• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA - Possible Safety Alert?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta and Continental both have a procedure of leaving the APU powered while the A/C is unattended. They have been doing that for decades.

Did you or anyone else gain anything from your posting this info in public? I hear a resounding...

NO!

Stick Boy is obviously a rookie without a cause......

Stick: do you think we should shut down the APU for refueling? Do you have any idea what the minimum turn times would be for that sort of operation? Power carts everywhere.......

Good grief, why am I wasting time explaining this. The guy obviously is a rookie with too much time on his hands.

Don't worry, someday you'll understand what a moron you used to be.

BeCareful! said:
Stick Boy is obviously a rookie without a cause......

Stick: do you think we should shut down the APU for refueling? Do you have any idea what the minimum turn times would be for that sort of operation? Power carts everywhere.......

Good grief, why am I wasting time explaining this. The guy obviously is a rookie with too much time on his hands.

Don't worry, someday you'll understand what a moron you used to be.
Becareful,

8967.3?

I'm impressed.

.3, and I'm a moron?

LOL

I believe that an a/c that will be left unattended for more than a reasonable amount of time (45 - 60 mins) should be shut down. APU and all. I believe that an unattended a/c, being refueled on a ramp (by very unskilled persons) in VERY close proximity to other a/c (not to mention people) should be shut down or attended to by skilled personnel. My other concern would be the fact that the airport where an aircraft is left unattended and powered-up should also be used in making a decision to leave an a/c up and running. A security sensitive airport, an airport that is under careful scrutiny of the local press, or a location or airfield that is easily accessible to evil-doers or many highly unskilled laborers in this day and age would also have great bearing on where I follow blurbs placed in the GOM meant to save a few dollars.

I also believe that if a GOM says that the procedure of leaving an aircraft, completely unattended and powered-up via an APU, is allowable, then every pilot who is mandated to follow said GOM, has the right to follow the GOM to the "letter of the law". However, I personally would use my own judgment and shut it down and let the next crew start up the a/c. Fukc the company and the price it pays for a cycle vs. fuel. My query only deals with an a/c that is unattended. I obviously believe that an a/c that is being refueled (i.e. on a quick turn or a turn of less than 45 mins.) should be powered in one way shape or form (as long as it isn't left unattended). System redundancy be **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed, incidents happen and systems fail as we all have unfortunately witnessed recently. Canadian and Brazilian made valves fail. Period. Computer and computer driven systems fail. If you fly glass, then this is no shock to you "becareful".

Also, becareful, allow me to address the rookie comment as well as some earlier comments. I've seen the big picture. Many times.
14 years of flying experience as well as 7 years in a public safety career (fire science classes with firefighting experience and ARFF classes as well). You're right, I must be a rookie in many areas.

Treetop - please pm me with some info so we can get together and I can fulfill your fantasies. When I'm done - you'll never forget me. Probably cause you'll never be able to function in any manner, again. If you don't get in touch with me, I'll understand that you are just a big talker which in my book, means pu55y. You think I'm a tool so let's catch up and hang out some time soon. I'm off til Sunday and next weekend too. If you fly on the weekends (which I assume you will say) I'll meet you at an overnight and you can buy me a few before you'll have to call out the next am. By the way - this is not a threat, I'm just gonna take you up on your offer, you fukcing tool.

Wow!

Fight! Fight!

Stick D!ck,

You lost this one buddy. Give it up and get on with your next thought. You stated your opinion and we all told you what we thought of it. Move on.

Sticky -

Yeah, I logged the .3 last week, so I thought I'd post it.

Actually, I soloed in 1978. My flight time far exceeds what I've listed. The .3 was supposed to be funny.

Since you're the fireman, I'll concede the rest of the argument. I'm making an immediate recommendation that PSA purchase 50 brand new GPUs and we'll just start shutting them down.

Good work, Stick Boy!

Stick Man said:
Fukc the company and the price it pays for a cycle vs. fuel.
Thats all fine and dandy until YOU are the one stuck running around with a MEL'd APU becuase your company has been beating them up by starting and stopping them for 10 minutes at a time.

Name ONE incident where leaving an APU running unattended on a Bombardier product has resulted in damage to an aircraft or property.

OH yeah.... If I catch an unsupervised/non-company pilot on board my aircraft, you are going to have to explain yourself to security and then your own Chief Pilot. TOOL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back