"Pilots don't mind making $16,000 per year because it's a stepping stone."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're funny.
My airlines CEO recently met with the pilot group and one of the fo's was complaining to him about the low pay. The CEO responded with somthing that reminded me of your statement. He said "Where else can you make what you already make, only working 1/2 the year."

F/O shoulda replied "Firefighter/EMT....except I'd be making more and have a pension, and be responsible for many fewer lives than I am now".

Registered Nurse (RN) or Pharmacists, and they are cleaning up. They can hit that $100,000 the first year.

I disagree with ASA_Aviator's sentiment. However, a first year RN or a Pharmacist should make more, way more than a hot shot pilot mill grad that went for zero time to RJ FO in a year. Now, if the standards are raised for regional airline new-hires, then larger first year earnings can be discussed. Even then, it shouldn't be anywhere near $100,000, not even half of that.

Registered Nurse (RN) or Pharmacists, and they are cleaning up. They can hit that $100,000 the first year.

That's not likely or normal.

Average starting pay in the USA for an RN is $54K including signing bonuses and tuition stipends, less, if you work in an 8-5 private practice.

If you are a BSN that increases about $10K/yr, and if you specialize into Nurse Manager or Nurse Practitioner, your up to $75K to $100K, depending on the region in the USA you are working.

Pharmacology "starts" depend on qualifications/degree and whether your working for a chain (CVS, Walgreens, etc) or a pharm company (Merck, American Cyanamid, Lederle Labs, etc).

My sister-in-law graduated from PCPS 15 years ago with a B.S. in Pharmacology and started two weeks after graduatiing for CVS in NJ managing 3 pharmacies...$57K. Today starting salaries for her qualifications are in the $80K range and max out after 20 years at around $105K. (source - http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Pharmacist/Salary/by_Years_Experience)

T8

F/O shoulda replied "Firefighter/EMT....except I'd be making more and have a pension...
...and have job stability...and not be forced to work until age 65 because 2 or 3 furloughs and starting over at the bottom does wonders for the retirement:rolleyes:

You and Joe Pilot sure make a cute couple. So now you've fallen into the luxuries of having a nice FO senior line (a byproduct of luck, patience perhaps, timing....for now until your company runs into trouble as airlines comically do) and want the rest of us to know how poor you are as FOs. Because the posts seem to imply that you just let the CA worry about the flight while you sit back and relax. Here's where you idiocy shines through, you probably tell everyone including management, that is unless you aren't indeed part of a cut-throat chief pilot's office, how easy you have it which is all the more reason for someone to cut your fluff lifestyle down. But if it strokes your ego, continue to let some wonder 18 year olds on here know so they can undercut your pay and lifestyle in the future. Cause dude, I'd be happy with 12-13 days off a month and 20 bucks an hour to fly a 737.

<shrugs>

It's not my fault if you find flying difficult. Perhaps you should request additional remedial training. :)

ASA Aviator-

You're not paid to fly the normal stuff...you are paid to handle the non-normal stuff. I would think with your experience you would recognize that difference. You started this career from a previous one that made a decent amount of money (based on your comments). That is quite different from those of us that went to college and then worked our way's up to where we are today. Perhaps if you looked at it from the point of view of not starting with money, you might have a different opinion.

I understand that we are paid for the non-normal stuff. With excellent training and being diligent with staying current, we should be able to handle the non-normal stuff.

I realize that my comments aren't popular. I wish we made more money too. I believe that we deserve it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an easy job, and we are already pretty well paid. Look at the average pay in the US...

We are paid to be away from home for 3-4 or more days per week. I get that. We are paid to get up early, and go to bed late for 3-4 days in a row. We are paid to deal with scheduling, not be able to plan our lives more than 30 days in advance, not know if we are going to attend our own weddings until the 24th of the prior month, etc. I know this. But I still love my job, and wouldn't go back to my previous career where I had more flexibility, more money, and more responsibility. Does that make me have SJS? I don't think so. I think it means that I am in the right job! After all, some people LOVE scooping up bat crap and feel the way about their jobs that I do about mine.

My main point is that we shouldn't complain so much. If you hate your job, LEAVE! It would create more opportunity for those of us who do. But, you don't leave, and I believe the reason why is that you realize how great this job is, even though you love to complain. :)

To those of you who responded with actual good points, thanks. The rest of you need to grow up.

The ROI on a $100k investment will not be very good in this industry.

I did the local FBO route and had paid off my flight training by the time I was flying checks. At the regional where I worked, I knew guys still paying $500 per month, I don't know how they did it.

This job is harsh enough economically without carrying that kind of debt around.

Agreed. It shouldn't cost so much to get into the industry.

You're funny.
My airlines CEO recently met with the pilot group and one of the fo's was complaining to him about the low pay. The CEO responded with somthing that reminded me of your statement. He said "Where else can you make what you already make, only working 1/2 the year." He then said "If you want to earn more money, get another part time job".

You shouldn't accept substandard wages because you're lucky enough to only work 3 days per week. It's not a trade off.

Define substandard? I agree though, you shouldn't accept substandard wages, but currently that is the only option if you want to be a pilot. After all, being union, didn't WE make the first year pay what it is? Why don't we knock the top pay for the captains down a few notches, knock down the top FO pay a few notches, and give the first year guys $30,000.00/year? Riiiight, that's gonna happen.

It does suck that you have to "start over" when you go to another airline, but until the unionistas get rid of the seniority system, that ain't gonna change. If "quality" really concerned the unions, they would get rid of the seniority system, and adopt some sort of seniority/merit based system of advance. (They also would stop getting people's jobs back that didn't deserve to get them back.)

Latest resources

Back