Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ornstein letter to UA VP of Operations- Mesa guys seen this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One more thing. In a Pilots only section of the Mesahub someone has posted the tail numbers headed for China. They came from the company internal website. I don't know if they (the company) intended for that to become public but it did. There are 42 tail #s in all. Most are from the UAL group. They are all CRJ 200s

The letter is legit as far as I know. Supposedly it was distributed internally at Mesa but wasn't "private, company only info" for UA or Mesa.

So is it true as Johnnie O. says? It's so bad on the UA side and so good on the "non UA side" that guys are mostly leaving on the UA side? Or is it bad all around and he's just using that as an excuse?

In speaking with departing crewmembers we repeatedly hear that the driving factor behind the decision to leave is schedule disruption, corresponding loss of pay and quality of life.

Seems simple. Pay your people full cancellation pay and they won't be leaving due to loss of pay or quality of life. AWAC flew out of there for years with CORA and at a minimum, we made more money when we were cancelled. Nobody left because they couldn't pay their rent at the end of the month due to all the cancelled legs. Fix the contract and people won't leave you dumb @ss!!!

I think JO is right here. I think he is on to something and while I'm no fan of him or his company he is right.

Flame away.

I find it funny he blames pilot attrition on UAL instead of placing the blame where it lies. The POS contract that his pilots work under. That contract is clearly his fault.

Example, he says pilots don't like the disruption and the LOSS IN PAY. We DUH, pay your pilots for cancelations outside the pilots control.

Don't schedule your duty days to be as long. At XJT we don't schedule line pilots for any more than a 12.5 hour duty day. That gives you 3 hours of delays before you time out (15.5 duty contractualy).

Allow your pilots more days off and scheduling control. Trip trading, 12 days off min, etc. At XJT the UNION, yes the UNION builds the lines. A hard faught and negotiated bennefit. The provissions that we adhere to are things like 2 days off in 7. Max 28.5 in 30. Max 95 hour lines. Max 88 hour line average. Trip mix etc etc etc.

People always say, "don't blame the pilot group" when some bottom feeder gets new flying. It's not the pilots fault, management makes the decissions. THIS IS WHY MANAGEMENT CAN MAKE THOSE DEALS PEOPLE!!!!! This is how not standing up for yourself and your profession hurt pilots at other airlines. When you allow this type of flying you allow your company to undercut the competition. It's not in the pay rates. We all make pretty close to the same $/hr amount. It's the scheduling section of the contract that cost the most money.

JO sucks. However, as much as it pains me to say this, he's dead on here (except that whole, "blaming pilot attrition on UAL" thing).

UAL royally screws their Express carriers in the way they handle the operation from the top down to below wing...then blames the Express carrier when, in most cases, they are just operating within the parameters given to them by UAL.

I sometimes think UAL deliberately sabotages their Express carriers to avoid paying out any bonuses for attaining what should be pretty easy contract goals. If that's the case, it seems they forget who's paint is on the plane.

Mesa sucks...always will with JO at the helm...but not all of their performance shortfalls in the UAL system can be attributed to them alone.

Well to compare "apples to apples" again, SkyWest operates within the same conditions at ORD, and still has the bulk of the UAX flying, as well as the best on-time arrival and customer satisfaction of any of the UAX carriers. Mesa is consistently at the bottom of every goal chart. is UAX singling out MESA? I don't think so. I know it's an old 90's term, but consider JO this era's Spin Doctor.

Interesting. As much of a sucka that is JO, he really does understand his position. He's just going out of his way to make a point: United- fix your crap or you will lose more feed from us. He's got the leverage because the regional pilot market is pretty much tapped. It's not like TSA, Skywest, or CHQ can pick up any more flying. I'd bet he gets his way and when Mesa attrition slows (even though it probably is still a staggering number) he'll be rewarded with more flying, because he spoke up first.

Sorry I completely disagree with your assertion. I am ex ACA and when the whole Bain consulting shakeup was occurring in the UAX system many of us, including myself thought that we were too big and important to be replaced by United. Well, ACA and Air Willy are history as far as United is concerned. Mesa's feed could be replaced relatively quickly by numerous regionals such as express jet or pinnacle. Don't kid yourself no regional, not even skywest, is protected or secure.

Latest resources

Back