots' backgrounds, family environments, career choices, etc. It is an otherwise interesting subject: how the fractionals are faring, how revenues and profitability are evaluated for this particular business model, and the current NetJets situation in particular.

Last edited:
Pilots must be paid like the professionals they are!

Crew compensation HAS to be looked at as a part of the entire picture of the company's financial standing. Pilots' wages are taken from management fees and are definitely a business cost, just as fuel, mx, and catering are. If NetJets has to make some adjustments to their business plan in order to compensate the pilots properly, then so be it.

Sorry for all the distractions on the thread. The frustration level is very high these days for the NJ pilots and their wives. There is a closed-minded element among the posters, that sees the NJ pilots as "whiners" that should shut up or leave. NetJet pilots/families are in a fight for a fair contract. That goal, if realized, could benefit the other fractionals as well. Surprisingly, that concept isn't as well-accepted as it should be. A rising tide lifts all boats.
Netjetwife

Reality Check For NetJets Pilots

My purpose in posting was largely to point out the differences in the business model and revenue stream of a major airline and that of of a fractional, differences which previous posts ignored when they spoke of the number of seats/passengers, net worth of passengers,etc. Can't apply pay as you fly formula to a fractional for determination of revenues, profits.

Is NetJets profitable? I had heard that none of the big fractionals were actually profitable yet.

The size of the paycheck alone does not make a "professional". Some self-employed professionals with education, degrees, and licenses up the whazoo can have a difficult, unpredictable time financially. Many with institutional employers face unreasonable demands in workload. But I digress. Besides, if someone wanted that, he/she wouldn't have become a professional pilot, right?

In an earlier post, you said that FOs are "forced" to get typed. But NetJets does pay for the type, right? Wouldn't use the word "forced". A company-provided type for FOs is a good thing. I hear the schedule is 8 on, 7 or 8 off. I get the basic point: that the pay scales are low overall (even for mid level to senior captains?) , and that certain job conditions, like some of the hotels mentioned earlier, could stand improvement. I say, Good Luck. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Oh, are there any married female pilots at NetJets? Maybe terminology shoud be NetJets pilots and their "spouses". Over and out.

Best to all.

Wow....a week has gone by since my original post......and no one has made a justified post which shows that the proposed NJA contract is a piece of crap and is not in tune with the rest of the business aviation community!!

I guess for all the NJA pilots and wives who have read the original post realize that deep down, the proposed TA is reasonable. For the rest of you, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you think you are underpaid, overworked........think again! NetJet pilots fly less, spend more time at home, have better benefits than the majority of pilots that work for companies who fly the same clientele as you do.

Don't believe me?? I recently offered a full time job to a NJA 5 yr Captain (flying same equipment) with a substantial increase in pay over his current salary. He turned it down.......said that we didn't offer him the quality of life that NetJets does (ie days off, vacation and retirement).

Latest resources

Back