• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot to Nurse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, from what I know on the subject, an RN is now a 4 year degree not 2 years like in the past. But if you decide to do it (from what my mom tells me) do the RN not the LPN.
good luck

I think you're talking about a BSN.
ASN two year degree at Community College.

University Bridge program will take you to BSN (if you desire the degree).

Either degree gets you a ticket to take the boards to be registered nurse.

An RN is a BSN and is a 4 year course, LPN is two year and limits you big time. My sis is an RN, makes over @$75K and works from home 2 days a week.

A male friend of mine who has a BA has been working towards his nursing degree. He'll start with $85-90K depending on the specialty he goes into.

LPN is only a 1 year course, and RN is 2 years. There isn't really a demand for LPNs, the only reason I would think to get one would be to get into the RN program faster. Most schools have a 2 year wait for the RN program, but LPN might have no wait. If you have your LPN and are transferring to RN, you normally get to bypass the wait.

An RN is a BSN and is a 4 year course, LPN is two year and limits you big time. My sis is an RN, makes over @$75K and works from home 2 days a week.

Not entirely true. At one time most RN programs were ASN, and could be done in 2 years. The BSN was just for those that wanted to move up into adminstration or nursing education programs.

Its gradually moved more towards BSN programs and there are a lot less ASN than there used to be, but there are still some out there, and one can still take RN boards with an ASN.

For someone who just wants to be an RN and doesnt care about being head nurse, stuff like that, ASN is perfectly fine. My mom is an ICU/CCU nurse, and just made 100,000 this year.

my mom went to Penn State in 1968-1970, then the RN was a 2 year degree.

also I see some of you guys have posted big $$$ salaries, I've been told you can make that but you have to be will to be basically a "whore". You have to be available to travel and cover several hospitals and the 100K jobs you are a contractor with no benefits, you provide your own. It's kind of like you can make 100K+ as a commuter/regional pilot but you need to pick up open time and work your a$$ to do it.

After 38 years (28 at the same hospital), on a 3 day/week sked, 12 hour days, 36hr paid at 40/week, (considered full time at her hospital) her salary is 65K.

Actually my mom does not have to do that at a all, just a standard alternating 3 or 4 days each week at same hospital in north Texas, as am employee and not a contractor.

Nurses bring home more than Doctors right away, because Doc's have to pay for their own insurance.

Some very specialized nurses (anesthetists) might earn more than some non specialized, underperforming family practice doctors, but to overgeneralize this to the degree this statement has would be very misleading.

The most generic family practice doctors should be earning at least $120,000 - $140,000/yr. in most markets...though I know of one who lacks ambition who is closer to $85,000/yr. Depending on speciality, doctors with more training can easily exceed $250k/yr. Cardiologists are capable of pulling down well over $500k/yr. - after malpractice insurance.

My wife is a RN and she makes about 54k working 3 12 hour days. She could've gone to one hospital and made 18k as a bonus, but usually those are given out for not so easy to fill positions. She works in ICU now and likes it. She has a 4 year degree in nursing and it has made our lives somewhat stable. Think long and hard my friend. She told me the other day she had some guy ******************** his pants in one of the beds and it was runny and watery all over the bed, him, everything. Guess who got to clean it up. If you find taking care of people rewarding, it can be a great job. If you're in it just for the money, you'll be looking for other work pronto. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back