Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ramped by 2 airport cops and 2 sheriffs. . .Accused me of a Felony!!!! No Kidding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

iflyabeech

el Piloto
I just started flying a Grumman AA-1B that a non-pilot friend of mine owns. I started taking care of this plane the first of this month. I had to update the registration and get it annualed and elt and transponder checked.
Today I flew it to another Class C airport about 70 miles from here. When I returned to home base, (Class D airport w/tower) the airport police showed up and blocked me off. Two airport cops jumped out and two plainclothes sheriffs officers jumped out and assumed offensive postures. I said whats up guys, and the airport cop said, " Just a routine ramp inspection, I need your pilot cert., medical, and the aircraft registration and airworthiness. I complied and he took them to his vehicle while the others stared at me. I continued putting the Grumman to bed and finally I told the plainclothed sheriff that routine ramp inspections usually involved an FAA inspector, not 4 cops. He said, that actually they had gotten an email from the FAA that I was operating an aircraft with an invalid registration and that it was a 3rd degree felony. Flabbergasted, I told him that I had submitted the registration papers on the April, 6, 2006, (18 days ago) and that the pink copy that I had showed them was good for 90 days! They tallked to someone on the phone and made copies of all my paperwork and let me go. They said they would have arrested me for a class 3 felony. Class 3 felony!!!?!?!?!?! What?

Anyone else have any input?

iflyabeech said:
cops...said...they had gotten an email from the FAA that I was operating an aircraft with an invalid registration

And how would the FAA know this??

Big brother is watching...everthing...

Democracy...gotta love it...let me know when you find it.

ultrarunner said:
And how would the FAA know this??

Big brother is watching...everthing...

Democracy...gotta love it...let me know when you find it.

I guess that the tail number went into the computer at the class c airport that I had departed from.

iflyabeech said:
I guess that the tail number went into the computer at the class c airport that I had departed from.

How would ATC know to let the airport cops know that you had an invalid registration by entering your tail no., aircraft type, etc. into the computer?

-mini

I have never heard the FAA turn over any jurisdiction to the local cops, especially over something so silly as a registration! Maybe if you were seen hauling coke or a bale of weed, theft of an aircraft, but a registration? I wonder if someone at the Class C airport didn't call "airport watch" saying you looked suspicious???

I honestly think you've been...whats the saying??...punked!

Look at it this way. You're flying along and bust Class B airspace. A few days later you get a certified letter in the mail.

You're flying along and bust your altitude. A few days later you might get a certified letter in the mail.

Maybe some legal expert on this board with aviation law background will have a better explanation, but a felony for a registration error! Something is fishy!

Last edited:
minitour said:
How would ATC know to let the airport cops know that you had an invalid registration by entering your tail no., aircraft type, etc. into the computer?

-mini

? I dunno. . .Maybe it went into a computer somewhere and it red flagged me.

2000flyer said:
I have never heard the FAA turn over any jurisdiction to the local cops, especially over something so silly as a registration! Maybe if you were seen hauling coke or a bale of weed, theft of an aircraft, but a registration? I wonder if someone at the Class C airport didn't call "airport watch" saying you looked suspicious???

I honestly think you've been...whats the saying??...punked!

Look at it this way. You're flying along and bust Class B airspace. A few days later you get a certified letter in the mail.

You're flying along and bust your altitude. A few days later you might get a certified letter in the mail.

Maybe some legal expert on this board with aviation law background will have a better explanation, but a felony for a registration error! Something is fishy!

I agree. I am going to call my POI at the local FSDO tomorrow and ask him what the deal is.

They meant business when they stopped me. It was not cool.

In my H.Opinion, I don't think the sheriffs have the authority to do a routine ramp search, that is my FAA boys juristiction. Yes, there are state aviation laws but under what principal did they have to detain you temporarily? Why would the FAA call these guys to mess with you? I don't think they did. I think these cops were bored, got a tip from someone and decided to act like hard a..... I would call FSDO and tell them what happend, sounds like you were in compliance with all FAA regs and query them as to why they didn't do the search and local law enforcment did. then file a complaint with the local pd about harrasment and threats that were not warranted. Give me a break, I wish I could have been there.

MK

We occasionally get law enforcement alerts on stolen aircraft; there are other mechanisms for flagging suspicious aircraft that I will not discuss here.

If we suspect, or someone reports to us a potential crime involving an aircraft, we won't e-mail the police (how the heck do you e-mail the police, anyway?), we'll make a phone call to the appropriate authority. Most situations involving illegal operations (not FAR busts but crime like stolen aircraft or flying drunk) are covered under state law.

For example, the famous drunken Northwest crew from 15 years ago or so were arrested under state law. In Minnesota, by operating an aircraft, you have given consent to any law officer to test your breath, urine or blood for alcohol under this statute. Actually flying drunk is a gross misdemeanor under this statute.

Once in my career I was involved in a report of a pilot drinking and flying. We called the state police who met the pilot on his arrival at an airport in Michigan. I've got no idea what happened after that; we're not cops, we're controllers.

Latest resources

Back