• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rah To Fly For Midwest Express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is like Goat Jet part deux. Just union busting at its worst.

Republic is replacing Midwest 717's with 170's. Midwest pays its pilots more than double what Republic pays its pilots. These are just things to think about. I do no blame the Republic pilots, but the way this industry is going, there will be no good jobs to go to. There will be 5-10 year first officers at Republic just like Eagle and Comair. These f/o's better learn how to live indefinitely on $37/hour. This is a whipsaw. There are no two ways about it. It seems like good news that Republic will avoid some furloughs, but these pilots will pay dearly for it long term.

I can live off of, 20k a year as it is now. J/K! Seriously, I could do it, but do I want to? Do I think it's right? NO! The post before mine is absolutely correct. F/O's need to quit looking at how much they'll make at upgrade because this slow down is going to create some long waiting times to make CA. We need to get at least 40-50k for F/O's and I'd say 80-120k for CA's minimum.

Despite all this, "We don't like this at all.." you know come October RAH pilots will be replacing the midwest planes.
The pilots will be replacing the planes?.....what is happening to this industry, won't they get frostbitten?

Republic is replacing Midwest 717's with 170's. Midwest pays its pilots more than double what Republic pays its pilots. These are just things to think about. I do no blame the Republic pilots, but the way this industry is going, there will be no good jobs to go to. There will be 5-10 year first officers at Republic just like Eagle and Comair. These f/o's better learn how to live indefinitely on $37/hour. This is a whipsaw. There are no two ways about it. It seems like good news that Republic will avoid some furloughs, but these pilots will pay dearly for it long term.
Some other airline will do something worse and you will forget about this........welcome to the U.S. attention span

I can live off of, 20k a year as it is now. J/K! Seriously, I could do it, but do I want to? Do I think it's right? NO! The post before mine is absolutely correct. F/O's need to quit looking at how much they'll make at upgrade because this slow down is going to create some long waiting times to make CA. We need to get at least 40-50k for F/O's and I'd say 80-120k for CA's minimum.

I've been thinking that it would be wise to have a good supplemental income source. Something that could be turned into a primary career if the airline career continues to decline.

Anyone have good solid suggestions along this line? I am thinking about real-estate agent, Edward Jones financial services, insurance industry, etc. Anyone had any success in any of these areas or others?

Flyerdan said:
Anyone have good solid suggestions along this line? I am thinking about real-estate agent, Edward Jones financial services, insurance industry, etc. Anyone had any success in any of these areas or others?

The first two options (real estate and financial services) aren't doing real hot right now.

Insurance, on the other hand, is pretty much "recession-proof"...you gotta have it by law. The downside is there are more underwriters and more agents competing for business, driving down premiums AND commissions.

A trade, such as electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, auto repair, etc. would probably be a better bet long-term...but you'd have to be willing to get a little dirty.

I have a question for you RAH guys.

Management at SkyW has said that if there is a Midwest strike; we will honor them and not fly as well. Will you do the same?

Also I read on the forum today that we will be losing a few of our routes to you for Midwest. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm really glad that B*dford whor*d himself out to get this flying. I just hope that you people have the backbone to do the right thing.

there's a clause in our contract that prevents us from flying any struck work. how about your contract? ooops! my bad....

I'm really glad that B*dford whor*d himself out to get this flying. I just hope that you people have the backbone to do the right thing.

Do you seriously think that bedford whorrrred HIMSELF out? The man is just playing a game. All the other airlines are just players at the poker table. He plays to win, and he wants to win the table he is at. Bedford has his sights on the big boy table. If he takes out some of the weaker players now, he just may get invited to play in the back room, where the brandy comes in real crystal snifters, and the cigars are Cuban. Us pilots, and the airplanes we fly, are just chips in his stack. He has no problem throwing a few away here and there, but make no mistake, his stack is growing as other stacks are shrinking. With this Mdwest deal, he has basically put Midwest "all in". He's thrown 12 airplanes into the pot, as well as countless token pilots, to force Midwest's hand.

It's not whorring if you are having fun... and bedford is having a blast.

Latest resources

Back