• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Pilots don't mind making $16,000 per year because it's a stepping stone."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can not have a merit based system. Not possible. Define how one would work, without making us laugh, and I'll give you a dollar.

Most of the guys that aren't bitching are most likely unmarried, and/or without kids, and/or not commuting, and/or not at their 3rd airline, and/or not in debt, and/or not on reserve. I know it's great, I'm one of those guys. But to say we don't deserve to have our pay keep up with inflation over the last 30 years is asinine. What changed? Why are we the only industry of professionals that have to put up with this?

You can not have a merit based system. Not possible. Define how one would work, without making us laugh, and I'll give you a dollar.

Most of the guys that aren't bitching are most likely unmarried, and/or without kids, and/or not commuting, and/or not at their 3rd airline, and/or not in debt, and/or not on reserve. I know it's great, I'm one of those guys. But to say we don't deserve to have our pay keep up with inflation over the last 30 years is asinine. What changed? Why are we the only industry of professionals that have to put up with this?

Doctors have seen a huge decrease in the amount they earn over the past 30 years.

To say that our job is easy is to say that firemen have an easy job. After all, they spend the better part of most days playing poker and barbequeing, right? Same deal. Although we are much more fatigued on a regular basis, we have to pay the equivalent of a small house to get qualified, we can lose our entire careers on any given day for a moment's inattentiveness, and, oh yeah, we spend many years making less than firefighters. But you're right, it's mostly an easy job.

To say that our job is easy is to say that firemen have an easy job.

Firemen get paid for their training after they get hired. OR at smaller departments, it is usually free paid by the state.

And I can speak from experience that while physically demanding at times, the job of a firefighter is much much easier than a pilot on a daily basis.

Oh yea, and plus you are respected by the people you serve and the supervisors above you. That's priceless.

Oh wait, I forgot the 20 days off a month.
Nah...you didn't forget, because you know that the 20 off a month only happens with seniority there's a very good chance you'll never get to enjoy.

Firemen get paid for their training after they get hired. OR at smaller departments, it is usually free paid by the state.

And I can speak from experience that while physically demanding at times, the job of a firefighter is much much easier than a pilot on a daily basis.

Oh yea, and plus you are respected by the people you serve and the supervisors above you. That's priceless.

I think you missed my point. Being a fireman is easy until you come close to dying every once in a while. Kind of changes your perspective of "easy job".

Last edited:
It does suck that you have to "start over" when you go to another airline, but until the unionistas get rid of the seniority system, that ain't gonna change. If "quality" really concerned the unions, they would get rid of the seniority system.........

So the seniority system in the airline biz is due to the "unionistas?" Could you please list in your response to me the non-union airlines that don't have a seniority system? The ones where "quality" really concerns them and they'll hire a 10,000 hr. furloughed pilot and place him in the Captain's seat ahead of the guys on their non-union list with seniority accrued?

To those of you who responded with actual good points, thanks. The rest of you need to grow up.

Oh? Just because most of us has disagreed means that we have to "grow up"?:rolleyes: News for you Junior, Not everyone in your life will agree with you. It is you that needs to grow up.....and grow a pair while you're at it.

Can of worms?

If "quality" really concerned the unions, they would get rid of the seniority system, and adopt some sort of seniority/merit based system of advance.

One reason that "merit" has not been adopted as the standard for advancement is that people can't agree on who will award the rankings. Should it be Management? Sim instructors/check airmen? Crewmembers who fly with the guy frequently? Clerks who track on-time/fuel burn stats? If the answer is "all of the above", what weight will be assigned to the order of merit produced by each source? I can foresee infighting, campaigning, and even corruption in such a system.

One reason that "merit" has not been adopted as the standard for advancement is that people can't agree on who will award the rankings. Should it be Management? Sim instructors/check airmen? Crewmembers who fly with the guy frequently? Clerks who track on-time/fuel burn stats? If the answer is "all of the above", what weight will be assigned to the order of merit produced by each source? I can foresee infighting, campaigning, and even corruption in such a system.

Bingo!

Latest resources

Back