Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Occam's Razor said:
"White collar"..."Blue collar"...meh.

Categories. I refuse to be fixed into a cateogry. I'm a pilot. I get paid by the hour to do something I like to do. I don't give a hoot what "collar" they want to call me.

Here Here.

AA717driver said:
This downward spiral has nothing to do with political parties. It is about the "elites" in this country controlling everything. They believe it is their manifest destiny to run the country. The educated middle class is a threat to their position.

I've seen this first hand. My daughter has gone to the top private school in my city since K. We thought we'd fit in with the other parents because I was a pilot for a "major airline". Not exactly. There is a club among those with money. We weren't invited. Never mind that alcoholism and drug abuse is rampant, these are the superior beings on this earth and they are destined to ride herd over the rest of us.

.TC

Man, based on your last couple of posts, you have misplaced so much of your energy and assigned WAY too much importance to things that just don't matter at all and over which you have NO control.

If I were you, I get a grip on reality and start worrying about the things that really are important and understand that BS will always be BS and there is not one damm thing you can do about it.

Big Beer Belly said:
Interesting analogy between pilots and some medical doctors:

They wear a uniform (white coat/tie or scrubs), many ARE paid negotiated wages (docs working for Kaiser, for instance, are in the Permanente Medical Group and supply their labor to Kaiser under a fee agreement, perhaps they don't operate "heavy machinery" but do operate multi-million $ equipment like pilots, and more and more of them are unionizing and threatening to withhold their services in an effort to restore their declining pay/working conditions.

I don't know of anyone who would consider doctors to be blue collar, however. In some medical sub-specialties, their colleagues readily refer to them as technicians due to the limited field/scope of medicine they practice.

The general decline in the medical profession has been underway for about 2 decades. Like today's cargo pilots, some docs in specialties and sub-specialties have fared relatively well (economically speaking) in spite of the decline in the medical field around them.

I find many similarities in the two professions. Both are in decline in terms of prestige and financial remuneration. 30 years ago major airline pilots were respected and looked up to and doctors' conclusions were not questioned. Now, people feel pity for airline pilots losing their pensions and wages, a significant number of airlines are bankrupt (or nearly so), the LCC's (like today's HMO's) are the norm and most patients obtain a second or third "opinion" on any serious diagnosis.

There are many parallels. :(

BBB

There isn't much comparison at all. Knowing somebody to get a job is how pilots work. The job when you get it, really ain't that bad.

Seriously, try becoming a doctor. We do have hoops to jump through as pilots but they are big hoops. Doctors have a lot more education to go through, they must get high marks, and overall it is a much more competitive/objective and performance judged game. What's competitive about knowing somebody to get a job!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: How hard is it to fly a computer anyway???

You can make a career as a pilot with out a college degree, you can not do that as a doctor. Fly because you like to and this is a great career. If you are in it for other things you may be disappointed.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
You can search this board for this discussion.....

Look at it this way.... How does management and Wall Street view airline pilots?

We are blue collar all the way. But we are unique. Unlike most blue collar workers we show up to picketing and strikes in Caddy's and BMWs.

When it comes down to negotiations we function just like all the other blue collar workers. Hammering out hourly rates, work rules etc...

Perhaps when this profession was born it should've been defined as salary?

The trick is to present ourselves as professionally as we can.

So the next time you pass a maid cleaning rooms in your hotel, know that Air Line Pilots have much in common with her than white collar workers.

Respectfully, with Air Mail on the wings, and 75 years of expereince I'd think this would be known......

ALPA was in court to define whether we were a profession or a trade union. The power players in this country think you are blue collar.

A good book is "The Air Line Pilots: A Study In Elite Unionization".

I was written by Hopkins. His work was noticed by ALPA he was asked to write Flying the Line. As you know Flying the Line and The Air Line Pilots are not pro ALPA.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=George%20E.%20Hopkins&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-4660626-7463029

Not many pilots driving Caddy's and BMW's these days. That might have been a little more realistic about 5-10 years ago. I find it ironic that Air Traffic controllers used to argue that they deserve to make as much as Pilots and now they make significantly more than the average pilot (ATC=150k/yr avg.).

Blue as it gets...Except we have the feds standing on our throats with the Railway Labor act. Just as blue as a UAW but with out the rights and control.

I'm so blue I don't know what to do.
-Madame Blueberry (Veggie Tales)

I consider myself high speed equipment/heavy equipment operator.

Latest resources

Back