• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible Violations @ CVG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What some people say on here really scares me knowing that they are up there!!

What some people say on here really scares me knowing that they are up there!!

A few weeks ago there was a discussion where some seemingly experienced pilots claimed that it wasn't legal to go below DH off an ILS missed.

Soemtimes I scratch my head about the ignorance some professional pilots display of the rules. :confused:

Boy, no wonder so many people are leaving flight info. Way to help better the general pilot group out there, fellas. Ya know, learning is facilitated through respect, allowing questions, and giving room for improvement. By jumping on people who might not be clear on issues, you are actually facilitating ignorance, rather than clarity. Good attitude, guys!

Just the fact that the controllers are going nuts over a problem being repeated shows that there are plenty of airline pilots unclear on the rules. If there are plenty of pilots unclear on the concept, maybe it's time to look at why they are unclear, rather than personally attacking someone who is unclear. That just doesn't help. The fact that there are apparently many airline pilots making this type of mistake pretty much proves that, in fact, this is not a basic "instrument 101" concept. Learning doesn't stop just 'cause you're an airline pilot. Just because someone passed a 121 ride doesn't mean you already know all there is to be known about flying. Personal attacks aren't going to solve this.

The moral of this thread is: If you aren't sure about something, don't you ever dare to ask about it on flight info.com.

I totally agree...ultimately the pilot needs to get it done correctly, descending in prof/ vs/ whatever and naviagating in some form of nav, loc track, heading , or track....great
however, without having flown there , I believe we referred to ry 18c....a center ils seems to imply they want or require precision, whether or not it is a PRM or not so why not make it easy for us and let us fly it like the other 9000 airports around the world...if I am cleared for an ILS why should I be flying in vertical speed and heading....all I am saying is the FAA could reduce the chance for errors rather than blaming all us dumb pilots.
also if I was planning 18r and at the last possible minute they change me to 18c, I would scramble to get the freq and arm approach land , and very likely miss the fact that the glideslope did not coincide with the stepdowns....

It is one thing to get caught busting something when you know better...it is a completely different matter to not even KNOW that you are supposed to meet the step downs. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but if you are an airline pilot and you are SURPRISED that you need to meet the stepdowns then you deserve whatever ribbing people give you. There is a difference between accidentally landing without a clearence - and not even knowing that you were supposed to get a landing clearence.

I do see how these "accidental busts" can happen, I don't see why Jepp can't just put a heads-up note on the approaches that state something like "warning-GS outside FAF does not assure compliance with step-downs" or something to that effect for those of us in our 15th or 16th hour of duty.

Later

I can't believe this has gone on for four pages. Someone gave the correct answer within the first few posts. Obviously, KCVG uses this procedure for operational reasons and it seems that the step downs were designed that way on purpose. It looks like a lot of CFIIs haven't been doing a very good job. Scary.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion where some seemingly experienced pilots claimed that it wasn't legal to go below DH off an ILS missed.

Soemtimes I scratch my head about the ignorance some professional pilots display of the rules. :confused:

Nothing new here. It seems many who should know better routinely confuse MDA with DH. When I got my ATP (long long ago in a galaxy far far away) the FAA inspector chastised me for going below DH on an ILS miss. This was in the aircraft, with the inspector calling no runway at DH. I argued, sucessfully (I passed), that DH means decision height, or the point where the decision is made to execute the missed approach, and that the airplane is not static at that point but will continue to move in the established direction. You cannot make the decision at DH and not go below decision height.

Boy, no wonder so many people are leaving flight info. Way to help better the general pilot group out there, fellas. Ya know, learning is facilitated through respect, allowing questions, and giving room for improvement. By jumping on people who might not be clear on issues, you are actually facilitating ignorance, rather than clarity. Good attitude, guys!

Just the fact that the controllers are going nuts over a problem being repeated shows that there are plenty of airline pilots unclear on the rules. If there are plenty of pilots unclear on the concept, maybe it's time to look at why they are unclear, rather than personally attacking someone who is unclear. That just doesn't help. The fact that there are apparently many airline pilots making this type of mistake pretty much proves that, in fact, this is not a basic "instrument 101" concept. Learning doesn't stop just 'cause you're an airline pilot. Just because someone passed a 121 ride doesn't mean you already know all there is to be known about flying. Personal attacks aren't going to solve this.

The moral of this thread is: If you aren't sure about something, don't you ever dare to ask about it on flight info.com.
Absolutely excellent post. We all have things to learn and we need to extend respect to others when helping to educate them. I, myself, am guilty of being wrong about technical subjects here and there.

I can't believe this has gone on for four pages. Someone gave the correct answer within the first few posts. Obviously, KCVG uses this procedure for operational reasons and it seems that the step downs were designed that way on purpose. It looks like a lot of CFIIs haven't been doing a very good job. Scary.
The last time I flew with a CFII was twenty years, four type rides, and two airlines ago. People forget.

We probably all remembered the requirement to follow the step down fixes, but unless you fly outside the United States, there are few precision approaches where the use of the glideslope does not provide adequate guidance and plenty of room. (that probably explains why Delta is getting this right and other airlines might be overlooking it)

Worse, at CVG the Jeppesen Chart depiction (although we know it is not to scale) clearly shows the glideslope well over the stepdown fixes, which is not normal convention. This is an easy thing to miss unless you perform the math, or put the step down fixes in the FMS.

Unfortunately the avionics in the average 120 knot avgas powered bug-smasher provides much better SA than the average jet in 121 service. In fact, the RNAV procedures have resulted in the removal of most of the step down fixes on precision approaches since something had to be deleted to make room. Even the RJ's have 1980's tech in the FMS.

Well I dunno, as I recall the AIM was pretty clear- GS signal is not valid outside of 10 nm. If you're outside of 10 miles, you fly the profile-Inside 10 miles, the glideslope is valid. As some else posted, the CIVET arr/profile descent into LAX25L had this same problem with guys getting violated, and that was about 10 years ago. A heavy DC-8 always seemed to be on the high side of each crossing restriction at idle power clean and 250K so Mr Douglas had figured it out for me. Sounds like some controllers with too much free time on their hands.

Latest resources

Back