• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot to Nurse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you already have a Paramedic certification, there are several on line programs that offer "bridge" programs. Walden and University of Phx are two that come to mind.

and both offer MSN in Nursing as well if you want to go past RN. My friend puts people to sleep for surgery, all day long. Money is sure better that flying but the long hours of study should be what you expect from your pilot training. Once you established in a new career, then you could have some money left over to buy a share on a Mooney! Fly for fun, work to earn.

ADNs consistently score higher on the NCLEX than BSNs. Ther better prepared because of the threat that ADNs will one day not be able to practice as RNs. Jppt is right. If you have a pulse and know the 5 rights your hired.

Another option after becoming an RN is working as a call center Nurse. They basically answer calls from patients and direct thmm to the hosiptal if needed. pays the same as most RN jobs and you dont have to worry about the not so fun parts of being a nurse.

For better answers to your questions, I'd like to direct you to www.allnurses.com This is a message board for nurses, nursing students, etc., and if you have a question about anything, there is no doubt an answer there.

I think most people go into nursing and choose RN vs BSN based on who they get their info from. So, to each his own. But, after decades in the business, after earning my MSN, and after teaching countless students, I wouldn't want to be taken care of by someone without a BSN. But, opinions are like a$$holes......

Good luck to you. And to the poster who stated all you had to know were the 5 rights to get hired....it's become a lot more complicated than that (although the 5 rights are a good place to start). You need to think not just about getting hired, not just about passing the NCLEX, but about how your choices now will affect your career trajectory in the future.

Nursing can be just as snobby a profession as aviation (you went to Riddle....ewwww) if you know what I mean. The statement that "once I passed the NCLEX and could state my 5 rights I was set" is old school. It is going to be harder and harder to get jobs with advancement potential without more education.

End of my input on this thread. Go to allnurses.com for more accurate, (and more biased sometimes) information.

Stay Healthy,

The Naughty Nurse

For better answers to your questions, I'd like to direct you to www.allnurses.com This is a message board for nurses, nursing students, etc., and if you have a question about anything, there is no doubt an answer there.

I think most people go into nursing and choose RN vs BSN based on who they get their info from. So, to each his own. But, after decades in the business, after earning my MSN, and after teaching countless students, I wouldn't want to be taken care of by someone without a BSN. But, opinions are like a$$holes......

Good luck to you. And to the poster who stated all you had to know were the 5 rights to get hired....it's become a lot more complicated than that (although the 5 rights are a good place to start). You need to think not just about getting hired, not just about passing the NCLEX, but about how your choices now will affect your career trajectory in the future.

Nursing can be just as snobby a profession as aviation (you went to Riddle....ewwww) if you know what I mean. The statement that "once I passed the NCLEX and could state my 5 rights I was set" is old school. It is going to be harder and harder to get jobs with advancement potential without more education.

End of my input on this thread. Go to allnurses.com for more accurate, (and more biased sometimes) information.

Stay Healthy,

The Naughty Nurse

Thanks for the helpful information. I actually found allnurses.com yesterday and you're right, there is all kinds of info there.

Think it over first !!

RN's have some of the highest alcoholism and drug abuse rates in any job field you are around ill people constantly , work god awful hours and may wind up having to work in inner city low income areas . I am speaking from experience also the burn out rate is very high and there is alot of acromony between RN's LPN's and other care givers .

uh, the difference is what?

(INSERT ANY AVIATION JOB BESIDES ATC CONTROLLER) have some of the highest alcoholism and drug abuse rates in any job field you are around ill people constantly , work god awful hours and may wind up having (INSERT TO "STAY IN HOTEL" / "WORK" / "RESIDE") in inner city low income areas . I am speaking from experience also the burn out rate is very high and there is alot of acromony between (INSERT PILOTS AND FAs / MECHANICS / MANAGEMENT) .

Uh, and the difference is?

Oh, the job security and ability to literally find employment in any city in the world.

Do some research

like every other job more and more hospitals are using more non RN.s to perform any job that does not require an RN such as medical assistants and LPN's add into that tension between these workers . Its almost like having scabs taking jobs from more qualified people. These non RN's are usually lower quality care givers many non US residents who can work here legally .Sure you can be an RN in Billings Montana but to make decent coin as an RN you need to work in LA, NYC, Bos and other high cost ,high stress locations .
On a side note even though a lot of RN's are subjected to very ill people many times getting exposed and sick yourself you would be suprised at the hoops you would jump through when you needed to use any sick time . Including being visited /called at home to verify you are actually sick.
When was the last time a cockpit crew member got a accidental needle stick,puked on or subjected to someone TB positive?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back