• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Racial Profiling: Good or Bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I suppose we see where not profiling got us. So, yeah.... good.

If we don't face the facts, there will be another 9/11. Not by Norwegian grandmothers, but by Muslim extremists. Not just the 18-40 year old males either.
I saw a chilling preview on CNN this morning showing an interview with a 3 YEAR OLD Muslim girl who has already been taught hatred and already referred to Jews as Pigs and Apes. Imams all over the world, including our own country, are teaching this in Mosques and schools.
The beauty of it is is NOT racial profiling because Islam is NOT a race. However, the Muslim world has made no bones about what their intentions are. They want to blow the entire world back to the 12th century and will do anything to achieve that goal.
If the majority of the Muslim world doesn't share the views of the extremists, then why do they do nothing to stop them? I don't buy it for a second.
If we don't get our heads out of the sand we are going to PC ourselves right into non existence.

While not necessarily a big fan of profiling, we are facing a danger the likes of which we haven't seen before, and I find it harder and harder to argue against it.

Last edited:
Profiling, in any case, is usually good police work. Look for something or someone that fits a pattern. If the pattern is young, male, Arab, then focus your energy in that regard.

White guy in a business suit walking in a drug infested neighborhood? Doesn't belong...if a cop sees him and busts him with drugs, can he cry 'racial profiling?' Is that economic profilling? Look, if the cops in my city are NOT profiling in some way to prevent crime, then I want my tax dollars back. Don't surveil old white ladies when you're looking for rapist, and don't profile young black women when you're looking for a serial killer. It "could" happen, but it ain't likely and is a waste of resources.

As a minority, when I hear racial/ethnic profiling, the hairs on the back of my neck normally stand up. Why?? Mostly because I can guarantee you that will never intentionally commit a crime, but it can't be guaranteed that I will never be charged with one. Me, I have nothing to hide when I'm a passenger (or operating unless I'm coming back from Asia and customs is enroute) so I really could care less except for the above statement.

What pisses me off though, is that with all the technological genius we have in this country, it is still possible to get things that can explode, detonate, kill or maim on board an airplane. I would not care if Osama himself were onboard a flight if through digital sub-atomic spectral imagery or something that sounds cool but works, it was confirmed that neither he, his carryon, or checked luggage were in any way a threat. Of course I would personally would kick the S*#T out of him before pushback, oh that would be the crime I said I would not commit.

Bottom line--ethnic profiling is like putting a bandaid on a broken leg. Eventually someone outside the profiled group(s) will attempt a similar act and will have a higher percentage chance of succeeding since we would not be focusing on them. If we have not fixed the true problem which is accurate, effective and error free passenger screening, the threat will still exits.

...but I think the real threat may come from WHITE turn coats. The Muslims know that we are watching them, and will find another avenue...I often thought of a solution for this, but the fact remains, that the only way to secure this problem is to check everyone.

Mark
you hit the nail on the head.

the reason some terrorist attacks have been successful is that they thought outside of the box. I can guarantee that if racial profiling started tomorrow, the first thing the terrorists would do is recruit some whities disgruntled with the system to carry out their attacks.

and for what it's worth, even if there had been racial profiling on september 11, I doubt that anything would have been prevented. these guys didn't take anything illegal through the checkpoints. granted, with 20-20 hindsight, what they were doing was unusual, but at the time, nobody could have conceived of what they were about to do. they were successful (and I mean that in the most horrible way) because they were innovative.

yes, it's an inconvenience to have little old ladies get checked, but it's a neccessary evil. the second we start focusing on a certain group, terrorists will find an untargeted group to get through. better just to have everyone get checked.

besides, it's un-american

GOOD! Don't ever forget what happened on 9/11. The world has changed, and so has the right to profile. We have every right to do so since what happened that day. The US ought to still be pi$$ed off, and take political correction out of all things spoken.

Unless the US grows a pair and faces reality, all those CNN spots you see on suicide bombs in public squares, markets and busses in Israel, get ready to start seeing them right here in the US.

Bleeding hearts= bloody corpses.

Latest resources

Back