Pilot to Nurse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PA44,

Nursing is a good field and the job description is as varied as the day is long.

My wife is a CNOR (Certified Nurse Operating Room) with a ASN. She works for a small surgery center that mainly does elective/reconstructive work. 4-10 hour shifts a week. $60K/year, full benefits, and a $5K bonus this XMas. Lots of PTO.

My mother is an RN with a ASN. She has worked both Cardiac ICU and Hospice. The hospice work is tough and she is going back to cardiac work. $55-65/year, full benfits, and LOTS of PTO. Major hospital in OK.

My brother is an NP (Nurse Practicioner) and received his BSN prior to that. He works for a N. Texas hospital in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). $125K day one. Full benfits. Lots of time on the greens. 6 years of dedicated school work. Not easy but he is enjoying the rewards now.

The nursing field can vary from surgery, to POSTOP, ICU, ER, flight nurse, hospice, home health, etc. There is a niche for just about everyone if you can handle needles (I can't!).

Good luck in your quest. I hope you find what you're looking for.

DAS

Guys, thanks for providing all of your opinions. I come from a medical family with two Doctors and one Nurse so I have a good idea of the good and the bad. Honestly it's nice to be excited once again about the potential of a successful career. Not saying that it can't, or won't happen flying for the airlines, but after giving 9 years of my life and near 70K in education and living expenses to make it happen I just can no longer justify the 40K a year with no hope of advancement on the horizon. To all of those that decide to stick out these tough times with the airlines, I wish you tailwinds(or headwinds for the paycheck) and blue skies. Hopefully things turn around soon. Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back