Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IADBLRJ41 said:
I have a backpack when I am gone for more than a 4 day trip.. I think it shows the trend of the airline industry when pilots are having to be gone from home more and have less commutable schedules... Maybe the airlines could get better at making more attractive schedules! Then there would be less backpacks

You think as of recently pilots schedules are becoming longer and longer? You think the 4 day trips are a new thing? How long have you been in or around this business?

I never really thought about a backpack until I read this post. Now I'm going out today to get one for my nap line that starts tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea guys! And to whoever said they would stuff me in it if they saw me in THEIR terminal, let me know where you want to meet and we'll see who does the stuffing!

Does anyone have a problem with me only carrying a brown paper bag thru the terminal with my lunch in it or is that too campy or schoolly.

In reference to the male earing; it goes like this, left is right, right is wrong. If your sitting next to a cpt that when you look over you can see his ring, then well - dont drop the soap.

dash8driver said:
sometimes you like to pitch and sometimes you like to catch?

Sorry to excite you dash8, didn't mean to get you all worked up, but I'm only a pitcher and I'll never pitch to you. If you have a picture of your sister, send me a photo and I'll see what charity work I can do.

DX Rick said:
You think as of recently pilots schedules are becoming longer and longer? You think the 4 day trips are a new thing? How long have you been in or around this business?

4 day trips are a fairly new thing(last 25 years or so)........the trips used to be much LONGER!

Doo Doo Brown said:
I never really thought about a backpack until I read this post. Now I'm going out today to get one for my nap line that starts tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea guys! And to whoever said they would stuff me in it if they saw me in THEIR terminal, let me know where you want to meet and we'll see who does the stuffing!

Looking back at the posts, it is interesting to see the ones for and against.

The pilots that see no problem with back packs, not wearing the required uniform, ear and ....um....other rings etc, all have very low total times listed with a very limited number of aircraft flown and limited airline experience. A quick scan showed the total times mostly ranging in the 1000 to 2500 range.

10 years ago 1000 to 2500 would be enough to be flying a light twin freighter, or if very lucky a King air or similar.

Currently in the industry, we have very low time (relative to previous generations) pilots flying very large (again, relative to previous generations) jet aircraft. Yet they are flying those aircraft for probably the worst pay scales ever. Instead of trying to raise the bar, and keep the industry as a top tier professional career, most seem content with being a low grade hourly worker bees that have about as much professional pride as a Burger King employee.

In 1979 your average DC-9-30(RJ by todays standards) Captain made 85 bucks an hour and his F/O made 55 an hour. Your average RJ pilot today does not even match that scale dollar for dollar, nevermind correcting for 26 years of inflation.

Maybe the old boys that kept the standards high (personal and professional) may have been on to something here?

Latest resources

Back