Pilots, White Collar or Blue Collar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turbine Pilot said:
They will get all the money and we will do all the work since so many pilots LOVE to fly so much that they don't care about a nice wage anymore.

BARF!
I was in Cheyenne, WY a couple of months ago (doing military crap) and was staying at the Plains hotel. That's the same hotel that Great Lakes aircrews stay at; mostly in training, but also for layovers.
I was in the Snake River saloon across the street and got to talking to some of the Great Lakes crews and I asked one of their senior pilots (also an instructor) how much he made a year. $55K. Now, knowing that pilots have a propensity to overstate everything (I'm 10 inches erect. Honestly.), I figure that the SOB is probably making $45-50K/yr. When I told him that the profession was fast dying and to go do something that paid decent wages, the SOB looked at me and said, 'I don't do it for the money; I do it for the love of flying.' I just walked away shaking my cranium case. That's the future, ladies and gents. The next generation of pilots that is moving up the ranks will be doing it for the love of flying; they don't mind living in their parents' basement.
We're blue collar all the way; in another 10 years, this won't even be debated.

ferlo said:
Blue as it gets...Except we have the feds standing on our throats with the Railway Labor act. Just as blue as a UAW but with out the rights and control.

Just wait, the UAW is the next union on the hit list. I'd be real surprised if GM still has a pension in 2 years.

And what is the UAW track history? 800K members in 1979, 350K in 2006. Non union plants paying equal wages, doing more work with less people. It is called productivity, the UAW has been about protecting jobs at the expense of productivity. However there are encouraging lights on the horizon, a new UAW plant just sound of Willow Run is running with all skilled trades wages, and only 2 job classifications. It is staffed about 40% below the typical UAW contract plant, the workers make more and the plant is amongst the most productive engine plants in the world.

Andy remember fly because you like to, if you are in it for the money you may be disappointed.

You need a federal license in order to operate an aircraft. You need medical clearence and also to pass a background check. You are tested every 6 months on your skills. You are white collar. You are checked more than lawyers, who are only required to have so many hours of recurrent training a year and certainly more than doctors who are not nearly as scrutinized as pilots are. To say you are blue collar is like calling a garbage man a "Sanatation Engineer", even though they make a hell of lot more than a F/O at a regional. Sad, but true. We have done it to ourselves.

jetflier said:
IMHO, untill ALPA places our job classification as a white collar profession, we will continue to reach lower levels of pay and benefits.

I doubt ALPA placing a label on it's members will have much effect on the price of tea on the moon.

Each professional pilot working under a contract IS a blue collar worker. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that either.

YOU ARE A CONTRACT LABORER. So am I. Big deal... unless you think it's a bad thing.

All a matter of perspective.

I tend to think of it as a strength... strength in numbers.

Pilots are some of the wierdest animals out there; being both professionally and pollitically confused.

It's some deep stuff most aren't willing to ponder for a long period. Management knows this.

Don't wait for the Union to lead you. The pilots should be leading the Union.

pilotyip said:
Andy remember fly because you like to, if you are in it for the money you may be disappointed.

You really need to stop repeating that damned mantra. We heard it the first 25,000 times.

pilotyip said:

There's a difference between enjoying your job and being a cheap whore.
I'm tired of seeing pilots justify taking a low paying job because they 'do it for the love of flying,' only to turn around and push for scope to be lifted so that they can fly a 70 seater and top out at $70/hr. Or how about that 80/80/80 chant not too long ago ... fly the MD-80 for 80hr/mo for $80/hr in the left seat?
With what's being paid in smaller airlines, I was perfectly happy to walk away from aviation after being furloughed from United.
If you don't consider your labor to be worth much, you can sure as he11 bet that management doesn't consider you to be worth much either.

While I like flying, I love my current nonflying job. I have much more responsibility than I did in any flying job. There's more to life than just pushing tin across the sky.

Last edited:
Been There Done That

Andy why is making $100K per year acting as a cheap hoe?. It is in the upper 5% of US income. Best of luck outside of your professional flying career. Been there, done that came back to the cockpit. BTW PLC it is because it is true.

Last edited:
I used UAW as a comparison, I know they've got their problems as well. We're as blue collar as the guy installing the motor mounts at GM. That's my point.

Latest resources

Back