Over AGE 60 PILOTS TO FLY IN UNITED STATES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UndauntedFlyer said:
Air Carrier Incident Rates (per 1000 pilots)
Involving Air Carrier Pilots: 1990-1999

http://age60rule.com/samschart.gif
FAA statistics show that air carrier pilots aged 60 and over have a superior safety record as compared to other pilot age groups within either Part 121 or Part 135.

Looks like the socalled and much maligned Gen X actually fares the best, whod a thunk it.

Occam, dammit you beat me to it. The very basics of logical reasoning are lost on most.
Prove to me it won't is a better question.

Occam's Razor said:
Ha ha. Good one!

If you seek change because of $$, fine. But don't trot out "it'll enhance safety" without being prepared to prove it.

My point is prove that it will affect safety.

I'm not "trotting out" anything. We all know that this issue is about greed not safety. But the ones who bring up the "safety issue" are fooling themselves.

I just don't see where there is any proof on either side of the issue.

And I personally think the burden of proof is on those to prove it won't.

Everyone can argue all day about this issue. But when it comes down to it, the ones who don't want the rule change are FO's and young Captains. The irony is that they will change their mind when they are not one of those.

Last edited:
Good luck explaining why the onus is on him.

Occam's Razor said:
That's what YOU must prove.

I don't have to....I like the rule!

My point is prove that it will affect safety.

After reviewing the thread with your posts, which wasn't easy, I see your point which is unique. You have said if it ain't broke don't fix it. There lies the fault in your premise. Your implying that flying past 60 may break an already safe system. There is no reliable quantifying data to say one way or the other. As well as there is no data for ages 55-60 or 20-25 or 40-45.

So therefore, why can you say with an ounce of certainity that this rule change could affect safety. How many pilots have retired at you company and you said to yourself that there is no way this age rule applied to them. To me...most. There are some that I believe should retire at 60. but I certainly felt that way when they were 55. Some there is not too early.

Even mentioning the word safety in this debate is worthless. If we are honest with ourselves we will use the word greed. Because thats whats its all about. Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

Last edited:
TAZ MAN said:
Why do I need to prove the rule? It was a political move in the late fifties. Totally not related to safety.

I don't like or dislike the rule. At this point it makes no difference to me.

You like the rule because it benefits you.

And thats OK. You just keep trying to justify that the question of safety may be the only way to keep from changing the rule to benefit you.

(sigh)

For a while there I thought you understood.

My bad.

Whole Can Of Scheduling Worms Being Opened UP!

ICAO is going to 65 for the captain with an under 60 FO. IF (and that's a huge IF!) that happens in the US then my question is what happens when the 61-64 yr old FO holds (by seniority) a line that a 64 yr old captain is awarded? Does the captain's seniority "push" (i.e., outweigh, is superior to?) the FO's? What if the younger FO is senior to the older Captain? This happens at my airline with surprising frequency. We have no mandatory upgrade requirement and a significant number bypass upgrade for many years due to quality of life/bidding considerations. I'm sure the old geezers have thought about all these scenarios and have ready answers. I can't imagine anyone proposing a change to a nearly 50-yr old regulation without having thought through the many challenges that are sure to be illuminated.

BBB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back