• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Open letter to Skyboss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kind of like a Fire Fighter then??? Or a cop??? I would venture to say that the probablity of them having everything go wrong is significantly higher than that of a Pilot. All for a salary less than 1/4 that of a Pilot.

That pretty much sucks.

Skyboss said:
Kind of like a Fire Fighter then??? Or a cop??? I would venture to say that the probablity of them having everything go wrong is significantly higher than that of a Pilot. All for a salary less than 1/4 that of a Pilot.

That pretty much sucks.
I don't have any personal experience with airline flying, but from talking to various people who do, I've learned that it isn't the daily work that makes pilots worth good pay, it is when something breaks or goes wrong.

I can recall several crashes where pax survived due to the heroic actions of the pilots, when otherwise everyone would have died.

You pay experienced pilots good money so that when something does go wrong, they have a better chance of fixing it than if you stuck some inexperienced kid up front.

I may only have 400 hours, but I can tell you that when I had 100 hours, I thought much like you did, "gee, how hard is this flying, anyone can do it, why do I need thousands of hours".

Now I know better, because as I've flown more, I've started to understand how much there is to learn.

Fly safe!

skyboss

Just a few more acronyms for you to figure out. You did well on a previous post. Let's see how you do with these.

GR
OWU
PA
NDG
ETA
LI
FE

Whirlwind said:
Man, if only I had gotten to fly a jet when I was 14. :D The biggest thing I flew then was straight and level in my uncle's old beater 182.

You know what? I have no doubt that a few kids out there get to do this, and you may well be one of them. The only thing I'd suggest is that you not reveal who it is that your mom works for, you might get her into trouble by posting here that she lets you fly, even if with her.

Btw, we've got one customer here who's son got his private helicopter ticket a few months ago, and his fixed-wing ticket last year on his 17th birthday. He is working on his commercial in both the helicopter and CFI and plans to take both checkrides on his 18th birthday.

When I was 18, I was too busy chasing girls to do all this cool stuff! :D

Fly safe!

Yeah I went back and changed a lot of stuff. I never really thought about the stuff I was saying and now I feel pretty stupid.

hahah, i know what it says, but i gotta be a smart ass and beat him too it...

Ground Return
Ottawa (airport id):D
Pressure Altitude
Non Directional Gyro:eek:
Estimated Time Enroute
Light Icing:confused:
Flight Engineer:)

Cheers:D

Citationkid said:
Yeah I went back and changed a lot of stuff. I never really thought about the stuff I was saying and now I feel pretty stupid.
Hey, don't sweat it, we've all done dumb things (myself included) online.

The key is to take your lumps, and move on without dragging it through the mud. :)

Fly safe, and tell your Mom you love her! ;)

Folks, it's just possible that Skyboss is what he says he is...well, not entirely. I don't believe he's God's gift to aviation.

I think it's likely, however, that he is an Airport Management major who is now on staff at a large field. Whether consciously or unconsciously, he has come to believe that this makes him an expert on aviation. It doesn't, no more than being the captain of an R.J. makes me an expert on aviation.

It takes a great deal of education and study for someone to succeed in airport management. Over time, they develop the impression that the same is not true for pilots. To them, flying isn't a profession. It's a trade, like driving a bus. All it takes are good reflexes, reasonable hand-eye coordination, and good vision. We pilots tend to see airport management types as egg-headed theorists. Accountants with delusions of grandeur, and no knowledge of how the real world works.

We'll never fully understand Skyboss and his ideas, and he'll never understand ours. And this forum certainly hasn't helped. If anything, it's demonstrated just how clueless we are about each others' fields.

Any of us would probably sound just as foolish on a web-board for airport/airline managers...particularly if we approached it with the same level of arrogance: "any airport manager who makes more than $50K/year is overpaid...and Maglev trains will make them irrelevant."

(Note: ABC news reported that just building the track for a hypothetical maglev train will cost about $38 million per mile.)

One last thing. Are "Skyboss" and "Secks" the same person?

Latest resources

Back