• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Over AGE 60 PILOTS TO FLY IN UNITED STATES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
60 rule applies only for 121 for 135 or corporate it does not!

I think they should leave it to 60 and if the pilot wants to fly after 60 go corporate or 135!

Simple as that!

bigbeerbelly said:
Darn right I missed that part! I looked at your twelve page post (after you had previously made a fifteen page post!) and clicked "next" having not read a single word of your "me, me" dribble.

Well sport, I can’t help it if your reading comprehension or intelligence skills are below par. If they were not, we wouldn’t be forced to listen to your empty diatribe now would we? That being said if you are not going to read my actual positions then don’t make your lame assumptions. Especially about my plans.

Just in case you’re still confused (we know you are but I’m giving you a familiar thing for you...the benefit of doubt) the me me me was not about "me", it was about Flopgut. Is there anything else I need to lead you by the hand about?

bigbeerbelly said:
flying the DC-whatever to who-gives-a-rat's-ass-ville" and how its performance was so much better/worse than the "MD-I-couldn't-care-less" extended range whatever! For Christ's sake ... get a life! There are countless worthwhile endeavors you old skin-peeling, grey-haired farts could undertake to help another human being before you expire! Life's not all about you and collecting even MORE wealth!! Move your old tired fanny over and let some of our furloughed military heros have a chance.

I guess having an arrogant and condescending tone is the only way you can argue and debates your points? No problem, I guess it is just the level of intelligence we are dealing with here. Or is it that you have been corrected so many times by the "grey hairs" because of your weak airmanship abilities you feel the need to lash out? Or are you another sufferer of the "I am a legend in my own mind and it is degrading for me to be in the right seat" syndrome?

BTW I never flew anything with the "DC-whatever" prefix. hence the name "B-O-E-I-N-G man". I typed it slower because I know this flew right past your California surfer dude punk haircut earing installed head but you do learn something every day Belly. That is of course if you’d keep you mouth shut for half a second.

bigbeerbelly said:
Boeing ... you knew the rules when you started ... hit the slopes, wax up your board, and go wrestle with your grandkids before you're pushing up the daisies!

The rules also were in place during a time when pensions were not raped and opportunists did not vote out retirement plans for those that relied on those promised traditional plans. You are still having a hard time grasping the essence of what I was saying to Flopgut aren’t you?

bigbeerbelly said:
Why the hard-on to "work till you die"? (thanks again Dizel ... hilarious!) I feel sorry (in a pathetic way) for those poor slobs out there that can't possibly think of anything else to do than drive an aluminum tube and reminisce about the "good old times"

So do I.. I guess you still are having a hard time with the simple fact I am not interested in flying past 60. In fact, I am not really interested in flying past 55. Must be that comprehension problem rearing it’s ugly head again for you. Personally for my situation, I don’t care what happens to the age 60 rule.

bigbeerbelly said:
The LA area paper I read the other day had a large article with facts showing how over 60 general aviation pilots were disproportionately responsible for far more accidents than their demographics represent.

You should work for the FAA. Didn’t they rely on some lame study like that. But if the LA times said that it must be true. I wonder if it has dawned on you that general aviation piltos don't have the same types of intensive training that airline pilots have? Do you believe everything you read Belly?
Or is it you just grasp onto something this lame to make a really weak point?

bigbeerbelly said:
You old geezers are dangerous and you're in denial. If you weren't in denial, you wouldn't be crashing so frequently! How many times has your FO saved you in the last year? Or ... can't you remember that far back??

Gosh I know. What would we do without all the sterling and competent young whipper snappers like you out there? Every time I fly my airplane I am always in fear I won’t have some Johnny Jet Jock like you in the right seat to help me out. I’m headed back to Europe this weekend for about the 1,000th time. Can you give me any advice or tips? I am sure a guy like you that knows all, has seen it all and never misses a thing can provide some tips for me.

I’m also flying my L39 later this morning to brush up on some acro. Are you available to babysit me? Now I am really worried especially after reading such a poignant and cognitive reply from a guy like you.

Are you this much of a prima dona in real life or is this just some persona that leaks out on an electronic forum? Do you talk like this to your fellow pilots at UPS? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Dizel8 said:
How is that diffferent from the thoughts of those wanting to raise the retirement age?

