• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PAX Helps Land CO 757?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are tearing this all apart. The pilot had a medical emergency. I am guessing that they made a PA announcement for a doctor, nurse or paramedic. Then somewhere in this "emergency" they made a call for any Deadheading Pilots. My guess is that this private pilot thought he might be able to "assist".....NOT FLY AND SAVE THE DAY. The IOE captain, being an experienced pilot, said "can you read a checklist and say clear right?" (probably an exageration on this part).

I have 16,000+ hrs., but only maybe 30 hours as single pilot (or occupant), I would just feel better having someone sitting over there. The cockpit gets big and lonely all by yourself.

As far as switching seats, this is a big roomy cockpit (not an RJ or a saab), plenty of room to move around and get comfy.

If all of you guys are soooo worried about the FAA busting him for switching seats, I am surprised that none of you asked if he "donned his oxygen mask". Isnt there an FAR that says if one pilot leaves his seat, the remaining pilot must put on his mask?

This pilot did a good job. He aviated. He navigated. He communicated. He managed the situation.

FA to Copilot, "Good news!"
Copilot to FA, "You found a pilot back there that can help me out?"
FA to Copilot, "No, but I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance."

or how bout:
I'm not a 757 pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

oh wait... one more:
Landing the 757 is so easy a caveman can do it.

The monday morning quaterbacking is awesome. He did what he thought was best during a very crazy situation. I hope I'm never in that situation.

For all of those second guessing him. Do any of you have goals of being an FAA inspector or a future chief pilot, because you sound like one.

The guy did a good job. You will probably never hear about this incident again. Kind of boring now that the age 60-> 65 news eh?

I had no idea this thread was going to go to the $hitter...oh wait this is FI. I should have known better. I apologize for even starting it in the first place; I was just trying to see if in fact it did really happen. Who cares if he switched seats?

Boy do we have quite the F.I. conundrum here...

Seat switching

SIC becomes PIC

Autopilot was on in perhaps IMC

Private PAX becomes SIC (oh dear, can he log it?)

geeeeeez.... what else?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back