Over AGE 60 PILOTS TO FLY IN UNITED STATES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear70 said:
Tp.s. the only reason the 23 year old ATP at 1,500 hours doesn't contribute to an accident is because of the 55 year old 20,000 hour guy sitting in the left seat next to him making sure nothing stupid happens a la "oh look, hahaha, stick shaker at 41,0".

Thats right. I use to be that 23 year old. Young, dumb and full...you know the rest. Fortunately my humility took over for my pride and I learned a whole lot from those "old" guys that I am now their age.

They are, to this day, the best guys I have ever flown with. They knew how to be the Captain. Of course that was in a day that they were respected as the Captain.

Bringupthebird said:
Flop- (I leave off the "gut" symbolically to make a statement)

Did you really call me a "clinger"? I've got 18-23 years left. That's alot of clingin'!

Believe it or not, the pro-Age 60 crowd has alot in common with the pro-abortion crowd. Both are relying desperately on laws or judgements that simply don't hold water. Almost every respected lawyer will agree that Roe v.Wade is flawed from a legal standpoint. So too is the Age 60 rule. But it's better (in their eyes) than nothing.

They would be better off to shed the feeble protection they currently have and get a legally rock-solid judgement (in the case of pro-abortion) or iron clad age 60 protection in their respective CBAs (Lossa luck with that civil war).

No, no. Your just clinging to the issue. You think there is something for free at the end of this so you're going along.

I'm not afraid of negotiating. I welcome the chance to improve our lot in life through honest work. Additionally, I don't think it will be difficult for a majority of us to ignore the over 60 Captain demographic in negotiations. Why try to get them any more? They got more than they should have. Matter of fact, if this passes, I think the payscale ought to reverse or count down exponentially past 60 in the left seat. Or be zero! Why not? You can work past 60, but the pay will be zero. Lets drop your health care too. We can put some sort of hicky on your ill gotten gains via the CBA.

What I'm worried about is what people like you are going to dream up next. You don't want to do the heavy lifting via negotiating. You want to rip off your fellow pilots. If it works once, you'll try it again. Your probably going to want to work to 70 or 75 next. You've tried so hard to prove workers are living longer and are healthier, the govt will probably take notice and bump up medicare and SS age more quickly. You'll be crying like a baby again.

Flopgut said:
I'm not afraid of negotiating.
For everyone's sake, I'm glad this won't be a negotiating point.

I welcome the chance to improve our lot in life through honest work. Additionally, I don't think it will be difficult for a majority of us to ignore the over 60 Captain demographic in negotiations.
The nice thing is, ALPA national has to approve your contract before it's ratified. Do you know the average age of most of the voting MEC leadership? :) Incidentally, if ALPA did this, as a private organization, they could be sued for age discrimination. You really should think through your "ideas" before you post them.

Why try to get them any more? They got more than they should have. Matter of fact, if this passes, I think the payscale ought to reverse or count down exponentially past 60 in the left seat. Or be zero! Why not? You can work past 60, but the pay will be zero. Lets drop your health care too. We can put some sort of hicky on your ill gotten gains via the CBA.
Like I said, we can all be grateful you won't be allowed to cash in on your bitterness.

Nice try, though. ;)

What I'm worried about is what people like you are going to dream up next. You don't want to do the heavy lifting via negotiating. You want to rip off your fellow pilots.
"rip off" your fellow pilots?

Oh man, you need some serious therapy for your anger...

Why doesn’t everyone get it? Age-65 means quit (retire) when you want. When you have the money for retirement you quit. And as I've shown in earlier posts, run the numbers yourselves, unless you're very lucky in the stock market, there will not be enough money in anyone's 401k to retire at 60. Age 65 is the normal retirement age in most of the world (except France) for all jobs. Pilots should be no different if their health is OK and they can pass their FAA simulator and airplane checks.

The battle to keep age-60 is most likely lost this year. And if not this year it will surely happen soon there after. I think everyone agrees on this. When an age-60 pilot is forced to retire that is really the extermination of a person and his career. These pilots are supposed to be your colleagues and they are facing extermination. When the war is lost why not see the good age-65 does for everyone instead of stoking the fire for the ovens of the exterminators. Instead of doing everything you can to resist and prevent this inevitable change, why not do the right thing by your senior colleagues and support the change.

This does remind me somewhat of WWII and the mentality of the Germans as they kept up the exterminations as the Allies were only a few miles away and closing in quickly. The more undesirables they got rid of the better, even in defeat.

Are the age-59 pilots on your airline really the undesirables that you want exterminated to the greatest numbers possible before the change comes? Is that why this change is being resisted by some?

Exterminations of the Seniors, is that going to make the younger pilots and their lives better?

Last edited:
Forget the age 60 debate, can anybody tell me how you can make those multiple quote, page long threads without getting timed out?

I can't even read one page of the thread without being timed out by the time I get to the bottom of the page. It is really getting annoying.

Anybody else having this problem?

Oh by the way, I hope that age 60 stays, and I promise to not change my mind when I hit 59. I can't see doing this a day past 60, way too much to do and see out there.

Anybody have any ideas on some settings or something that I can change to keep from getting booted off the board every 3 minutes?

