Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ramped by 2 airport cops and 2 sheriffs. . .Accused me of a Felony!!!! No Kidding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lrjtcaptain said:
In my H.Opinion, I don't think the sheriffs have the authority to do a routine ramp search, that is my FAA boys juristiction. Yes, there are state aviation laws but under what principal did they have to detain you temporarily? Why would the FAA call these guys to mess with you? I don't think they did. I think these cops were bored, got a tip from someone and decided to act like hard a..... I would call FSDO and tell them what happend, sounds like you were in compliance with all FAA regs and query them as to why they didn't do the search and local law enforcment did. then file a complaint with the local pd about harrasment and threats that were not warranted. Give me a break, I wish I could have been there.

MK

Unfortunately, Barney Fife ( and the TSA) does have the authority to ramp you and check your license, medical, and ID, this is specified in the FAR 61. Hopefully he would stick to checking your basic documents and not attempt to determine currency or Mx issues. Hopefully. State law could govern that also.

The original situation does sound pretty bogus though...SOMEBODY dropped a dime.

Any chance you filed a flight plan? My buddy filed an IFR flight plan from the Northwest into San Diego. When he opened the door in SAN, there were 3-4 INS agents there to greet him. He was born in an Arab state (US citizen for at least 15 years) and had recently returned from said Arab state on vacation. Any way, it was his name on the flight plan that got him flagged.

Were you sure these were real cops? Why didn't you ask to speak with a Sergeant/White shirt?

I mean come on, if I was at my home airport, and the local county sheriffs showed, I'd at least have a buddy or two to call before I let these FAA Inspector wannabes keel haul me.

This is kind of like CPD trying to pull people over on the Ryan. It's weird.

In todays world you MUST cooperate with law enforcement with a smile :) , remember even the MORONS at TSA can revoke your certificate. :eek:

Metro752 said:
Were you sure these were real cops? Why didn't you ask to speak with a Sergeant/White shirt?

I mean come on, if I was at my home airport, and the local county sheriffs showed, I'd at least have a buddy or two to call before I let these FAA Inspector wannabes keel haul me.

This is kind of like CPD trying to pull people over on the Ryan. It's weird.

yes, they were cops. . . . I did look at the ID of the sheriffs in plain clothes. I believe in cooperating fully with the cops. If I would have gotten cocky like you suggest, they would have hauled me in and asked questions later.

No idea what "the Ryan" is. . .

Last edited:
How about this....

If a local LEO asked for my certificate I would hold it up for him to see and inspect, but I would not hand it over.... fair?

Guitar rocker said:
Why in the world would the FAA let local or airport cops have jurisdiction in this case?
Judges have jurisdiction, cops have "authorized" arrest powers granted by state legislature.

A city, county, village, township police officer has the authority to arrest anywhere within the state that granted such powers, if he/she witnesses a misdemeanor or has reasonable suspicion someone committed a felony.

Last edited:
I talked to AOPA legal services who basically said not to worry about it. I also talked to my FAA POI who said that that number was probably flagged, either by the DEA or the FAA. He said he would try to find the paperwork as it goes through the FSDO and let me know what it says.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
How about this....

If a local LEO asked for my certificate I would hold it up for him to see and inspect, but I would not hand it over.... fair?

Then he'd tase you, you'd be arrested for impeding an officer/interfering with justice/disrupting investigative karma (or whatever catch all law they have on the books) and you'd be seeing the judge on Monday morning. In addition, don't eat the jailhouse chili and remember, you don't have to say boo...just name, rank and serial number.

FN FAL said:
Judges have jurisdiction, cops have "authorized" arrest powers granted by state legislature.

A city, county, village, township, officer has the authority to arrest anywhere within the state that granted such powers, if he witnesses a misdemeanor or has reasonable suspicion someone committed a felony.

A little nitpicky don't you think?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back