• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots in the job market--

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You may laugh, but we DID tip generously. It was seen as a way to spread good will and improve relations with the Egyptians. My husband was attached to the Embassy; we had diplomatic status and took the role seriously. It's a lesson that company managers would be wise to heed. Showing appreciation goes a long way toward building good morale, which in turn leads to greater productivity. Unfortunately, that common sense "rule" is too often swamped by something else that's common--greed.

Along with money, we tipped the camel owner a cold soda, dripping wet from our ice chest--a luxury to most Egyptians. Considering the heat that day, I think the soda was more welcome than the money. Remember, it's not only the money that matters. It's the tangible expression of appreciation for the service rendered. For pilots, that's true as well. Whether the tip comes from an owner, or is a bonus from the company, being told that your effort was valued is motivating.

Management???

netjetwife said:
Whether the tip comes from an owner, or is a bonus from the company, being told that your effort was valued is motivating.

Geez, Netjetwife. If i didnt know any better, I'd say you sounded like a well trained Management type uniquely skilled in positive motivation techniques.

Maybe you should be the CEO of your own company! Sounds like you have all the principles downpat for being a successful entrepreneur!

Knowing how to treat people isn't a unique skill. All that is required is a dedication to fair play and enough morals to do the right thing. Isn't one of the basic tenets of our country a fair wage for a full day's work? Hasn't it be proven over and over that the carrot works better than the stick? So what happened? I suggest that corporate greed has supplanted fairness in the workplace. If strong unions are required to level the playing field, whose fault is that? Put it to the vote. If the pilots are satisfied they'll vote for more of the same; if not, they'll install a union to represent their interests. What could be fairer than that?

Ms. Wife

netjetwife said:
...strong unions are required to level the playing field... What could be fairer than that?

I have a problem with your basic premise.

Strong Union (s) is / are not always required to level the playing field in companies. SOME companies, the more progressive ones especially, proactively level the playing field to prevent problems. Some actually provide a near ideal workplace where their employees are self-actualized...and HAPPY...where they actually take an ownership role! Imagine that!!!

Is this a concept you can grasp, or are you so far down the Strong Union road / (aka JIHAD aptly named by some in here) that you cannot see the bright stars in the big sky for the flashlight in your universe.

Pilots in the job market today, believe me, are savvy enough. They dont need to be prompted to look up.

Now, dont you have laundry to fold and a kitchen to clean, Ms. Wife?

netjetwife said:
Knowing how to treat people isn't a unique skill. All that is required is a dedication to fair play and enough morals to do the right thing. Isn't one of the basic tenets of our country a fair wage for a full day's work? Hasn't it be proven over and over that the carrot works better than the stick? So what happened? I suggest that corporate greed has supplanted fairness in the workplace. If strong unions are required to level the playing field, whose fault is that? Put it to the vote. If the pilots are satisfied they'll vote for more of the same; if not, they'll install a union to represent their interests. What could be fairer than that?

I'm quoting myself since you apparently missed part of my post--or more likely, chose to ignore it. There probably aren't many complaints at companies where pilots are treated professionally, but at those that there are , why would you begrudge them the right to raise their voices in protest?

No need to answer that question, Turbinehead. Your demeaning attitude towards me tells me that you have no problem with people being treated disrespectfully/unfairly. I, personally, admire those who stand up for themselves and fight for what is right.

Woha there cowboy

Turbinehead said:
I have a problem with your basic premise.

Strong Union (s) is / are not always required to level the playing field in companies. SOME companies, the more progressive ones especially, proactively level the playing field to prevent problems. Some actually provide a near ideal workplace where their employees are self-actualized...and HAPPY...where they actually take an ownership role! Imagine that!!!

Is this a concept you can grasp, or are you so far down the Strong Union road / (aka JIHAD aptly named by some in here) that you cannot see the bright stars in the big sky for the flashlight in your universe.

Pilots in the job market today, believe me, are savvy enough. They dont need to be prompted to look up.

Now, dont you have laundry to fold and a kitchen to clean, Ms. Wife?

Turbine

You just took that mad cow and kicked er between the eyes. You better prepare yerself for a serious azz whoopin you keep that up. Ifin I know that ol'girl, she's gonna come out swingin at you, and yer gonna be wishin' you were dead by the time she's done with ya.

Start runnin now, cause she's on that long legged camel and she's comin fer ya.

HEY gather round yall, I think the FRIDAY NIGHT JIHAD is about to begin. I'm puttin 20 bucks on the wife.

Last edited:
I can always tell when I'm winning the debate---

Thanks, gentlemen! Texas, did you know that I grew up in the Panhandle? :) I don't mind wearing my boots when I need to wade through the bull---- to make a point. As a shared observation, I can always tell when I'm winning the debate. Those who can't hold their own intellectually always fall back on insulting my gender and role as a wife. It has become a reliable barometer to the effectiveness of my posts. If I lacked the "stomach" for the fight, I'd have never survived the first week of posting here. By now, most of the pilots recognize that I do follow the situation closely enough to be able to comment and that I'm smart enough...and have enough grit...to back up my opinions. My posts are respectful because I have a lot of respect for those who share those attributes. For the exceptions, I carry the appropriate foot wear.

Standing by my posts..with boots on...
Netjetwife

PS Camels are stubborn creatures with a nasty habit of spitting, but I didn't let that stop me from enjoying the experience.

Latest resources

Back