• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots in the job market--

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The thing always lost in these arguments is that airlines or fractionals do not exist for the pilots to have careers or even any other employees. Furthermore they do not exist for management types. They exist so owners can profit, that simple. Managers that succeed usually are rewarded more than those who fail. Again, pretty simple. It does not usuall set well for managers to run companies into the ground.

The fact is that a product is sold at a margin the customers will purchase it. Management tries to come up with a plan, a product, a system that will allow it to make money for the owners.

If they cannot do that, they fail. Normally that means the employees are sent home and they have to go seek new employment. If the company succeeds, then the company usually keeps going, employees and management stay employed.

I think you're putting a negative spin on Flylow's post, Mr. Otoole, that isn't warranted. Now that the labor dispute is behind them the company and the union are free to concentrate on the formula that makes them the largest fractional company. That NJA believes they must be doing something right due to their lead in the industry comes across to their employees. Are they confident or complacent? Based on how hard both sides are working to implement the new contract and focus on improvements in other areas, I don't think your dire warnings are justified.

miles otoole said:
A big ego, indeed. From a pure competitive standpoint, you had better hope management and sales are losing sleep looking at the other guys. Just looking at aircraft, unless your prospects don't care about what aircraft they purchase, the landscape is VERY competitive across the industry.
CJ3 vs. LR40XR vs. 400XP
Sovereign vs. CL300 vs. G200 vs. CX
DA2000 vs. DA2000EX vs. CL604
With the large jets being a draw, it seems to me that NJA clearly doesn't have a superior competitive aircraft, some in fact inferior by many standards. I sure hope your service is far superior.
I personally would be a bit nervous if my management team told me they don't even consider the competition. Heck, Michael Dell is famous for worrying about his companies competiton-and look at the market share they command. I can't imagine him telling his team that he doesn't even consider the competition. A huge ego upstairs, indeed. That alone would make me nervous.

Ok. Please forward your concerns to someone who can do something about it at NJA. They don't listen to us.

WheresRocky said:
More RUFM diatribe from ALLAnetjetwife.

Don't know what RUFM is: newly coined phrase by one of your own...

FLYLOW22 said:

We like to call it the URFM pal!

Unionistic radical fundamentalism at work. RUFM up, Netjetwife!

Dude. I am sorry and must apologize. I was trying to be a bit sarcastic mixed with humor. On top of that I used far too many letters for you to follow. In addition, you missed where I came up with the phrase altogether. I have a trifecta!!!

In point of fact it was you, WheresRocky, who came up with the "newly coined phrase" URFM. I am puzzled why you inaccurately described it as RUFM.

Take authorship Rocky.

Is that how you like it; RUFM?

Good one, FlyLow! :) You guys can get away with that stuff. I just get called a terrorist.

Hawkxp,
"I want to show management that we as pilots are not going to take this anymore."

Yeah that's like cutting your own foot off because it went to sleep. That will teach that foot a lesson.

You think delta management has run the company into the ground? You mean to tell me that you never took advantage of any of the loopholes to make yourself extra money?? That's all I have ever heard from a delta pilot; how they could make double money doing certain trips overseas etc... Well let me tell you that I believe the pilots have had their equal share in running delta into the ground if you ask me. The problem with Delta is that there are too many pilots running the show in management. Pilots need to stay in airplanes, not behind desks.

I think pilots and management need to work together to find solutions that are fair and will ensure the viability of the company. That means wages that are fair and work rules that are sustainable while being productive. Smart managers treat the labor force like people not machines. NJ pilots want a career not just a stepping-stone job. Standing up for your rights doesn't mean refusing to listen to valid points. The new contract closes loopholes while increasing pay. Doing the right thing for all concerned is possible when leaders set aside egos and focus on solving problems. Having a strong union and a strong company are not mutually exclusive.

netjetwife said:
Having a strong union and a strong company are not mutually exclusive.

Really? Name a strong company in the private sector with a strong union and a strong bottom line. It's worked so well for GM, Ford, US Steel, Delta, US Air, United, American, Northwest, TWA, Eastern, Braniff, and PanAm.

SeaSpray said:
Really? Name a strong company in the private sector with a strong union and a strong bottom line. It's worked so well for GM, Ford, US Steel, Delta, US Air, United, American, Northwest, TWA, Eastern, Braniff, and PanAm.

How about Southwest and their pilots' union: SWAPA? If you want to learn more, try this link: http://www.swapa.org/Mission.htm

Latest resources

Back