How is it different than thoughts of those wanting to keep it? It is a double edged sword.

Dizel8 said:
Okay, so some want 65, well, I am sure once they get there, many will want just a few more years, heck, why not 70, isn't that the new 60. So let's not limit it at all, pass your medical, you are good to go!

Open the pandoras box, see what comes out:)

I am actually more in favor of the government raising the ridiculous PBGC caps for airline pilots, making SS and medicare available at 60 if they force retirements.

Of course I don't want to belabor that point any longer to see what kind of diatribe Belly comes up with. I'll also might miss out on hearing from Flopgut that all the problems are because of the senior pilots. According to Flopguts principles, this indutry should be in great hands with young guys like Belly at the helm.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Coming to Flight info.com to complain that
"You knew the rule before you started flying"
even though in my heart I know that it is
Bull$hit and there was never any medical
testing then or now to make the retirement
age 60 back in 1959, plus it will eventually
delay "my" upgrade....................................................$5.00

Emailing, sending letters and making many
long distance phone calls to my elected
represenatives..........................................................$50.00

Actually talking to my 60+ year old Senator
telling him that Pilots that get to 60 are no
longer safe to command a commercial
Airliner ..................................................................Priceless!

Consider this...

Flopgut said:
Think ahead to things like loss of license insurance. Claims are going to drive premiums into orbit! Exponetial cost increases with the benefits going disproportionally to senior captains. What a huge transfer of wealth! Not unlike this whole change issue, its a huge windfall for these pilots.

So senior captain X loses his physical at 63.5, collects LOL at captains rate, retires at 65 into Medicare and collects SS. I spend another 3-5 years at FO pay, shell out $400-$600 for LOL premiums, try to work to 65 and then retire and probably get no SS and possibly have no Medicare. Thanks guys.

Age discrimination isn't just about pilots.

How do you feel about 100% of your SS contribution going directly to two retired pilots, both of whom are healthy enough to work?

For example, I retire at 60. You're ten years younger than me and work for ten more years. The last five years of your career, you pay me (for instance) 100% of my SS benefit. Does that get under your skin, even a little?

Read it and weep. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/17/AR2006031702088.html?sub=AR

Coming to Flight info.com to complain about
"age discrimpination" while doing JACK to help
those already retired. Even though in my
heart I know that my career progression
benefitted from the rule and that the current
proposed change tagets one small group (mine!)
of pilots to reap the windfall of 5 extra years
at the top in "my" seat....................................................$5.00

Emailing, sending letters and making many
long distance phone calls to my elected
represenatives...............................................................$50.00

Actually talking to my 12+ year FO
telling him that now I can buy another
vacation house/airplane/wife. Sure is a good thing
I get to stay in "my" seat for another five years. Not to
worry sparky, you'll get another five years too - in the
right seat, but who said life was fair? ..............................Priceless!

General Lee said:
The Supreme Court disagrees with you. They ruled against a group of Southwest pilots who wanted the rules changed. They stated that they would have to change the rules for more groups, like firemen and policemen. I don't want a 62 year old fireman carrying me out of a burning house. Nope.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good point, but if we must retire at 60, then we should get full Social Security benefits at 60, and not have to wait until 65 or 70.

DW

ivauir said:
Coming to Flight info.com to complain about
"age discrimpination" while doing JACK to help
those already retired. Even though in my
heart I know that my career progression
benefitted from the rule and that the current
proposed change tagets one small group (mine!)
of pilots to reap the windfall of 5 extra years
at the top in "my" seat....................................................$5.00

Ah, hit a nerve there did I?

I would like to be the first to propose and offer a solution to your comment above. If the age rule ever changes to age 65 some day that we offer all the guys that were forced out at 60 but that are not yet 65 a chance to come back to the airline they worked for so I don't get that windfall. The airlines would have to retrain them and then they are entitled to there original seniority back above me at SWA until they get to 65 with full benefits! That would make it fair for everyone and I would sign off on that immediately!

Dogwood said:
Good point, but if we must retire at 60, then we should get full Social Security benefits at 60, and not have to wait until 65 or 70.

DW

I have been saying this for many years! Here in lies the whole problem. If we collectively as Pilots never allowed them to do this to us all the age 60 issue wouldn't be as big of a problem as it is!

Latest resources

Back