• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Organization Of Black Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would I? Once a pilot is hired on a seniority list all are considered equal. Any pilot has and will upgrade when thier seniority allows.

So we use affirmative action to get the pilot hired and then once he is everyone is equal? I

I suggest a ride on a inner city public bus. It is a real eye opener for us Wonder Bread people...

Poverty is color blind and I am sure some of the people on this forum have ridden that inner city public bus not as an experiment but because that was where they lived.

[
Uh, maybe because there's a couple hundred years of history of racism? There's no "White Pilot's Association" because there's no need for one.

Chip on your shoulder? Naw... (psst, my family weren't even in this country when slavery existed)

Dont respond to this ******************************bag. He said in an earlier post that he fears obama getting elected and taking advantage of black power to control the white population. This guy is a racist.

I'm a racist? You don't even know me. And Jesse Jackson said (I quote) "When Obama gets elected we will finally have a serious dialogue about reparations in this country". That sounds a lot like control to me.

John,

Make sure you dont throw in colors with your white hood. I recommend washing your white costume together with your uniform with clorox bleach.

I'll keep that in mind. Be sure you only wash the Black Panthers shirt with color safe bleach.

Thanks for some very positive comments so far from most of the people on this thread. My words this morning were a little harsh but definitely applicable to Clueless types like Pennekamp and 406. My god I hope you two never procreate!!

Too late... I have several kids. and they have been raised to be color blind. As it seems your momma failed to do.

To all of you conveniently playing the race card rather than engaging in interesting conversation, I call them as I see them. OBAP, UNCF, and any organization that offers benefits solely based on race are racist, as by Dr Martin Luther King's definition of a colorblind society. He would not be impressed with blacks saying they need an advantage because they are black. This is what all of you fail to realize. And no, I am not a racist. I hate everyone equally.

Racism is racism. Organizations such as OBAP feel it is acceptable to have a race-based agenda because their constituents have historically been persecuted. I, and others, disagree. If this society is to progress to one of color-blindness (the ideal as espoused by MLK) then organizations that are race-based continue to perpetuate racism. Taking the emotion out of this touchy subject, I fail to see how anyone can argue this important point. Attempting to "right" a wrong with another wrong (affirmative action) is wrong, IMO.

The Organization of Black Airline Pilots is clearly a group of individuals identified by their race. The same goes for the Congressional Black Caucus (promotes causes of interest in the black community), the United Negro College Fund (ostensibly funds gathered benefit only blacks), the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (again the organization's title appears self-explanatory).

I do not support any organization which attempts to divide our society based on race, gender or sexual orientation. For this reason, I am also not a proponent of Women In Aviation.

If not now, then when exactly do we internalize the teachings of great civil rights leaders and start treating (judging) each other by the content of one's character rather than the color of one's skin? The same question goes for gender?

BBB

Well said! MLK would not be impressed with the current state of the black community.

As a white guy (I take it), would you be willing to go to the inner DTW city in uniform and talk to kids (some might have guns in class)? I would be uneasy... So what's wrong with an organization setting up a conduit to get it done?

I would. But I'm a racist, right? (And why do you assume they have guns?)

When their organization is no longer needed it will go away. And you're not in any position to judge whether it's needed.

He has no right to judge? Why, because he's not black? And you are, so that gives you superior knowledge of the subject? YOU FRICKING PIG RACIST!

It's a double edged sword, pal. Hate to break it to you, but here in 'da ATL, most blacks are 10 times more racist than whites. Whites DO NOT own the franchise on racism. You all just call it justified when you do it.

MLK taught to judge someone by the content of his character, not the color of his skin. I missed the part where he said let's wait 50, 75, 100 years to begin treating each other with "color-blindness". OBAP is not correcting racism, it is perpetuating it by its divisive nature. Do you see my point?

Why doesn't OBAP seek out all underprivileged youth to mentor into aviation? Why do they selectively promote black youth? An organization who's function it is to promote aviation to a specific race is inherently racist by definition, regardless of who may or may not join the organization.

I think MLK would not have approved of any organization that promoted a particular race over another. It goes against the basic tenets of his teachings.

BBB

Again, well said.

OBAP's Mission Statement

Yeah, it speaks for itself. It clearly is discriminatory. Again, I think it does no harm, but it's discriminatory nature detracts from what would be a good intent.

Fins, you damn racist! How dare you criticize a black organization. Even if it pledges to promote members of their particular race!

What if an organization used the term "white" in its mission statement? All hell would break loose, that's what. The double standard that they can get away with something they don't let us get away with is what bothers me.

No there isn't. However if I founded an organization that had a political agenda of helping whites to advance in aviation I would be labeled a racist and my posts would be deleted.

Exactly. What say you, TWA Dude?

So what is your point? do you feel the need to create a white pilot organization when an overwhelming majority of whites do not have obstacles getting hired as pilots?

Really? No wonder everyone I know has been picked up by UPS, FedEX, Delta, etc...

Oh wait, THEY HAVEN'T! Everyone has "obstacles" getting hired. Why do blacks and other minorities feel they are the only ones? Racism. But it's ok for them.

How does the KKK discriminate or have prejudice?

FWIW, if you read history, the KKK didn't just go after blacks. They were a group of vigilante law enforcement in the rural south, and their mission was to keep order. Unfortunately, that included enforcing segregation. However, if it was learned that a white male was beating his wife, for example, the KKK showed up and took care of him. It was only later that its role morphed into a purely hate driven white supremacist organization.

Latest resources

Back