Pinnacle Buying Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things to think about from the 1/22 AM conference call:

1) This is all new to me, but why are 9E pilots so worried about from 9L pilots? You guys are the ones with the scope contract and obviously have more resources to expand into US CO and UA markets, and have had a Saab program in the past.

Colgan has talked about jets in the past, but realisticly, they couldn't keep up with them. As long as the "Family" is in charge I wouldn't worry. When "the forseable future" is expiring that's when things are going to change. I'd have a plan in place for that inevitability, but rest assured we will have nothing to say about it.

If you are really sincere about how 9L crews are treated over the next couple of years and how it relates to your relationship to PCL my advice would be to talk to us as equals that are inexperienced with the ways of ALPA and what both groups need to do for each other. Just staying off the radar scope isn't enough anymore, welcome to reality.

2) On a conference call relating to our purchase by PCL and what it means to us is not the time to be asking about what bases are opening and which out-station is going to fly the route. Come on, there is a time and place for questions like that, but not on this call. It makes us look petty and small. If I were a Pinnacle pilot I would not be impressed at our performance if all I knew of 9L pilots came from this call.

The time to only be looking at our own little world within Colgan is over and it's time to start looking at the big picture. We cannot soley rely on info from Manassas anymore, they don't the final word anymore.

Personally, I don't like unions but they do have there place in this industry and in these situations.

Things to think about from the 1/22 AM conference call:

1) This is all new to me, but why are 9E pilots so worried about from 9L pilots? You guys are the ones with the scope contract and obviously have more resources to expand into US CO and UA markets, and have had a Saab program in the past.
Because Nonconnah has, in the past, REPEATEDLY proven they will get around the contract every single possible tiny way they can, even if it ruins their good will with the pilot group over pennies.

Just a fact, and the PCL pilots probably are going on past experience and anticipating the worst.

Personally, I don't like unions but they do have there place in this industry and in these situations.
Sad, but true. :(

Good luck!

PCL pilots probably are going on past experience and anticipating the worst.

And Ye shall be rarely disappointed and surprised by the results. "Nonconnah" is Memphis talk for "lieing is a way of life."

It might be a little easier to deal with you guys and talk about union issues if I knew that your MEC was not, at this very moment, revising the scope proposal in the next contract that will probably try to limit the size and mumber of aircraft that Colgan can fly. If you say that they are not doing this, then they should all be fired because they are not doing what you are paying them for - protecting your work group. If they really are not doing this then they should be fired anyway because what good are they?

I hope at least Colgan pilots won't have to wear our headpin, the CFIT satellite dish... At least our FOM says hats are optional..

BTW, do you guys wear your hats in the Saab and 1900? Just don't want to bring down our level of professionalism, ya know?

Yes I am standing on the sidelines as many of my fellow soilders are at Colgan. We don't know what the hell is going on. We are quite sick of Pinnacle pilots infiltrating our posts. We were very happy in our misery before you union talking annoying people came along. It's very simple if they intend to keep us seperate we don't give a crap about pinnacles pilot group and union. If they intend to use us in some way to screw the pinnacle pilots then yeah we will listen about this foreign to us union stuff. Until we see something change in our everyday lives however we don't care.

C'mon, be real. Infiltrating your posts. This is a public forum; an often full of chit public forum. These guys are damn worried, and with good reason. If management were to impose some new scope / work rules / whatever on your groups, Pinnacle pilots stand to be negatively impacted. I won't get into specifics. You guys can take a hit also. What if PCL comes to Colgan and says you guys are going to fly 15 PCL jets at current wages. OR, the negotiate new wages, but they are still less than PCL current wage (which still isn't that good, they will admit that). THEN WHAT? You, a Colgan pilot, have two choices, stay and do the job, or leave on principle and go to another airline. Why, because you don't believe in taking another's flying just b/c you will work for less. Could this happen? ABSOLUTELY. If you wait until it does, it is too late. Will it happen, who knows? We need all pilots to be proactive. Like I said, I'm not calling anyone any names and I'm not pointing fingers. I am just saying that it is better to be steering the ship than being dragged behind. If we an collaborate all US pilots into one voice, one union; then we have an opportunity to truly change the negative trend that our profession has seen in past years. Imagine the power of one voice. Imagine the power of a united, focussed group of pilots who say "no, we (insert airline) will not work for less just to win the flying that (insert airline) currently provides to (insert blood sucking legacy carrier name)." No more games, just flying. Your coach is calling you off the bench, get in the game and get educated now, not later. Union dues are a small price to pay to try to consolidate our interests and secure our futures. Best of luck.

Not to mention they're tax-deductable. :)

blood-sucking legacy carrier... heh heh, that's pretty good stuff right thar'. :D

Unfortunately, airline unions in the United States don't work in the way you have described. There will never be a single-voiced pilots union in this country. It all boils down to "meat in the seat" at the cheapest price that is either imposed or negotiated.
The biggest issue is the PCL pilot group's contention that ANY new flying will be performed by Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. and if Colgan Air is awarded any additional UEX, COEX or USEX flying PCL pilots contend that they should be able to bid this flying off a single seniority list. I honestly don't know what is legal and what isn't, but I do know that we should let the dust settle a bit before making any rash decisions or antagonizing another group of pilots. A bit of "cooling off" should be the order of the day, and let's see what the lawyers have to say.
PCL pilots need to understand that a good majority of pilots here at Colgan won't be here in 1-2 years and honestly don't have a whole lot vested in your arguments about scope, contracts, seniority lists, etc... Given the bottom feeding of pilot training schools that PCL recruits from along with Colgan Air I imagine that a good chunk of your pilots will be voting with their feet. Those of us that either choose to remain for the time being will have to evaluate their own situation if things appear to be changing for the worst.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back