• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flyer1015 said:
VAAB, realize though that the Iranian leader has clearly stated he will respond to a war act from any western force by cutting the oil supply.

Once that happens, expect oil to shoot up... beyond $100 a barrel. Then watch our economy, and heck, watch the whole world wide economy take a huge fall.

So by your North Korea analogy/statement:

Doesn't that also apply to Iran ?

Oil prices will exceed $100/barrel, the US ecnomy will fall quite a bit, the worldwide global economy will sag too. Not to mention, that could start a chain reaction of wars in the Middle East... a "all hell breaks loose" situation.
Iran will suffer worse. If it is time to pour rubbing alcohol on the infection to get rid of it, there is no doubt it will hurt. We will be better off doing it now before the infection gets worse.

:laugh: I'm sorry, this is too funny!

And people wonder why the world hates Americans!
1. Stupid comments like this!
2. Loud and obnoxious Americans blabbering in public!
3. Standing out in foreign cities wearing USA or Bud Light t-shirts, shorts, and sandals with white knee-high socks!
4. Extreme xenophobia!
5. Refusal to venture more than 2 blocks from hotel on international layovers!
6. Refusal to go to any restaurant overseas other than US chains like TGI Friday's, Chilli's, etc.
7. If above is not available, one always asks where the closest "American food" is!
8. Misc. disrespectful behavior toward foreign cultures!
Keep it up!

And people wonder why the world hates Arabs!
1. Stupid comments like this!
2. Loud and obnoxious Arabs praying in public!
3. Standing out in foreign cities wearing diapers or towles, robes, and sandals with white knee-high socks!
4. Extreme xenophobia!
5. Refusal to venture more than 2 blocks from stronghold or hideout on international layovers!
6. Refusal to go to any restaurant overseas other than to blow it up.
7. If above is not available, one always asks where the closest "American Infidel" is!
8. Misc. disrespectful behavior toward foreign religon!
Keep it up!

Flyer1015 said:
I'm gonna raise the :bs: BS flag on this one!

You read the Quran? Do you read Arabic?

I'm assuming you read the english translation.

And if there is one thing I've noticed, is that every english translation I came across varied from the one before.

In the english tranlsation, there is no "clearly" for conversion by the sword.

Anyone who reads the english translation of the Quran and says that they can "clearly" see that the book is teaching conversion by the sword, is full of it.

Yes, I've read the english translation.

And conversion by sword?

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the WORLD. No sword spreading involved with that today.

Look at the numbers, even in America. The #1 religion being "converted into" is Islam.
So what version of the Koran and Hadith are all these converts reading. They don't speak Arabic.

Flyer1015 said:
Obviously you have to be able to speak both Arabic and English to translate it in the first place. Thanks, Mr. Obvious.

Even more interesting... Egypt is not a Middle Eastern country. It's an African country.

Try looking at a globe. Remember that large round ball that was in your elementary school social studies class? Yup, that's the one ;)

You missed my point.

The point is that no other country than the USA has been more involved with hte middle east in the bad way, our foreign policy has been crappy in that whole area.

But hey, we got cheap gas as a result !!! Fuel prices were like a buck a gallon, while the rest of Europe and South America paid anywhere from $4 to $6 American dollars, while we were paying $1.

The Royal Family of Saudi Arabia and the Bush administration... explore that relationship.

The bottom line is that we the USA, have helped shaped the problems that is now the middle east. And we have MANY blemishes on our record, like the Iran contra affair.
We have only been the world power for 60 years. Europe split up the ME after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. The real point is that Islam has been at war with western civ for 1300 years. Its only now that Islamists have the technology and capital to bring the war forward. I notice you are using the word "we" as in referencing yourself as an American. That is fine. If you were back in your old country, would you be holding these extremists back at the risk of your life to free your country or would you be out at the anti US rally?

VABB said:
Not to give you a confusing answer, but yes and no.

Yes, it would be a huge economic hit if Iran were to cut the oil supply. Either scenario (Iran or North Korean theater) would be a huge economic blow, but the more riskier of the two is Iran. I'll explain.

