Pilots in the job market--

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DO-82 driver said:
NJW.....time and time again SU has proven that this pilot force is comprised of experts in the fields the Company so desperately needs assistance in. The problem lies in the poor Upper-level Management that will not utilitze these experts in solving the many problems that exist in the Puzzle Palace.

Now that the negotiations are over, I pray they will see the light at the end of the tunnel and work in earnest with SU to make this place run more efficiently.

I really see the problem as being the death grip the "old hands" in scheduling have over their little kingdom. There are several key people up there who will fight ANY interferrence in the way they have done things over soooo many years.

We are not a Mom and Pop company anymore but they still insist on doing things as they have done in the past. When these people are convinced that there is a better way or when they are forced to go elsewhere then I will know this Company is serious about saving money.

I truely believe they are untouchables......not taking their orders from BB but rather RTS. And as long as they feed him the numbers he wants to see, there is no chance of changing their perverted practices.

The best Unions are merely reactionary to the stimulus provided to them by management.

My comments are regarding unions in general in light of how this thread started. The fact is historically unions are not quick to the move to give back anything or to take actions that mitigate what may be major outside events that changed the nature of the marketplace.
You are in the fractional business so let me use that as an example. It changed the nature of corporate aviation. It was a significant event and it was for the good of aircraft manufacturers. See sometimes these events can be positive. Airline deregulation may have hurt wages but it sure increased the number of paid pilots around.
Health care and the other benefits are part of the equation but again, the problems come when a business cannot sustain a growth rate or an outside event takes away the ability to progress. Shrinking companies have problems dealing with obligations from better times.
When 9/11 came, my magazine was almost an instant fatality and that meant the 7 people we employed were out of jobs. Our suppliers and vendors were out money and a future job. An outside event killed it. While we could take less pay, the fact is that things like health care cost and benefits stayed the same.
From some views, NJA was actually benefited by the same event. The resultant security and unpleasant nature of commercial aviation combined with the fractional ownership alternative was attractive. Let's face it, no one comes to NJA because they have some great pilots. Is a good pilot corp something needed, yes. On the other hand, it was the marketing genius of the brothers that made this work, not pilots. It is that concept and genius which fills the coffers you feel you are so entitled to.

Pubs stop dealing in reality this is a pilot board.

Pubs....I'm glad you think so highly of the "pilot-ing" profession. You actually sound like a 1500 hr pilot. Pick up 5K or 6K more and them tell me your thoughts.

Yes, it is the genius of RTS that got this whole thing rolling and for that I am very thankful. However, the Fractional fly the richest 2% of the general public, 24 hours a day on their schedule in all weather into and out of small, obscure fields as well as major hubs. We provide a service they very much desire.......and its going to cost them.

If you are trying to make me feel like I shouldn't be making the money I'm making and have the schedule I have.... it didn't work. I paiod my dues as did many, many of my Fractional Brothers and Sisters and I want the max amount of money I can get.

This is a new era...dreams of the airlines are over......show me the money!!!!!

DO-28, I am sure the UAL pilots felt the same way back in 2000, "Show me the money". That was followed by the cry of "Max Pay to the last Day", followed by on the last day a 35% pay cut which was better than unemployment. Rich people have lots of money, and that is good for you, just like it was when all the rich people flew first class on UAL. The first class passengers found a lower priced product and moved their flying to that airline or frac. If NJ gets to be out of line with running your own flight department or contracting with another frac operator, growth may slow down at NJ. I wish you and your brothers and sisters at NJ the best, but reality and history show this is not a sure thing. Only time will tell.

Pilotyip,

I an sure that NJA is not going to fold based on what they are currently paying us, including the benefits. A 5yr Captain making 90K is not going to break the bank.

I'm not sure if the UAL analogy is a fair one to make in that the fractionals are nothing like the airlines. Fuel being directly passed on the the owners is one of the most glaring differences. Non-flexibilty is another. We don't incur the delays that the majors do in that we fly into and out of satellite airports mostly.

Many of the problems the major airline faced were due largely to the short-sightedness of their upper management. Bonuses were assured for most of them while the people in the trenches made peanuts.....and I was one of them making peanuts.

Time will tell..........and no responsible Union leadership will jeapordize the liveliood of their members. I know I'm in good hands with Strong Union and Local 1108. I think some of the other fractional pilots are going to discover that real soon.

Publishers said:
The fact is historically unions are not quick to the move to give back anything or to take actions that mitigate what may be major outside events that changed the nature of the marketplace.

