• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PAX Helps Land CO 757?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It certainly was the Captain's decision as what to do and there are many different choices he could have made that all would have worked or been "appropriate".

Personally I would have been more distracted keeping an eye on the unkown in the cockpit with me.

One thing to consider though is that even though there were no aircraft systems problems at the time doesn't mean that it was guaranteed to stay that way. If an engine goes or you lose a hydraulic system you certainly would want some help up front.

Not to mention the same thing that incapacitated the first pilot (an unknown at this point) could have struck down the second pilot, leaving an empty cockpit or an FA at the controls. A private pilot could at least work the radios and keep the blue side up.

very sad, but great outcome.

I bet he can't wait to be as good as you someday. Maybe send him a poster of yourself.
I actually have one:
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Baby-Pilot-Posters_i1237699_.htm
How can you not like me now? Here is the exchange that I replied to:

Originally Posted by brainhurts
OK, So the Captain is incapacitated. The FO calls for pilots in the cabin. The passenger/pilot comes forward and sits in the right seat? How did the FO get over to the left seat? WTF
Quillpig: Um, by standing up, moving over and sitting down again? It probably made taxiing a heck of a lot easier.

I asked a reasonable question and answered his reply with a mutual tone of disrespect and sarcasm. OK maybe a little escalation. I guess in retrospect I could have made it a little fuzzier and more nurturing. I am sorry Quillpig. I lost my temper. Its just that your words hurt me.....and....it hurt.

Last edited:
What if the check airman was just more comfortable in the left seat? Would that be a valid thought process for the seat swap?
Actually, that is a great one. I guess my problem comes from too many seat swaps in a prior life. The reason I am conditioned not to seat swap (with no one in the other seat) comes from aircraft ops spec's and also the FARS that deals with wording mandating that you always have to have a pilot in a seat, and just not having to explain that to the FAA in the investigation. I think the guy did a great job. Its kind of like a loft where there is not one right way to handle the situation. I just don't think for me the first thing I would do is swap seats--again its probably from some conditioning I should probably stamp out. Thats the reason I raised the question.

Last edited:
It would take 5 or 6 seconds maximum to swap seats. If you can't remain in control of the aircraft (with the autopilot engaged) for that long while swapping seats you have no business flying for an airline anyway.
It would take less for a rapid D. Thats why the ops spec for the aircraft calls for there to be a pilot at the controls at all times. I thank you for your opinion of who should be or not be an airline pilot.
If that check airman was more comfortable in the left seat (with tiller available), he absolutely should switch seats. He is the Captain, remember?
As a Captain, I would like the letter "Q" stricken from the english language. Is that a Captain's authority? And as a matter of fact you are wrong. The FAA and the manufacturers have guidelines about no one at the controls and your cowboy attitude is incorrect. This guy did it and it worked out, great. I do not think it will go unnoticed by the FAA. My past training as an instructor and check airman forbade this exact circumstance based on the ops spec of the plane.
Soliciting avialable resources (asking for another pilot on board) is just good CRM, even though he was surely 100% capable of doing it all himself.
I have no problems with getting someone else up front.
The flightdeck door had to be opened to render medical help for the ill pilot. You have to try to save his life, and that means opening the door. Believe it or not, there is not a terrorist on every flight every day waiting for the flightdeck door to be opened because the pilot is having the 'Big One'.
Agreed.
A little common sense could go a long way....

Last edited:
All I hear is "bla bla bla bla bla bla bla"

The PF did land the airplane safely. case closed.

The day I need sarcasm from a 1900 pilot for a reasonable question on a majors public forum has not arrived yet.

Perhaps not, but the day you needed an ego check seems to have arrived long ago. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Actually, that is a great one. I guess my problem comes from too many seat swaps in a prior life. The reason I am conditioned not to seat swap (with no one in the other seat) comes from aircraft ops spec's and also the FARS that deals with wording mandating that you always have to have a pilot in a seat, and just not having to explain that to the FAA in the investigation. I think the guy did a great job. Its kind of like a loft where there is not one right way to handle the situation. I just don't think for me the first thing I would do is swap seats--again its probably from some conditioning I should probably stamp out. Thats the reason I raised the question.
Ex military right? Yes, all the heavies I flew in the AF had the same warnings. The difference between the training in the 121 world and the mil was that the mil actually trains in the traffic pattern and the 121 world trains in the sim, so there is not a phobia about seat swapping with yourself. I think if your opposition on this got a hold of their training departments, and asked what the official answer is you would be 100% correct. In the current 121 AQP environment, it would end up as a debrief. By the way, I thought your reply to Quillpig was about right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back