• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible Violations @ CVG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I dunno, as I recall the AIM was pretty clear- GS signal is not valid outside of 10 nm. If you're outside of 10 miles, you fly the profile-Inside 10 miles, the glideslope is valid.
This is not always true. AIM 1-1-9 d.
3. The glide path projection angle is normally adjusted to 3 degrees above horizontal so that it intersects the MM at about 200 feet and the OM at about 1,400 feet above the runway elevation. The glide slope is normally usable to the distance of 10 NM. However, at some locations, the glide slope has been certified for an extended service volume which exceeds 10 NM.

That being said, does anyone know how to find out whether a GS for a particular approach is 10 nm or 10+ nm? In other words, where is it printed?

Good thread and thanks for the warning about 18C in CVG. Don't think it's fair to jump all over people to ask for clarification on operational issues. Just think if someone had started a thread a year ago about watching out for the Lexington airport reconfiguration.

The idea that any one given pilot is going to have complete and current knowledge of all pertinent regulations is a bit out of bounds. I have a friend who's father-in-law was a senior pilot at a major carrier and was ex military. He did not have much of a clue how class B airspace was dimensioned out and what the operational requirements were as my friend explained it to him.

There is a difference between this question and "knowing everything." This is basic instrument flying. We should have learned this right after basic attitudes.

A professional pilot should know this.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KCVG/IAP/ILS+OR+LOC+RWY+18C

Seems pretty straight forward to me- no lower(NL) 7000 to LANAH, NL 6000 to ANTRI, NL 5000 to DULEY, drop to 2400 and intercept GS at that alt, which coincidently happens to be LOGOZ. Many GS intercepts and LOC FAF's do not occur at the same point.

Now if you decide to intercept the GS above 2400', just make sure you dont blow thru your stepdown fixes, easy as that.

Hope the this, along with he visual helps!!

PS- App. chart not to be used for navigation!!!

This has been a pretty entertaining thread. In the higest traditions of Flightinfo. I want to dawn my nomex (flame protection) and provide my two cents. I hope this has not already been said.

Perhaps it would be best to think of the ILS RWY 18C approach chart as a depiction of two instrument approach procedures. One approach pocedure would be the precision approach (the ILS 18C with the glide slope available), the other approach procedure would be the non-precision approach (Localizer only, with no glide slope available).

Comply with the step down fixes to the FAF for the procedure you are flying. That would be either the Lightning Bolt symbol for the precision approach procedure or the Maltese Cross symbol for the non-precision approach procedure.

Last edited:
This is not always true. AIM 1-1-9 d.

That being said, does anyone know how to find out whether a GS for a particular approach is 10 nm or 10+ nm? In other words, where is it printed?

What is true is the glideslope signal is valid for vertical guidance inside 10 NM. So, until some one instructs you as to where it's valid further out, you fly the profile descent until you are within 10 NM, as my posting said. Here's a link to a guy who "decided to fly the glideslope" even though there was notam out that the signal was not valid.

http://www.emergency-management.net/pdf/ntsb/NTSB_Report_KAL_Guam_August_6_1997.pdf

Last edited:
I think the mention of the 10 mile usability of the glide slope confuses the issue in this situation. The rule is that if you are doing the ILS approach and you are outside the FAF (G/S intercept at the depicted altitude) you must comply with the depicted step-downs of the intermediate (or whatever) segment. It may turn out to be true by procedure or some other rule that within 10 miles you are okay, but the way to do an ILS approach is to comply with the step-downs until you are established on the final approach segment period.

In IFR, fly the step-downs. In VFR, get cleared for a visual and let the ARRCH mode capture the glideslope and handle it.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation?

"Office Space"

Latest resources

Back