South Korea doesen't export much, if any energy abroad. Iran does. While a conflict on the Korean peninsula would have strong negative economic consequences, they aren't comparable to what a halt in oil supply would do. Both scenarios are very bad ones, but when you weigh them the Iranian scenario would be much more detrimental, mostly because you would be cutting off an energy supply to much of the world.

But, there is a flip side to that coin as well. If Iran cuts off oil, they also cut off revenue. Even if Russia, India, and China still purchase oil, Iran will have a surplus. Revenue will still roll in, but not as high as it could. So Iran could face economic reprecussions as well.

Regardless of who attacks who, I wouldn't be surprised to see oil climb anyway. It seems it has gotten to the point where oil prices climb regardless of who is fighting or threatening to fight.

Good response, I agree. Very well said.

So what version of the Koran and Hadith are all these converts reading. They don't speak Arabic.

I don't know. I'd imagine they walk into a Mosque, and are helped by nice people who are willing to help them convert over.

I notice you are using the word "we" as in referencing yourself as an American. That is fine. If you were back in your old country, would you be holding these extremists back at the risk of your life to free your country or would you be out at the anti US rally?

No way would I be at an anti-US rally!

I'd spend my time being a humanitarian and trying to make my community better, and that starts with reaching out to those in need.

I was born a muslim but i know of others who have converted (white americans of european descent) to islam and none of them were converted by the sword. Conversion by the sword was a misnomer issued in the 17th century by Richard Simone, father of the Oratory, in his book The Critical History of the Old Testament to justify the mass conversions that were taking place at that specific time.

To counter the point of why muslims are not doing more? The biggest allies on the war on terrorism are islamic countries: Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, Qatar, Bharain, Egypt...etc. The real question is why is the Bush administration is in bed with the countries that produced 15 of the 19 hijackers.

I just wanted to print part of a Fatwa that was issued in 2005:

"Islam strictly condemns religious extremism and the use of violence against civilian lives. There is no justification in Islam for violence or terror. Targetting civilian's life or property through suicide bombings or any other method of attack is Haram [forbidden] and those who commit these barbaric acts are not martyrs, but criminals."

There is a list of around 200 organizations and mosques who signed it but never got any press. We also work closely with the FBI to turn our own people. But there seems to be a double standard as many previous posters have identified. As stated previously, our bias support of Israel has to stop.

Even to this day, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and either we learn to live together and come to a common understanding and education or we continue spiralling downward. We need education on all sides and some of the ignorant comments posted on this thread is analogous to the same ignorant views on the extremist's side.

As flyer1015 posted above...he brings many valid questions that most americans can not answer.

Look, it's really very simple.

ANY religion that will not let women go to the beach in a bikini (or drive, or be out alone without a man, or learn math, or learn to read, etc.) is living in the past.

As soon as these Muslums figure out what century they are living in things will improve for them economically and perhaps they will have better options than to die for a cause that is naive at best, and silly at worst.

Until then, we will keep fighting them exactly where we want to keep fighting them....over there and not over here.

Sir Humpalot said:
"Islam strictly condemns religious extremism and the use of violence against civilian lives. There is no justification in Islam for violence or terror. Targetting civilian's life or property through suicide bombings or any other method of attack is Haram [forbidden] and those who commit these barbaric acts are not martyrs, but criminals.".

Then as a Muslim, step up to the plate, go over there and stop this mess. That Fatwa is not worth the paper it is printed on if the people of islam don't take responsibility and solve the problem. Give info to the FBI? Give me a break, take responsibility, solve the problem, don't hope someone else (read USA) solves it for you.

I lived in Saudi for two years, closely with Saudi folks. Fine people, exceptional family values. Except one problem, it was always Gods will. Never taking responsibility for any personal failure, that is what makes islam weak, failure to hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

RedBelly said:
Darn straight I do! This is America! If a company doesn't want to hire you because you have too many letters in your name, it is their RIGHT to do so. All of this PC crap has got to end, or it is going to take this great country right down the crapper. It is NOT the governments place to tell private companies and individuals how to conduct business... it is up to the businesses to decide & the marketplace to judge their decisions.

It's not being PC...it is what this country was founded on. If you'll remember history class, the Pilgrims came to this country so they would have freedom of religion. If you don't like a job applicant then don't hire him but it is absolutely not right to not hire someone or fire them based on their religious beliefs. Why? Because this is America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back