Thanks.

FJ

Lear70 said:
For everyone's sake, I'm glad this won't be a negotiating point.

The nice thing is, ALPA national has to approve your contract before it's ratified. Do you know the average age of most of the voting MEC leadership? :) Incidentally, if ALPA did this, as a private organization, they could be sued for age discrimination. You really should think through your "ideas" before you post them.

Like I said, we can all be grateful you won't be allowed to cash in on your bitterness.

Nice try, though. ;)

"rip off" your fellow pilots?

Oh man, you need some serious therapy for your anger...

Seriously. I sound a lot more bitter than I am. This is just business.

And we certainly can negotiate these sorts of things. There are different layers of harshness. ALPA supports no age change now and they are on solid ground. Additionally, things are probably going to change at ALPA national as well. Remember, it is often the most absurd ideas that become reality. This issue is a good example.

You know the CAL A plan is in danger just as I do. If CAL mgt comes back to threaten it I would like to see our pilots pattern the negotiations of UAL and DAL and seek a bond. Or at least do SOMETHING intelligent. They could probably better themselves. But no. Too many of the senior pilots want the junior pilots to give them a "bond" in the form of re-amoritized career progression. I don't want to be their bank! They didn't have to finance a few extra years work for anyone.

Falconjet said:
Anybody have any ideas on some settings or something that I can change to keep from getting booted off the board every 3 minutes?

You could try the corporate forum...

Flopgut said:
Seriously. I sound a lot more bitter than I am. This is just business.
Well that's good... was worried about your blood pressure there for a while. :)

And we certainly can negotiate these sorts of things. There are different layers of harshness. ALPA supports no age change now and they are on solid ground. Additionally, things are probably going to change at ALPA national as well. Remember, it is often the most absurd ideas that become reality. This issue is a good example.
I disagree. If the President signed a bill requiring the age limit to be increased to age 65 and ALPA actively fought against it by attempting to negotiate it out of existence, they'd be sued so fast by the over-60 crowd that there'd be no ALPA coffer left.

The government can get away with age discrimination. Private businesses can't.

You know the CAL A plan is in danger just as I do. If CAL mgt comes back to threaten it I would like to see our pilots pattern the negotiations of UAL and DAL and seek a bond. Or at least do SOMETHING intelligent. They could probably better themselves. But no. Too many of the senior pilots want the junior pilots to give them a "bond" in the form of re-amoritized career progression. I don't want to be their bank! They didn't have to finance a few extra years work for anyone.
I agree with you about the CAL A Fund, no doubt about it.

I also understand your aggravation, but you have to look beyond your own needs and see that a lot of your peers may enjoy the opportunity to fly longer if they want to.

Personally, I'd love to be able to go "part-time" as soon as I could afford it (wouldn't that be a nice thing to be able to do as a pilot?). Turn this job into an enjoyable hobby while my off-time is spent doing other things I enjoy.

Oh yeah, p.s. Falconjet. Multiple quote page-long posts are easy if you type 100+ word per minute. :D

Last edited:
UndauntedFlyer said:
The battle to keep age-60 is most likely lost this year. And if not this year it will surely happen soon their after......Instead of doing everything you can to resist and prevent this inevitable change, why not do the right thing by your senior colleagues and support the change......

What if we have done all we can do for them? What if they won't even help themselves? I'm certainly not waiting on them to do anything for me. Senior pilots at my airline would sell out junior ones for a ham sandwich.

This probably will change this year. Its as close as it has ever been. I'm worried about what they will try to pull next. I fully expect that if we increase the age to 65, in 5 years we'll all be subjected to part 2 of this crap and they will want to work til 70!

BTW, why don't you do the right thing by YOUR senior colleagues and support their return to work if they are under 65? Not one of you are advocating anything like that.

Lear70 said:
Well that's good... was worried about your blood pressure there for a while. :)

I disagree. If the President signed a bill requiring the age limit to be increased to age 60 and ALPA actively fought against it by attempting to negotiate it out of existence, they'd be sued so fast by the over-60 crowd that there'd be no ALPA coffer left.

I also understand your aggravation, but you have to look beyond your own needs and see that a log of your peers may enjoy the opportunity to fly longer if they want to.

:D

No, lets let them work, just change the pay dynamic. In a past career endeavor, I worked in a shop where we negotiated overtime to be quite lucrative in the first two hours, but then drop to zero after what we all agreed was too long. It was a safety thing and what we had to worry about was the greedy guy who would try to work two shifts and cut his arm off or get a coworker killed.

I am looking past my own needs. I'm looking at what my unions position is and I'm looking at the results of the comprehensive study they did. The majority of airline pilots don't want it changed. Plain and simple. You need to look past your own needs and tow the line. I was not happy when ALPA ambushed us with the retirement age survey. I thought they timed it in a way that would exclude a lot of furloughed and yet to be hired types, especially at CAL! But I decided before that came out I was going to go along with it. Well, the results came out and the majority don't want it changed. That what makes this such BS. Just like a bunch of prima donna airline pilots, go mustang on the clear majority and try to advantage themselves.

Latest resources

Back