One Rate for Comair? Thanx SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dave Benjamin said:
Sorry you whored yourself out buddy. What you did was deplorable. To try and defend it now is pretty amazing. Most people can acknowledge their mistakes and move on.

The bottom line is you offset the cost of federally required training. Whether you wrote the check to FSI or COex makes no difference. Coex didn't have to pay a dime for your indoc and sim training. Southwest pays all new hires an excellent wage during training regardless of whether they bought a type or have it thanks to their previous job.

A 737 type is not required by the FAA to be an FO at Southwest.

Your new hire training for the pathetic Coex rookie FO job is and was required by the FAA for you to be employed. You worked about a year for free. And after a measly eight years you recouped half the money. Wow I'm really impressed. Did you get to give Dresser's butt a big kiss too?
Whats really sad is you PFT'd back in the the 90's and you're still there today. Sucks to be you, doesn't it? I'm guessing no degree and the flow-thru to big Co didn't quite work out.

Give me your mailing address. I'll send you some spare change. Maybe you can go buy some respect.

What ever pal, first off I do not work for CO-EX, There is nothing deplorable about what any of us did, that is your opinion, you must think alot of the pilots you fly with or know are deplorable, but you do not sound very intelligent so they probably take it with a grain of salt, oh I forgot to mention Valujet on the above list also and I am sure there were more but that is all I can remember right now maybe Mesa did not require it, they did however have a program through San Juan College, I do not however remember the specifics. Grow up, poor management is what has caused the problems today.
I understand that you are pathetic and that is OK, don't worry you will be Ok, one day they will make a pill for ignorance until then sorry!

When I was growing up my parents instilled in me that if something was fundamentally wrong, immoral, or unethical that I shouldn't do it. They pointed it out that I still shouldn't do it even if many of my friends or peers were doing it. Just because many people PFT'd doesn't make it right. Look how many pilots are on the master scab list. Does that make being a scab OK? I'm not saying PFT has anything to do with scabbing. All I'm pointing out is that the same faulty logic you use to justify PFT could be used by a scab to justfiy his actions. Didn't your Mom ever say something like "just because all your friends are jumping off a cliff......" Anyhow PFT was wrong and most people that I've spoken to have some regrets about participating.

None of my FO's have PFT'd because my airline has never been a PFT airline. So I don't think any of FO's are deplorable as you suggest I might feel. In fact the vast majority of my FO's are exemplary pilots and fun to work with. Most of the FO's were either CFI's or 135 pilots.

I didn't work for Mesa but their pilot development program was not PFT. It was simply a flight school where graduates had the opportunity to interview with the airline. People went there to earn their ratings. For a while they had a pretty good program where you got your ATP in a Baron for a grand and if you passed the ride you got an interview. I never applied at Mesa or had anything to do with their academy. It was not PFT.

Nor is Southwest PFT. Let's review:

Does Southwest pay a good wage starting your first day of ground school?

Does Southwest pay for your hotel during ground school?

Does Southwest pay for ground instructors who teach indoc?

Does Southwest pay for the sims and sim instructors?

Does Southwest receive any substantial economic benefit as a result of their type rating requirement?

Does Southwest care where or how you get your 737 type?

So who is really paying for training at Southwest? The new FO or the airline?

Last edited:
Flyer1015 said:
Mathematically speaking, the "averages" idea works so as long as both groups you speak of are roughly broken down 50/50. In another words, it would assume that there are 50% ERJ-135s and 50% ERJ-145s.

However, it is not 50/50, in fact:

30 of the -135s

236 of the -145s (by end of 2005).

Furthermore, ArcticFlier misses the fact that any XJT pilot who is a 145 captain never sees the 135 rate, even if they fly the 135. I have never ever been paid the 135 rate at my company even though I have flown the 135 many times. Only 135 captains get paid the 135 rate (when they fly the 135) and for soft time. The devil is in the details...

-Neal

Rogue5 said:
I did not, nor did a majority of the pilots on property at this time. SkyWest has hired almost a thousand pilots since that vote was taken, out of a total pilot group of only about 2,200. Many lessons have been learned since then. Many things have changed. The last vote overwhelmingly in the negative was hopefully only the beginning.

Best of luck to you guys in your current battle, though.

We all need it...[/quote

A vote by Skywest pilots means absolutely nothing until you vote for a union.

A vote by Skywest pilots means absolutely nothing until you vote for a union.
I sure am glad that we all voted not to be part of the US Air Jets-for-Jobs program. I know management really wanted that one.;)

Dave Benjamin said:
When I was growing up my parents instilled in me that if something was fundamentally wrong, immoral, or unethical that I shouldn't do it. They pointed it out that I still shouldn't do it even if many of my friends or peers were doing it. Just because many people PFT'd doesn't make it right. Look how many pilots are on the master scab list. Does that make being a scab OK? I'm not saying PFT has anything to do with scabbing. All I'm pointing out is that the same faulty logic you use to justify PFT could be used by a scab to justfiy his actions. Didn't your Mom ever say something like "just because all your friends are jumping off a cliff......" Anyhow PFT was wrong and most people that I've spoken to have some regrets about participating.

None of my FO's have PFT'd because my airline has never been a PFT airline. So I don't think any of FO's are deplorable as you suggest I might feel. In fact the vast majority of my FO's are exemplary pilots and fun to work with. Most of the FO's were either CFI's or 135 pilots.

I didn't work for Mesa but their pilot development program was not PFT. It was simply a flight school where graduates had the opportunity to interview with the airline. People went there to earn their ratings. For a while they had a pretty good program where you got your ATP in a Baron for a grand and if you passed the ride you got an interview. I never applied at Mesa or had anything to do with their academy. It was not PFT.

Does Southwest receive any substantial economic benefit as a result of their type rating requirement?

disregard... not worth the effort

Surplus
Did you PFT? Am I to believe you like your contemporary a fellowaviator were the exceptions to the rule?

Dave Benjamin said:

Dave:
All good and valid points. You are correct sir. Southwest pays you from day one. Doesn't hold your money in an escrow account. They only require a type rating. It is their preference, my only gripe is that I can't afford one being married with kids. If I could, I'd be there in a nanosecond!
Jehtplane, much like a neutered dog, doesn't get it! But just look at most of his/her posts. The kid's probably 12 years old. Big friggin surprise there!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back