• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PAX Helps Land CO 757?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least now you can see why his brain hurts.
Stunning humor "VETRIDER" what a great play on my screen name. So, do you really have a Corvette? Wow! Do you wear driving gloves and cool sunglasses too? You....must be.....a....PILOT!!!!

cant see why u need help to land a 757 you can certainly reach everything from the left seat....our 757 had no right seat tiller...

The very same folks that are trying to hang this guy would be the same folks trying to hang him if he landed it solo.If he had so much as a flat tire you guys would try to suggest that it was due to not having someone in whatever seat.

To suggest that his actions during an emergency due to the death of a cockpit crew member were/are questionable is sheer nonsense.
Twist it around any way you want as many of you will surely try.

But...A fully qualified Captain took action based upon the availible resources at the time and used his emergency authority to determine a course of action that resulted in the safe return of the passengers,crew,and aircraft.

To question his actions based solely on the accounts of the media and second hand rumor is more than questionable,its a disservice to all of us that share a cockpit.

The end result speaks for itself.
Amen.

Stunning humor "VETRIDER" what a great play on my screen name. So, do you really have a Corvette? Wow! Do you wear driving gloves and cool sunglasses too? You....must be.....a....PILOT!!!!

Not quite, you're welcome to try again, though.

Last edited:
As such an experienced pilot, flying your 1900,................. The day I need sarcasm from a 1900 pilot for a reasonable question on a majors public forum has not arrived yet.

I bet he can't wait to be as good as you someday. Maybe send him a poster of yourself.

As such an experienced pilot, flying your 1900, I feel remorse that I need to point out that from what I read, there was really no reason to do a seat swap in flight--the point being that even with the autopilot on, there was no one at the controls. The FO/IOE Capt ck airman can make his own choices in an emergency situation, but I was curious why, if the Capt upgrade was dead, would you not land, do the seat swap, and taxi to the gate? If the Capt upgrade's life was still in question, why would you take time for a seat swap instead of concentrating on the divert? I have full confidence that these questions are easily answered by what the Ck airman's plan was, that is why I am asking. Emergency decisions are just that...there really is no right answer. Sounds like the ck airman did a great job. I am not second guessing his succesful outcome. I am curious professionally what his thought process was. The day I need sarcasm from a 1900 pilot for a reasonable question on a majors public forum has not arrived yet.
What if the check airman was just more comfortable in the left seat? Would that be a valid thought process for the seat swap?

there was really no reason to do a seat swap in flight--the point being that even with the autopilot on, there was no one at the controls.

It would take 5 or 6 seconds maximum to swap seats. If you can't remain in control of the aircraft (with the autopilot engaged) for that long while swapping seats you have no business flying for an airline anyway.

If that check airman was more comfortable in the left seat (with tiller available), he absolutely should switch seats. He is the Captain, remember?

Soliciting avialable resources (asking for another pilot on board) is just good CRM, even though he was surely 100% capable of doing it all himself.

The flightdeck door had to be opened to render medical help for the ill pilot. You have to try to save his life, and that means opening the door. Believe it or not, there is not a terrorist on every flight every day waiting for the flightdeck door to be opened because the pilot is having the 'Big One'.

A little common sense could go a long way....

typical Flightinfo.com Monday quarterbacking.

the crew did a commendable job. the Captain performed well within his Captain's authority. end of story.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back