Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KeroseneSnorter said:
Looking back at the posts, it is interesting to see the ones for and against.

The pilots that see no problem with back packs, not wearing the required uniform, ear and ....um....other rings etc, all have very low total times listed with a very limited number of aircraft flown and limited airline experience. A quick scan showed the total times mostly ranging in the 1000 to 2500 range.

10 years ago 1000 to 2500 would be enough to be flying a light twin freighter, or if very lucky a King air or similar.

Currently in the industry, we have very low time (relative to previous generations) pilots flying very large (again, relative to previous generations) jet aircraft. Yet they are flying those aircraft for probably the worst pay scales ever. Instead of trying to raise the bar, and keep the industry as a top tier professional career, most seem content with being a low grade hourly worker bees that have about as much professional pride as a Burger King employee.

In 1979 your average DC-9-30(RJ by todays standards) Captain made 85 bucks an hour and his F/O made 55 an hour. Your average RJ pilot today does not even match that scale dollar for dollar, nevermind correcting for 26 years of inflation.

Maybe the old boys that kept the standards high (personal and professional) may have been on to something here?

AMEN!

~DC

Thank goodness someone finally said it!

The "Jets R' Neat" kids are the problem. There IS value to keeping minimum requirements for regionals a little bit higher.

"Oh, you only have 200 hours in a Seminole? That's ok! Thank you for the check! Welcome aboard! Here's your high-performance, transport category jet!"

We tend to appreciate that which we WORK to achieve.

BenderGonzales said:
Thank goodness someone finally said it!

The "Jets R' Neat" kids are the problem. There IS value to keeping minimum requirements for regionals a little bit higher.

"Oh, you only have 200 hours in a Seminole? That's ok! Thank you for the check! Welcome aboard! Here's your high-performance, transport category jet!"

We tend to appreciate that which we WORK to achieve.
You can't totally blame the kids for the decline in the industry. How many people have you ever seen walk out of a filthy fast food restaraunt when the person behind the counter leans the broom or mop handle against the wall and takes their order without washing their hands? Not too many.

For some reason, it appears that the public is willing to accept sloppyness. So if the customers don't care...why should the workers?

And I thought this thread was just about to fizzle out. :D

Best I ever saw with the whole back pack thing was witnessed in the crew room between a chief pilot and young FO with a jansport over 1 shoulder..

Chief Pilot: So what is so important that you have to carry your backpack with you all the time..it doesn't look very professional you know.

Young FO: Oh, I don't know, a .40 Cal handgun and a spare magazine along with my IPOD.

Chief Pilot: (looking embarassed) Oh, I'm sorry I asked.

Needless to say the rest of the crew room was bursting with laughter.

The 40 cal can go in a smaller bag, something that can be carried by hand. As for the backpacks...it makes you look stupid as the guy with brown combat boots in his blue uniform.

Just some observations really.

What about the guys with the flightcases that have more speed tape on them than 1950s cessna?

What about the guys whose belly is soooo big, even extra long ties cant go around/over it?

Just some random thoughts...

DC8 Flyer said:
Just some observations really.

What about the guys with the flightcases that have more speed tape on them than 1950s cessna?

What about the guys whose belly is soooo big, even extra long ties cant go around/over it?

Just some random thoughts...
I used to fly with a guy who's belly was so big, he'd have to grab that sucker with both hands and move it over to his other knee during a flight, just to give the other knee a break. I'm not kidding...I just about pooped my britches the first time I saw it.

KeroseneSnorter said:

The pilots that see no problem with back packs, not wearing the required uniform, ear and ....um....other rings etc, all have very low total times listed with a very limited number of aircraft flown and limited airline experience. A quick scan showed the total times mostly ranging in the 1000 to 2500 range.

10 years ago 1000 to 2500 would be enough to be flying a light twin freighter, or if very lucky a King air or similar.

Currently in the industry, we have very low time (relative to previous generations) pilots flying very large (again, relative to previous generations) jet aircraft. Yet they are flying those aircraft for probably the worst pay scales ever. Instead of trying to raise the bar, and keep the industry as a top tier professional career, most seem content with being a low grade hourly worker bees that have about as much professional pride as a Burger King employee.

In 1979 your average DC-9-30(RJ by todays standards) Captain made 85 bucks an hour and his F/O made 55 an hour. Your average RJ pilot today does not even match that scale dollar for dollar, nevermind correcting for 26 years of inflation.

Maybe the old boys that kept the standards high (personal and professional) may have been on to something here?

very well said!!

KeroseneSnorter said:

Wow, I bet if we abolish backpacks then all those greedy CEO's would see the light and give us all payraises, right????? Really???

Give me a f-ing break.

A backpack makes no bearing whatsoever on how professional you are. How you do your job does. You can dress up in a dam tuxedo with solid gold cufflinks and a $10,000 Rolex, and if you're a jacka$$, then you're still a jacka$$. Some of the highest time, most senior people I've met, from your 'golden era', are some of the worst pilots and most unprofessional jacka$$es I've ever met. Likewise, I've seen younger, low time guys wearing backpacks that can fly circles around the old farts.

I've seen the word 'professional' thrown around so much by people that have no idea what it means. Wearing a nice spiffy uniform with a hat doesn't make you a professional. Wearing a backpack doesn't make you unprofessional. How you do your job, your skill level, your knowledge, and your ability make you professional. A dam backpack or hat has nothing to do with it.

Get a life.

Latest resources

Back