The airline pilots have certainly taken big pay cuts to help their companies--that has been documented in the news. I will maintain that the unions have been at least AS quick as management to "give back" something. We personally witnessed AA asking its pilots to give up part of their compensation package right after 9/11. When management was exposed for scrambling to secure their money,while calling for cuts (in pay and numbers) from the rank and file, they lost credibility with many pilots--my husband included.

When he joined NJA we gave a new set of managers the benefit of the doubt. We were rewarded with broken promises. NJ pilots are very cautiously working to form a new partnership with management, but trust has to be earned. Unions will react quicker when they can believe what the company leaders are telling them and when they see that sacrifice is expected by EVERYONE, not just the rank and file. Leading by example--like they do at SWA--is the best guarantee for the results you're looking for, Publishers. As DO-82 driver has pointed out, there are concrete ways that management can show the NJ pilots that they are serious about making positive changes that will improve the company and lead to greater profits for all to share. In the interest of giving credit where credit is due---NJA DOES make the most of their pilots' skills and experience in marketing the company. Furthermore, it IS the pilotforce that has the most interaction with the owners/pax and are on the front line in providing the excellent service that makes for satisfied clients that renew their contracts. Without THAT, the company would fold, regardless of how great the idea is that led to its conception.

Pilotyip, are you implying that NJ pilots are greedy?! If so, that is completely unfair. The pilots and their families lost a lot of (earned) money while the company drug out negotiations. They didn't pay the pilots real Retro, just a signing bonus that fell far short of what was owed. The pilots accepted a 5 yr contract when they preferred the 3 yr one they had previously. The FOs saw their pay improved, but it still isn't 60% of Captain pay--the industry standard. Had the NJ pilots wages kept pace with inflation all along, it wouldn't have been such a big jump to get where they should have been. Please stop worrying about the company. They made a lot of money while they were underpaying the pilots since 1998. The current contract can best be described as "decent" not good/great. Just because the pilots weren't told THIS time--you could have gotten more--doesn't mean that NJA can't easily afford to PAY PILOTS LIKE THE PROFESSIONALS THEY ARE!

Regards,
Netjetwife

Where did I say greedy? I have worked at union airlines where pilots thought the sky was the limit for pay, they are both out of business. I would not want that to happen to anyone else. I wished the NJ brothers and sisters the best and said only time will tell if this will last. Thanks goodness for military retirement it is all I have to show for my career.

pilotyip said:
Where did I say greedy? I have worked at union airlines where pilots thought the sky was the limit for pay, they are both out of business. I would not want that to happen to anyone else. I wished the NJ brothers and sisters the best and said only time will tell if this will last. Thanks goodness for military retirement it is all I have to show for my career.

And Pilot salaries are what did these carriers in?

I ask this because I remember seeing the losses posted by some airlines, and the salary concessions made by pilots. I do not now remember the exact numbers but

Losses of $2 Billion and 40% paycuts to save $500 million.

Which means 100% paycuts would only save 1.25 Billion.

So pilots working for FREE they still loses 750 million!

Those are not the numbers but I saw something like this concerning United a while back.

Oh those greedy pilot unions....

You're correct, Pilotyip, you didn't say the word "greedy. Nor did I say that you did. I was questioning the tone and implications of your post. Too many times I've heard airline pilots blamed for all the woes in a situation which had plenty of blame to go around, not to mention factors that were beyond the control of anyone. I wanted to know if that was what you were implying in your post about UAL.

I think enough time has passed to show that the Fractionals fulfill a need in the aviation market. The pilots continue to provide a product the customer feels is worth the price. The biggest problem I've seen that has the most potential to "rock the boat" is the card program. That can be blamed on greed but not by the union. Owners were/are getting upset but not at the pilots. I suggest that policies made by those at the top, rather than fair salaries for pilots, have the greatest likelihood of hurting a frac company.

DO-82 driver, I have also heard the complaints (justified, I'll add) about some on the management side that should be replaced. SU leaders are doing their best to bring problems to light and work with management to find solutions. There have been encouraging signs that some at the Puzzle Palace would like to foster better labor relations with the union. It is something to build on. Just look at how far the NJ pilot-group came in a year when SU took over and 1108 was formed. I do think the company is starting to realize that there are some very smart leaders/volunteers in SU that have a lot to offer--aside from flying airplanes. The implementation process is doing more than just get the contract put in place. It is showing both sides that they can work together on projects that benefit everyone. May the New Year bring new beginnings for NJ pilots and their peers in the other frac companies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back