• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot uniforms at VA and Skybus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You missed the beginning of the thread. People were bitching about Skybus and VA uniforms. I simply was bringing up a few alternatives to the "traditional" uniform.

I read the beginning. There's no reason to be looking for alternatives to tradition because the tradition works just fine and it's exactly what the pax want to see.

As for your responses to my questions. When was the last time the pilots were responsible for an emergency evac, shouldn't they be securing the plane, talking with ground, and co-ordinating everything while the F/A's handle the actual task of evacuations. I was told that that is what they are there for.

At every company I've worked at (3 different pax airlines) the FO was responsible for a few short items on the evac check, and then he ran back to deal with the evacuation. The Captain followed after he was done and took charge. The FAs are there to lead the initial evacuation, but the Captain is always ultimately in command of the situation.

Your opinion that the ground crew needs to be able to identify who is in charge by the stripes is a plausible answer. Not a good one when you consider no one else wears these type of markers and all the rampers, MX, and gate agents are able to find out who is in charge when a question comes up.

At a station, the rampers, agents, etc... know who their supervisors are because they work with them on a daily basis and report directly to them. Major carriers (and even large regionals) have thousands of Captains. Without the identifying rank markings, no one would have a clue who the Captain was.

Silly me, I alway assumed they would just ask the guy in the left seat, he is usually the guy in charge.

We're not always sitting in our seats. We could be greeting pax, standing at the gate counter on the phone with dispatch, etc...

I did notice you conveniently left out my quote of terrorist being able to identify the crew. In this day and age should that not be the main concern.

It's a concern, but it doesn't trump all the other factors. All things being considered, it simply doesn't make sense to have pilots dressed as average Joes.

Most of your responses are null and void when you consider the fact that the crew is locked in the front for the whole flight. No need to impress the PAX when they cannot come up for a visit or even see up front except when loading.

When pilots walk up to the gate, the pax are measuring you up and developing an impression of you. Make no mistake about it, your professionalism is judged by the pax in a split second based on your initial appearance to them. They may only see you for a few minutes before and after the flight, but in those few minutes you are a representative of the carrier and of the profession. You should have the traditional and professional appearance that the pax have come to expect.

You missed the beginning of the thread. People were bitching about Skybus and VA uniforms. I simply was bringing up a few alternatives to the "traditional" uniform.

Alternatives to traditional? That wouldn't be traditional, that would be contemperary (sp) or progressive...

As for your responses to my questions. When was the last time the pilots were responsible for an emergency evac, shouldn't they be securing the plane, talking with ground, and co-ordinating everything while the F/A's handle the actual task of evacuations. I was told that that is what they are there for.

Well, if they are to coordinate then sholuldn't the coordinator be identifed? I think if a plane ful of pax evacuated out onto the taxiway they are going to look for direction and security....

Your opinion that the ground crew needs to be able to identify who is in charge by the stripes is a plausible answer. Not a good one when you consider no one else wears these type of markers and all the rampers, MX, and gate agents are able to find out who is in charge when a question comes up.

Not when a pilot is out of the seat. Ask a female pilot how she is identified as an FA! Even with four stripes...

Silly me, I alway assumed they would just ask the guy in the left seat, he is usually the guy in charge.

yes..... silly you....

I did notice you conveniently left out my quote of terrorist being able to identify the crew. In this day and age should that not be the main concern. Most of your responses are null and void when you consider the fact that the crew is locked in the front for the whole flight. No need to impress the PAX when they cannot come up for a visit or even see up front except when loading.

Pretty far fetched...as the terrorist rush the flightdeck, the uniformed pilot gets shot....

Last but not least please forgive my inability to type, (Epaulets) as you can see by my bio I fly a plane that requires no typing skills, only stick and rudder skills........

And human factors skills.... even for box haulers

Now if I could wear scrubs while driving the diesel every night we might be onto something.......maybe I should call the union............

Union? Air Line Pilots Do Not Run Airlines... Call your Chief Pilot...

Last edited:
I read the beginning. There's no reason to be looking for alternatives to tradition because the tradition works just fine and it's exactly what the pax want to see.

At every company I've worked at (3 different pax airlines) the FO was responsible for a few short items on the evac check, and then he ran back to deal with the evacuation. The Captain followed after he was done and took charge. The FAs are there to lead the initial evacuation, but the Captain is always ultimately in command of the situation.

At a station, the rampers, agents, etc... know who their supervisors are because they work with them on a daily basis and report directly to them. Major carriers (and even large regionals) have thousands of Captains. Without the identifying rank markings, no one would have a clue who the Captain was.

We're not always sitting in our seats. We could be greeting pax, standing at the gate counter on the phone with dispatch, etc...

It's a concern, but it doesn't trump all the other factors. All things being considered, it simply doesn't make sense to have pilots dressed as average Joes.

When pilots walk up to the gate, the pax are measuring you up and developing an impression of you. Make no mistake about it, your professionalism is judged by the pax in a split second based on your initial appearance to them. They may only see you for a few minutes before and after the flight, but in those few minutes you are a representative of the carrier and of the profession. You should have the traditional and professional appearance that the pax have come to expect.

To believe that the PAX care about the crew and how profesional they look is a joke. Why do you think there is a Skybus or VA, PAX care about $$$$. The ticket price is 5 bucks less to FLL so they will go with that airline. I assume by the 717 that you fly that that you work for Airtran (good company and thanks for the many rides). They are a discount airline (god love them) and most people who fly on them do it for price.

The glory days of aviation are dead and gone (I wil miss them). Most PAX do not care about the "dress code" of the guys up front. If they were concerned with profesionalism and experience there would be no commuters hiring with 200 hrs. Price trumps all for the PAX industry. I do agree that a neat appearance is important when representing your company, but the traditional uniform is not a "needed" item. Again back to the original thread, Skybus and VA are doing something different with the uniforms, this does not make them any less professional or qualified and I bet there seats are full in the back even though they are wearing a polo shirt.

Thanks for the counterpoints PCL_128, you made some good arguments for my questions:beer:

Box-

Look at the May SWA Timetable.... on the cover are two SWA pilots.....with hats... everytime any oganization wants to use the image of a pilot to promote thier product or service.... they use a sharp dressed pilot.... with hats....

Uniform, behavior and attitude is the only image we have as pilots.... to promote our professionalism...

To believe that the PAX care about the crew and how profesional they look is a joke. Why do you think there is a Skybus or VA, PAX care about $$$$.

Pax want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to pay dirt-cheap prices, but they also demand professional pilots. I think you're way off base thinking that the passengers don't pay attention to the appearance and behavior of their pilots.

Behavior yes, appearance to a point. If you come to work with 12 o'clock shadow smelling of beer and a bar then yes the PAX will care. If you have 2 clean shaven (girl or boy) crew that are dressed in whatever the company determines is the "dress code" then the PAX will not care. A crew in casual pants (not torn jeans) and a nice shirt (polo or button down) would be more than acceptable to the average "discount PAX". Again just get them to FLL for a cheap price and they will not care if the crew is wearing hats and shoulder boards.

** CONCEPT **

If management makes you look less like the image of a six-figure professional, maybe you will get used to the idea of never being paid as one.

It's called "Declining by Degrees". Part of management's plan to turn you into bus drivers.

OK guys after seeing the Skybus outfits you were all right. They look like Vegas dealers, and not the good kind at a big named hotel but the sleazy kind off the strip......

I beg for all your forgiveness for my lack of understanding and for trying to go off the reservation. I will gladly put on my superhero outfit tonight (stripes, tie, uncomfortable wool pants, everything except the hat) and go to work..........

Forgive me, I know not what I do...........

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back