Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ornstein letter to UA VP of Operations- Mesa guys seen this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So for the folks that argue that JO is a good businessman...

1. A good businessman would have never found himself in a contract where he has to take a $30 million dollar performance concession.

2. A good businessman, doesn't sign a contract that allows him to lose money on a fee for departure basis.

3. A good businessman, wouldn't allow conditions to continue, where he is losing pilots at a rate 4 times higher in one domicile than others, due to the conditions.

4. A good businessman, certainly wouldn't junior assign relatively happy pilots, from their comfortable Western domicile, to a craphole like ORD, just so he can lose those guys at a rate 4 times higher as well.

5. A good businessman would have reduced his flying in ORD, to account for the shortage in pilots, rather that steal those resources from other codeshares.

6. A good businessman, would have already put some kind of retention incentive plan in place, rather than do nothing...all the while losing 60-75 pilots a month since January.

7. A good businessman, doesn't have to scream at his upper managers over the telephone/PA system, to get his point across.

8. A good businessman, doesn't spend more time managing a profitless Hawaii operation and a suspect Chinese endeavor, all the while ignoring the fundamental problems of his revenue generating core business.

9. A good businessman, is confident enough to put a management staff in place that will actually disagree with him when he is wrong. Anything else, makes you a dictator and a tyrant, not a leader.

10. A good Board of Directors would recognize when they do not have a good CEO in place, and would replace said "good businessman."

- Six

JO is a sociopath! http://www.mesa-air-sucks.com/sociopath.htm

Persons with Anti-Social Personality Disorders (aka Sociopath or Psychopath) are those individuals exhibiting just three or more of any of these symptoms.
  1. failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
  2. deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
  3. impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
  4. irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
  5. reckless disregard for safety of self or others
  6. consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain steady work or honor financial obligations
  7. lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
A mnemonic that can be used to remember the criteria for antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) is CORRUPT
  • C - cannot follow law
  • O - obligations ignored
  • R - remorselessness
  • R - recklessness
  • U - underhandedness
  • P - planning deficit
  • T – temper
JO has GOT IT ALL! & CFise is a troll!

A good businessman will have you so fired you will be begging to keep your job.

So for the folks that argue that JO is a good businessman...

1. A good businessman would have never found himself in a contract where he has to take a $30 million dollar performance concession.

2. A good businessman, doesn't sign a contract that allows him to lose money on a fee for departure basis.

3. A good businessman, wouldn't allow conditions to continue, where he is losing pilots at a rate 4 times higher in one domicile than others, due to the conditions.

4. A good businessman, certainly wouldn't junior assign relatively happy pilots, from their comfortable Western domicile, to a craphole like ORD, just so he can lose those guys at a rate 4 times higher as well.

5. A good businessman would have reduced his flying in ORD, to account for the shortage in pilots, rather that steal those resources from other codeshares.

6. A good businessman, would have already put some kind of retention incentive plan in place, rather than do nothing...all the while losing 60-75 pilots a month since January.

7. A good businessman, doesn't have to scream at his upper managers over the telephone/PA system, to get his point across.

8. A good businessman, doesn't spend more time managing a profitless Hawaii operation and a suspect Chinese endeavor, all the while ignoring the fundamental problems of his revenue generating core business.

9. A good businessman, is confident enough to put a management staff in place that will actually disagree with him when he is wrong. Anything else, makes you a dictator and a tyrant, not a leader.

10. A good Board of Directors would recognize when they do not have a good CEO in place, and would replace said "good businessman."

- Six

I only wish I weren't so darn ethical, because I've got a truckload of sick time that's never going to be used. Ah well.

You guys make me giggle like a little girl. You think JO is the devil and Mesa is the evil empire yet you have earned sick time that you won't use for your own mental health because you want to be ethical.

Yeh - this is a pilot group with the balls to strike, no doubt about that!!! You're too scared to take sick time.......

:rolleyes:
89% PHX "hard" lines, min guarantee 10 days off.

People in PHX are getting hosed, and people in BNA are either getting hosed or about to be. But that's not true in all bases.

In all systems, if you do get >10 days off, you are now a prime target for a junior assignment . . . because they can't reduce anyone else below the contractual minimums . . . so no matter what you're awarded, you'll only get 10.

Yet this is plain not true - I got 12 days off last bid, I have friends who get >10 days off, I have friends in the Delta and US Air system getting more than 10 days off. The fact that you think the world revolves around PHX is fine, but it doesn't.

I'm not arguing Mesa is a wonderful place to work, that JRAs don't occur, but to state that ALL pilots are on 10 days off is wrong, and it should be corrected.

UA has stolen flow times from ACA, Air Wisconsin, and WestAir in years past. Now it's all the current carriers and it's done under the guise of CORA. CORA is not supposed to sub anything within 45 minutes of scheduled departure, but does frequently. CORA is not supposed to sub anything that has departed the gate, but does. This has been brought to the powers that be at United many times and they play stupid and say things like, "Gee, CORA isn't supposed to do that", or "I'll have to talk to the programers, but right now I can't do anything about the 6 hour delay you just got".

United came to all their Express carriers shortly after the DEN blizzard and couldn't figure out why everyone's on-time had slipped. I honestly don't know if the VP's and higher know or are just simply looking the other way.

P
Yet this is plain not true - I got 12 days off last bid, I have friends who get >10 days off, I have friends in the Delta and US Air system getting more than 10 days off. The fact that you think the world revolves around PHX is fine, but it doesn't.

No, the Mesa "world" revolves around it's biggest domiciles, which are PHX, ORD, and IAD. In all domiciles, it's 100% min days off (8) for reserves. In PHX, it's 89% min days off for lineholders (10).

Moving on to ORD . . . greatest number of lines have either min (10) or slightly better (11). HOWEVER . . . attrition is extremely high in ORD due to out of controlled junior assignments. 1600 junior assignments in one bid alone! The majority of these pilots are getting awarded days off taken away routinely .. and these masses are speaking with their feet.

IAD . . .slightly better, and fewer JRA's. So yes. You may actually get 11 days off. Or even 12. This bid. But what about next bid? Or the next? Could your domicile be the next PHX?

So . . despite what "a couple of your friends" say, fact is this company doesn't bat an eye at taking away days off; the ONLY thing that stops them from reducing to just 24/hrs off every 7 days are the contractual mins. Every other job in the western world employers think long and hard about asking employees to come in on their days off . . . Mesa just thinks of those days as a scheduling tool.

Still doesn't bother you? I suggest you get a life outside of work. Have a family, have some kids, then explain to them why you have to YET AGAIN cancel your plans with them because Mesa took away one of your days off 24 hours before you thought you WERE off.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back