• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot to Nurse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As an RN (currently working) with several years of experience, there are a few things to think about before jumping into nursing school. First, do you have a previous bachelor's degree? If so, there are bridge programs that can get you a BSN (or even an MSN which is even better) in 1-2 years rather than starting completely over.

Trust me when I tell you that you will want your BSN. There are 2 reasons for this. First reason, is evidence-based medicine. There was a trend in the 1990s toward hiring mostly LPNs and associate degree RNs. The patient outcomes during that time were directly linked to whether the nurse was an LPN, a 2-year RN, or a BSN/RN. The patients cared for by the BSN/RNs had much better outcomes (meaning they got better faster and had fewer avoidable complications). So, now more hospitals are looking for BSNs, not just for head-nurse, charge nurse positions, but for basic care, because they must meet certain standards in order to get $$ from the government as well as insurance companies. The second reason goes along with the first. You would be surprised how many nurses are losing their jobs in certain states (Nevada comes to mind). The more education you have, the better you will be positioned if/when that happens in your area. For example, areas where the housing bubble was particularly overvalued, there are now fewer illegals (who make up a large number of patients in some areas) and more and more people unemployed without insurance. This equals fewer patients. So, there are hospitals cutting nursing jobs and even entire departments in NV, AZ, and CA, depending on how bad they are doing economically.

On the other hand, you can go anywhere in the US and make a good living. Yes you work hard, but you have the opportunity to make a difference in a way that can truly change people's lives for the better. I can tell you from experience, however, that those who do it solely for the $$ burn out quickly and end up finding something else to do.

Good luck!!

Notice I said "Right away".

If student loans are factored in, and we're limiting our discussion to general/family practice doctors starting their own private practice vs. joining an established practice, that may be correct for a year or two.

That's still a very broad generalization.

Nurses do a thankless, dirty job...which is the main reason the pay is what it is. That said, nurses are like the flight attendant of the medical profession. In the short term, Flight Attendants may earn more "right away" when student loan expenses and first year pay is compared - but saying a Flight Attendant earns more than pilots would be an equally broad generalization.

Any thoughts on the travel nurse program... a vagabond but you get to see allot of great places and make good coin.....

Anyone?

Any thoughts on the travel nurse program... a vagabond but you get to see allot of great places and make good coin.....

Anyone?
I know a girl who is into one of these programs. She loves it. But the Medical field is not for me. There's alot of stuff they don't show you on the ER type shows on TV.

Anyone?
Travel Nurses aren't always what they sound like.
People tend to think TN's are constantly on the move from town to town.
My wife can move to travelers status and stay here the whole time.

As an RN (currently working) with several years of experience, there are a few things to think about before jumping into nursing school. First, do you have a previous bachelor's degree? If so, there are bridge programs that can get you a BSN (or even an MSN which is even better) in 1-2 years rather than starting completely over.

Trust me when I tell you that you will want your BSN. There are 2 reasons for this. First reason, is evidence-based medicine. There was a trend in the 1990s toward hiring mostly LPNs and associate degree RNs. The patient outcomes during that time were directly linked to whether the nurse was an LPN, a 2-year RN, or a BSN/RN. The patients cared for by the BSN/RNs had much better outcomes (meaning they got better faster and had fewer avoidable complications). So, now more hospitals are looking for BSNs, not just for head-nurse, charge nurse positions, but for basic care, because they must meet certain standards in order to get $$ from the government as well as insurance companies. The second reason goes along with the first. You would be surprised how many nurses are losing their jobs in certain states (Nevada comes to mind). The more education you have, the better you will be positioned if/when that happens in your area. For example, areas where the housing bubble was particularly overvalued, there are now fewer illegals (who make up a large number of patients in some areas) and more and more people unemployed without insurance. This equals fewer patients. So, there are hospitals cutting nursing jobs and even entire departments in NV, AZ, and CA, depending on how bad they are doing economically.

On the other hand, you can go anywhere in the US and make a good living. Yes you work hard, but you have the opportunity to make a difference in a way that can truly change people's lives for the better. I can tell you from experience, however, that those who do it solely for the $$ burn out quickly and end up finding something else to do.

Good luck!!

The majority of the Associates Degree RN's that I have been speaking with are actually still in school for the RN to BSN. It sounds like quite a bit of people get the 2 year RN to start making some money and then go back while working to finish the BSN in a year. Essentially they end up with a BSN in 3 years vs. 4 it sounds like.

I think someone probably has mentioned this earlier, but have you considered going the route of a physician's assistant? I know a couple of them personally, and from my observation it seems the work is easier with equal or better pay. Not sure about the difference in schooling requirements, though. I'm not an expert there.

Best wishes to you, and keep your hand in the flying any way you can!

very sad that aviation had gone to the dogs why ask the pft guys the ones who work for free also" me me me i fly your a/c for the flying time turbo time yes that is what the airline want me me" sound familiar

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with your post.

Aviation has not gone to the dogs, is still a respectable career even if it doesn't pay the best, has not much to do with "PFT" whether some of us choose to do that or not.

I busted my butt, paid my dues, made mostly good career choices, and have enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. It's 90 percent about attitude, no matter what you do.

The best captains I've flown with in the regional world love what they do in spite of circumstance... and I strive to be like them. It's what you make of it!

Sorry, now back to the original topic. Pilot to Nurse...?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back